BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #23
aus
Major General
United_States
585
Rep
8,723
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (10)

People have sent their oil in to Blackstone at 7000 miles with the break-in oil and it was OK. It probalby would make it to 15k that BMW recommends, but 7000-8000 should be fine.

And no need to use 10W60 for the N54.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #24
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
295
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
Put simply 10W-60 oil is thicker at a given high temperature than a 5W-30 oil is.

Now forgetting about turbos (cause I don't know enough about how oil interacts with them), at lets say 150 degrees (C) oil temp, using a 10W-60 oil will provide great protection to the engine by giving everything a nice think coating. Whereas at the same temp, a 5W-30 is giving a thinner coat of oil protection that is inherently going to cause slightly more wear, and "dirty" the oil sooner. So the case for 10W-60 looks good.

However if you're after every HP on offer, 10W-60 oil is a lot harder to push around the engine, and actually creates a slightly less slippery coating with surfaces, so an engine using 5W-30 with rev slightly quicker and potentially have some more horses (or part of a horse) under the bonnet than a similar engine using 10W-60 oil.

Now if BMW recommends 5W-30 oil, that can mean a few things:
1. The engine's oiling systems can't handle/don't like thick oil;
2. The 135i engine has lower oil temps than the BMW M cars;
3. The engine components are designed to wear correctly using 5W-30 oil; or
4. BMW doesn't think 135i owners are going to drive the cars hard enough to warrant full-time usage of a heavier oil.

What this all means, is pretty simple. If you plan on driving the car hard, change the 5W-30 oil more frequently, or use a heavier oil like 10W-60 (unless BMW specially recommends against using it for your car).

Hope that helps.
I agree that the first 3 itmse listed here are good reasons not to use 10w60. It probably will not hurt the car, but it just might leave some parts without as much lubrication as was intended.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #25
adc
Major General
United_States
1315
Rep
5,683
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
2. The 135i engine has lower oil temps than the BMW M cars;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I agree that the first 3 itmse listed here are good reasons not to use 10w60.
The N54 has significantly higher oil temps than any of the M engines. Ask those who tracked their E46 M3's if they ever saw temps above 250-260 degrees. The N54 has been proven to attain 300 degrees - that's when it goes into limp mode, to protect the engine.


"Our" one lap 135i I think is running 10W60 - perhaps we should ask them to submit their experiences and even the oil for analysis. :iono:
__________________

2018 F80 Santorini
2004 Z4 3.0
2014 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #26
Soccs
Private First Class
Portugal
7
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 125i, Mini GP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to dig this topic!
I have a 125i with evolve tune, super sprint headers, Bmwp exhaust and intake. And all this has been done at a Bmw dealer here where most M cars go around Lisbon area. And I went for oil change and they have recommended to put M oil 10w.60. And no, I didn't pay extra for this. They also changed the sparks.
Well the car now seems it doesn't have the file front evolve. I've retuned it again and it feels the same... Not really sure what happen... But some local mechanics told me that one thing that might be putting my car slower is the degree of difference from the 5w to 10w and they even stated that it could damage the intervals after 20k plus miles.
Not really sure about all this but. I'm going to change back to 5w-30 as factory recommend and let you know what happen
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #27
Iron Man
Major
Iron Man's Avatar
United_States
178
Rep
1,024
Posts

Drives: N/A
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccs View Post
Sorry to dig this topic!
I have a 125i with evolve tune, super sprint headers, Bmwp exhaust and intake. And all this has been done at a Bmw dealer here where most M cars go around Lisbon area. And I went for oil change and they have recommended to put M oil 10w.60. And no, I didn't pay extra for this. They also changed the sparks.
Well the car now seems it doesn't have the file front evolve. I've retuned it again and it feels the same... Not really sure what happen... But some local mechanics told me that one thing that might be putting my car slower is the degree of difference from the 5w to 10w and they even stated that it could damage the intervals after 20k plus miles.
Not really sure about all this but. I'm going to change back to 5w-30 as factory recommend and let you know what happen
10w-60 is way too heavy of an oil for your engine, which can make your engine very sluggish. I would change your oil immediately.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2015, 12:00 AM   #28
Soccs
Private First Class
Portugal
7
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 125i, Mini GP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Thank you very much for the reply! I had the same feeling !
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #29
Soccs
Private First Class
Portugal
7
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 125i, Mini GP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

