BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #67
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
I never paid sales tax on my Civic in 06. I bought it from Illinois and they had me sign a tax declaration of some sort. They then gave me the dealer temp tags and I put it right on a boat. All I did was tell him that I don't live in Illinois and that the car won't be registered there. They took care of the rest. The car doesn't need actual state registration. Temp tags are fine.

Edit, wow just came across this. Odd.

In the highlighted area (Section 5 line G) it says: "Sold out of USA" Hope that helps.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold

Last edited by HondaGoneRogue; 01-17-2011 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #68
sho-one
MMA fighter and F1 test driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4///M coupe bulletproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMjunkie View Post
Just got the same bummer e-mail

Dear ET1 Barkowski,

Pentagon Car Sales has just received the news that even though the Military Sales Program applied for March production slots for the all new 1 Series M Coupe, we will not receive any quotas before November of this year.

Should you still be interested in this specific model, I’d be happy to keep you updated on further developments. However, should you require information on our other BMW models please don’t hesitate contacting me and I will provide you with the requested materia

Kind regards,

Katharina.
I got the same email today after a long flight. I am sooo pissed!!! BMW military sales program, way to go by supporting the troops and then slapping them in the face.
NOW:08 M.Coupe SMB #102/248 #1669/1815
:|MORRVS8|APEX8|SS.X-pipe|SS.PW.Loop|AFE.intake|Matte.grill|short.ant|Z HP.knob|interior.LED|bulletproof
09 Audi Q5

THEN:96Accord|98Camry|04TSX SC|06 M3|06A4|05Civic Si|05Imprezza|05S2000|08FJ
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #69
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Seems like nothing is confirmed.

I asked my CA about when I can place a order if production starts in April/May and any word on the option list and this is what he sent back.

XXX,

Maybe in the next 3-4 weeks. Nothing on the option list but should be very soon as demo models are now being slotted for US Dealers.

XXX
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #70
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
You may not pay sales tax at initial purchase, but when you get back to the US most states will hit you for it when you first register the car. Some states call this a "use tax."

If the OP really wants to bring over a 1M that badly, probably the best thing is to purchase through the dealer where he will eventually register the car anyway - he'll pay sales tax up front (if it's a sales tax state), but like I said, they will eventually get their money either way.

The tax he should be exempt from is any sort of import duties or taxes collected by Germany (or wherever he'e stationed).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #71
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
You may not pay sales tax at initial purchase, but when you get back to the US most states will hit you for it when you first register the car. Some states call this a "use tax."

If the OP really wants to bring over a 1M that badly, probably the best thing is to purchase through the dealer where he will eventually register the car anyway - he'll pay sales tax up front (if it's a sales tax state), but like I said, they will eventually get their money either way.

The tax he should be exempt from is any sort of import duties or taxes collected by Germany (or wherever he'e stationed).
Why pay it up front on the full price of the vehicle? If you have to pay it at all, it's better to pay it on the depreciated value when you actually bring it back.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #72
sho-one
MMA fighter and F1 test driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4///M coupe bulletproof

I guess I'm waiting till November for military sales...unless something else catches my eye. My deposit is still down...but military sales gt 5.0 for 26$k is intriguing...or a e92. Anyway 8 months to save and consider options.
NOW:08 M.Coupe SMB #102/248 #1669/1815
:|MORRVS8|APEX8|SS.X-pipe|SS.PW.Loop|AFE.intake|Matte.grill|short.ant|Z HP.knob|interior.LED|bulletproof
09 Audi Q5

THEN:96Accord|98Camry|04TSX SC|06 M3|06A4|05Civic Si|05Imprezza|05S2000|08FJ
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #73
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:

I have never paid sales tax on my 1er. I have registered the car twice in nevada. I only paid the 30 dollars for my plates. I never paid tax on my civic, and neither did the guy I sold it to. So I wouldn't sell yourself short and pay the tax up front. Just my .02.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #74
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho-one View Post
I guess I'm waiting till November for military sales...unless something else catches my eye. My deposit is still down...but military sales gt 5.0 for 26$k is intriguing...or a e92. Anyway 8 months to save and consider options.
Well, if my guy comes through then I am perfectly happy waiting till May/June. Heck I've been waiting for almost two years to get a car. If it gets much later might start looking at a M3, or just same a ton of money and get a 135i. It is pretty important to me to get that car while I am over here. Going back to the states and driving the car will be so unfulfilling.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:05 AM   #75
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
I have never paid sales tax on my 1er. I have registered the car twice in nevada. I only paid the 30 dollars for my plates. I never paid tax on my civic, and neither did the guy I sold it to. So I wouldn't sell yourself short and pay the tax up front. Just my .02.
It depends on the state you're going to register it in - Nevada must be one of the lucky places that doesn't charge sales tax on such vehicles. I believe that is more the exception rather than the rule. My point was that, depending on where the OP plans to register the vehicle upon PCSing back to the US, he may be stuck with sales tax eventually anyway.

