BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
crock921
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Seeking wash tips

What are the best basic soaps and sponges to use to avoid the dreaded swirl and keep the car looking good? How is the turtle wax wash and wax stuff? Is a regular car brush or mitt good enough for washing?

I usually dry with a chamois or absorbent towel, then hit the wheels with McGuires and the tires with a tire shine foam.

As far as soon as wax goes, about once every 3 months adequate down in miami?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (E88)

There are probably as many different suggestions than there are people on this forum. Check the sticky in this forum group there's a good pdf that has some good information.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

This article will walk you through the important 3 bucket wash process and will also provide some great product recommendations along the way.

How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider

Here are some of my personal favorite products for wheel/tire cleaning as well as washing & drying.

My Go-To Wheel and Tire Cleaning Products by Zach McGovern

Washing:
2 Buckets & 2 Grit Guard (Package) - Essential equipment for safe washing!
Optimum Car Wash - A great maintenance shampoo.
Sheepskin Wash Mitt

Drying:
Microfiber Waffle Weave Towel
Metro Master Blaster - The safest way to dry your car is to not touch it at all!
Master Blaster Sidekick - This small blower moves an amazing amount of air and is perfect for making sure you don't have any water left in cracks and crevices!

Let me know if you have any other questions

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #4
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

this guy's videos are f*cking excellent. Check out his youtube page

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
acoustix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i/1M Conversion, MK7 GTI

I highly recommend you check out Larry Kosilla on YouTube. He owns a company out of New York called AMMONYC he has tons of videos and write ups on how to properly care for your paint. Wash methods, polishing methods etc. Great guy!
      02-24-2016, 11:55 PM   #6
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crock921 View Post
What are the best basic soaps and sponges to use to avoid the dreaded swirl and keep the car looking good? How is the turtle wax wash and wax stuff? Is a regular car brush or mitt good enough for washing?

I usually dry with a chamois or absorbent towel, then hit the wheels with McGuires and the tires with a tire shine foam.

As far as soon as wax goes, about once every 3 months adequate down in miami?

Thanks!
Oh sweet dear Crock. Welcome to the world of detailing. You could probably spend as much time buying and reading about detailing equipment and products as you could on the performance stuff. I like the Detailer's Domain blog well enough, and they have nice photography. Check them out. Back when I was an Audi guy, I used their stuff a lot. I just got my 1er so I'm starting to get back into detailing it myself.

My .02 from what I've learned/experienced. First, get thee a foam gun. These things are awesome. Lots and lots of foam helps prevent scratching. Next, get a two-bucket system, preferably on dollies from Grit Guard. They are super-convenient to have and opened my eyes when I sprung for them.
Invest in several mf towels for cleaning all sorts of stuff.
Get some mf mitts, though I see wool is still all the rage. I stick with mf.
Get a decent set of wheel brushes.

The chemicals you throw on is personal preference. Me I like the 1Z Einszett stuff (Anti-Insekt and Cockpit) Sonax for wheels, 3M quick wax, and Adam's. It works for me but experiment. You may prefer a certain scent, bottle design, brand, etc. Lots of subjectivity there.
Most shampoos can be made to work well in a foam gun. I've just read about Chemical Guys Snowflake Melon or something like that and will be trying it. Otherwise, I've been using Adam's car wash for a while with good results.

3 month intervals sounds like a lot for waxing. A good wax should last longer. I get my cars professionally clayed and waxed once a year, but should do it 2x/year.
Appreciate 0