I did change back to the OEM oil and wow! What a difference !
Just came back from my 1st trackday with the bimmer! And I loved it! The car is way slower compared to my mini GP! But it's so much more fun! I just wish I had slip dif! But the car is so well balanced and so predictable ! Its super fun!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #30
Olgeezer1
First Lieutenant
78
Rep
308
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E82 128i  [0.00]
Ah, oil discussions. Well, I like a true Group 4 synthetic, LL01BMW approved. So for the N/A car I use the German Castrol 0/30 and for the turbo car my choice would be the Belgium made Castrol 0/40. Don't know where BMW's 5/30 is made but if it's in North America I doubt it's a true Group4 synthetic. Decent oil no doubt but American oil producers get to play fast and loose with their advertising which the Germans don't allow.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #31
Iron Man
Major
Iron Man's Avatar
United_States
178
Rep
1,024
Posts

Drives: N/A
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Ah, oil discussions. Well, I like a true Group 4 synthetic, LL01BMW approved. So for the N/A car I use the German Castrol 0/30 and for the turbo car my choice would be the Belgium made Castrol 0/40. Don't know where BMW's 5/30 is made but if it's in North America I doubt it's a true Group4 synthetic. Decent oil no doubt but American oil producers get to play fast and loose with their advertising which the Germans don't allow.
Castrol 0W-40 is actually made in Germany now and the 0W-30 is made in Belgium.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #32
Olgeezer1
First Lieutenant
78
Rep
308
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E82 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Castrol 0W-40 is actually made in Germany now and the 0W-30 is made in Belgium.
Not in Canada. Just bought some the other day. Just the reverse. 0/30 is, as always, made in Germany, 0/40 in Belgium.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #33
Iron Man
Major
Iron Man's Avatar
United_States
178
Rep
1,024
Posts

Drives: N/A
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Not in Canada. Just bought some the other day. Just the reverse. 0/30 is, as always, made in Germany, 0/40 in Belgium.
I believe you might be buying older stock. When they switched to Ti as the AW additive, they moved 0W-40 to Germany. Might want to check the mfg date on your bottles, also if they call out the Ti on the label.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #34
Suprgnat
German cars and French tires.
Suprgnat's Avatar
United_States
943
Rep
1,753
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I believe you might be buying older stock. When they switched to Ti as the AW additive, they moved 0W-40 to Germany. Might want to check the mfg date on your bottles, also if they call out the Ti on the label.
+1 0W-40 bought today:

0W-30 bought about a year ago (and no mention of titanium, either):
__________________
Inertia is the enemy.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #35
chris82
Brigadier General
chris82's Avatar
United_States
533
Rep
3,467
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
10w-60 is way too heavy of an oil for your engine, which can make your engine very sluggish. I would change your oil immediately.
My local indy shop has been building/racing BMW track cars for years and he put the M3 10W-60 in my 128i because I was going to a track event the upcoming weekend. It is super smooth. I don't notice any such sluggishness. He told me to "drive it like I stole it"

I will probably opt for the standard oil next time though, the 10W-60 is much more expensive!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #36
Iron Man
Major
Iron Man's Avatar
United_States
178
Rep
1,024
Posts

Drives: N/A
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
My local indy shop has been building/racing BMW track cars for years and he put the M3 10W-60 in my 128i because I was going to a track event the upcoming weekend. It is super smooth. I don't notice any such sluggishness. He told me to "drive it like I stole it"

I will probably opt for the standard oil next time though, the 10W-60 is much more expensive!
Maybe they overfilled his engine at the same time they switched his oil. Either way, for the N52, a 40W oil is plenty sufficient for DD or even tracking.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #37
chris82
Brigadier General
chris82's Avatar
United_States
533
Rep
3,467
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Maybe they overfilled his engine at the same time they switched his oil. Either way, for the N52, a 40W oil is plenty sufficient for DD or even tracking.
Yes, it must have been something else. I'd agree and the cost is too high for me to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #38
e92ben
Colonel
e92ben's Avatar
323
Rep
2,782
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kenosha Wi

iTrader: (6)

I've used mobile 1 0w-40 for years on various n54 cars Ive owned with 3,500 mile change intervals. I like it better than anything else I've used. 10-60 is to thick
__________________

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #39
Olgeezer1
First Lieutenant
78
Rep
308
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E82 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I believe you might be buying older stock. When they switched to Ti as the AW additive, they moved 0W-40 to Germany. Might want to check the mfg date on your bottles, also if they call out the Ti on the label.
Don't know. You could be right. Don't see a date anywhere. Labelled as Castrol Edge w/SPT, Syntec Power Technology. Well, I won't worry too much about it as it's all that's available here.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST