BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
first350
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

N55 non-oem exhaust w/ flapper valve used?

I have a 2012 N55 and live in a quite neighborhood and leave for work around 6am...needless to say I want to keep the car quite when I'm at idle and cruising, but would really love for something louder at WOT.

Does anyone make an exhaust that uses the flapper valve mechanism/vacuum control?? I was hoping the BMW performance exhaust would do that, but from the pics I've seen they also get rid of the flapper valve.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
fullboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 DCT

There's an old hag in my neighbor hood that says my car has a broken exhaust even though it's stock. She's probably going to call the cops on me when I decide to go catless DP and a different exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

As far as I know there aren't any bolt-on options which re-use the flapper valve.

The only option that I'm aware of would be to somehow reuse the flapper valve in a custom exhaust build however I don't think that I've seen it done before. Maybe no one looks to get a 'quiet' exhaust or maybe it's cost prohibitive.

Either way, good luck and let me know how it goes if you go down that path.

With the performance exhaust, there's also the option of 1. Keeping the stock resonator box at the end of the midpipes or 2. replacing it with a Y-pipe. If you choose the first option it won't be so loud.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

It really would not matter even IF you found an aftermarket exhaust that uses the flapper valve. Because... on cold start the valve is open for the first 30 to 60 secs or so... until the engine builds up enough vacuum to pull the flapper valve shut.

I say just get a Performance exhaust and neighbors be dammed.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Right now I have berk mids and berk race and I love it, but cold starts are very obnoxious. Also I am going to get down pipes in a couple months so I figure at this point I have to get replace my race axel back. Option 1 is to replace it with the berk street which is a very good option, however cold starts will still be loud and road trips could get annoying. Option 2 is to have your cake and ear it too. I am going to have catless down pipes to berk mids to the stock axel back. In the stock axel back piping I'm going to add a QTP low profile exhaust cutout. It will be easy to route power to the battery with an inline fuee through an existing gromet and then for an extra $80 I'm going to have a wireless remote so I don't even have to route a wire and switch into the cabin. I probably won't get to this project until April when it is warm out. Also I'm going to weld this myself but an exhaust shop shouldn't charge more than $50 do weld this on. The best part is that this will cost less than any exhaust out there.

Last edited by foofopps; 02-19-2013 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Awesome idea, would definitely be interested to see/hear the final result.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

photobucket sucks!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
first350
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Thnx for the responses! I've had a QTP cutout on a previous car (350z).... And while it was fun, it was another thing I had to do before enjoying the car (turn off traction control, hit sport button,....). Also, the sound was just loud and raspy...not like a refined sport exhaust.

Guess ill keep looking.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofopps View Post
Right now I have berk mids and berk race and I love it, but cold starts are very obnoxious. Also I am going to get down pipes in a couple months so I figure at this point I have to get replace my race axel back. Option 1 is to replace it with the berk street which is a very good option, however cold starts will still be loud and road trips could get annoying. Option 2 is to have your cake and ear it too. I am going to have catless down pipes to berk mids to the stock axel back. In the stock axel back piping I'm going to add a QTP low profile exhaust cutout. It will be easy to route power to the battery with an inline fuee through an existing gromet and then for an extra $80 I'm going to have a wireless remote so I don't even have to route a wire and switch into the cabin. I probably won't get to this project until April when it is warm out. Also I'm going to weld this myself but an exhaust shop shouldn't charge more than $50 do weld this on. The best part is that this will cost less than any exhaust out there.
Did you end up doing this?

My exhaust right now is BMS downpipe, custom resonated 2.5" midpipes and a 3" mufflerless axle back. I like it but like you said cold start is very obnoxious.
I am getting a Varex muffler installed next week. Should be very quiet when closed but pretty much straight through when open.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #10
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

To all people who complain about cold start , try to rev up to 1800rpm or 2k when u start up then it not that loud
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
Malinois
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Pkg, DCT

Exhaust valve

Why do they even have the exhaust valve? What's it's purpose?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #12
bimmer Don
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i m sport

Dinan exhaust has a flapper valve
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #13
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
when i moved into my neighborhood a year ago, i got hate mail saying i needed to fix my exhaust and they would appreciate it if i bought a new one. i'm surrounded by old people. my wife and i are the youngest couple in the neighborhood and i'd say that we're younger by at least 20 years. so the letter was typed, no name, and no return address. but it did go through the regular mail into my mail box. this person was upset because they didn't get up at 730 in the morning and my car resonated up and down the hill. so i put on catless downpipes. i ended up getting a car for $500, 3 months later and thats the car i drive to work. The muffler ended up falling off of that car. so it's pretty loud now too. it did have a bad belt on it and squealed so loud you could hear it from 2 blocks away. that finally broke so i replaced it and now its gone but it's still loud without the muffler. but it's still fun, and i think about the person that wrote that letter, when it's 7 AM in the summer and my buddy with another 1er shows up when we're going on a road trip somehwere, so both of our cars are out there being loud and then i make sure its loud as i'm leaving.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0