BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

The only car offered in North America that would be considered for me is the Carrera T.
It would be hard to replace the 1M, but I saw a T and really liked it.
I am yet to drive one, but hoping to do so next week.
Appreciate 1
FIRSTM143.50
      11-07-2018, 03:29 AM   #24
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
The only car offered in North America that would be considered for me is the Carrera T.
It would be hard to replace the 1M, but I saw a T and really liked it.
I am yet to drive one, but hoping to do so next week.
just found out one of our 1M member here just got one, jaymcars,
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      11-07-2018, 03:41 AM   #25
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
We'll see. I remember when people were on the 4C waiting list, too.

I think the A110 is the most beautiful car to come out in a while, and I do love the light weight. Here's hoping they build a new 2+2 version with a manual for the USA. If they only bring a DCT version to the USA, it would be a hard pass for me. Even the Lamborghini I drove with paddle shifters bummed me out.
yeah, there is 2 4C sitting here at the Fort Myers AR dealer collecting dust
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:07 AM   #26
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
hey i agree with you about manual...

BUT having been a massive fan of the Alpine marque for years, have studied the history of the marque, and have been following the development very closely as well as pre-development; it needs to be understood that Alpine, as a brand, was historically always about focused engineering of race/rally cars and of sports cars. 100 lbs is huge when you're talking about a 2350 lb sports car.

The reality is that as a NEW car that is relaunching the marque of Alpine this 'new' A110 had to be of its own time and we can certainly agree that in the broad, general view of the automotive industry and of sports cars; the DCT gearbox is the current standard gearbox of performance cars.

Do i agree with that? not for me. But as a whole for the industry it's absolutely true. The relaunch of Alpine had to be a success for them....and to appeal to the widest audience they had to do it this way. I do believe the weight savings though...
That's what Porsche was thinking when they produce the 991.1 GT3, hence the hate mail from their true fans and enthusiast, now they offer the 2018 991.2 GT3 with a stick, and OVER 50% was ordered that way, more so than the advance PDK.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:08 AM   #27
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
hey i agree with you about manual...

BUT having been a massive fan of the Alpine marque for years, have studied the history of the marque, and have been following the development very closely as well as pre-development; it needs to be understood that Alpine, as a brand, was historically always about focused engineering of race/rally cars and of sports cars. 100 lbs is huge when you're talking about a 2350 lb sports car.

The reality is that as a NEW car that is relaunching the marque of Alpine this 'new' A110 had to be of its own time and we can certainly agree that in the broad, general view of the automotive industry and of sports cars; the DCT gearbox is the current standard gearbox of performance cars.

Do i agree with that? not for me. But as a whole for the industry it's absolutely true. The relaunch of Alpine had to be a success for them....and to appeal to the widest audience they had to do it this way. I do believe the weight savings though...
That's what Porsche was thinking when they produce the 991.1 GT3, hence the hate mail from their true fans and enthusiast, now they offer the 2018 991.2 GT3 with a stick, and OVER 50% was ordered that way, more so than the advance PDK.
Porsche is a mainstream brand that appeals to a mainstream audience so when their large customer base wants something they can and they can afford to do it.

Alpine was always a 'niche' brand even in its heyday and upon launch was still; so right now it launched with a simplified plan. As they become more successful again perhaps we will see other variations.

The sad thing is; in Europe people are preferring autoboxes. I personally find this tragic but that's how the market is...

Alpine has never really competed with Porsche and philosophically they were always their own thing as well.

I just wish they sold this damn car in the US! Manual or dual clutch at this point i don't even care!
seis-speed2430.50