In any case, it pays to do your research. Each state handles this in its own way, so there really isn't a "one-size-fits-all" scenario.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #76
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Why pay it up front on the full price of the vehicle? If you have to pay it at all, it's better to pay it on the depreciated value when you actually bring it back.
Again, this must depend upon the state. When I PCS to Texas this summer and register my car there (it also happens to be my home of record and where I'm licensed to drive) they are going to charge me a "use tax" based on the purchase price of the vehicle (6.25%, to be exact). Depreciation is not considered. The only thing that can offset this use tax, as far as I know, is previously paid taxes to another state - which I have never paid, so I'm boned.

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 01-19-2011 at 03:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:31 AM   #77
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Again, this must depend upon the state. When I PCS to Texas this summer and register my car there (it also happens to be my home of record and where I'm licensed to drive) they are going to charge me a "use tax" based on the purchase price of the vehicle (6.25%, to be exact). Depreciation is not considered. The only thing that can offset this use tax, as far as I know, is previously paid taxes to another state - which I have never paid, so I'm boned.
This sounds awfully familiar. Texas resident and licensed by Texas, and moving to Ohio which also charges taxes if you register a vehicle and have never paid sales tax. So I, too, am boned.

On a good note, it looks like I won't have to worry about paying taxes on a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #78
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Spoke with the guys at Pentagon yesterday, and they confirmed the bad news. As of now, they're not expecting any allocations until November. That's still in flux, and could shift either way, meaning they may not get any allocations at all, or they may get some earlier. Who knows. But in any case, this is not good news.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:55 AM   #79
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
I still don't have anything confirmed (naturally no one wants to wind up being wrong ) but I've asked a few different folks and the general consensus seems to be that Military Sales allocations are coming... just not until November. If this holds true, I have no problems waiting. But if we wait and then DON'T get any allocations... then I'll be writing a number of nasty emails (I know I know, BIG threat there, lol)

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #80
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep

What program is everyone going through to get their answers? It would seem to me that I should be getting the same answer about the November time frame? However, I got a email over the weekend that the first production is slated for US dealers/demo models, and that he should know more in about 3-4 weeks. He said it looked like they were getting the 1M, and that I should be looking at a production in april/may. Now, again, nothing confirmed, and my guy might just be totally wrong but what he is telling me sounds nothing like what I am hearing on these boards. I've had 3k down through BMW first choice MSP since I returned in October.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #81
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
"Answers" is the (in)operative word here, lol. The list of folks I've been annoying/talking to keeps growing longer and no one really knows anything for sure yet. All I can say for sure is that an email has been sent from Munich stating that at this time, Military Sales will not get Production Allocations until November

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #82
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
"Answers" is the (in)operative word here, lol. The list of folks I've been annoying/talking to keeps growing longer and no one really knows anything for sure yet. All I can say for sure is that an email has been sent from Munich stating that at this time, Military Sales will not get Production Allocations until November
I guess that is my point...who was sent this email, who was the email for? I was sent an email and told April/May. Could my CA be wrong, absolutely...at the same time so could this November thing. I believe I remember a couple months ago that people were posting that the 1M would not be offered through Military sales.

Oh well, guess time will tell. Hoping for the best
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #83
RPMjunkie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Got 1)

My e-mail came from Pentagon Car sales as well, I did not have a deposit or anything with them. I had just been doing my e-mail correspondence. I have yet to hear anything from Superior Motorsports in Bahrain with whom I have a 3k deposit. I will call them tomorrow and see what, if any, news I can get.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #84
fuzzy_dunlop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: future 1 series

Its going to suck to have to throw on winter tires right away. But not that bad of a problem to have. Lots of things to think about as we wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #85
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Pentagon car sales aren't the only ones doing MSP. Try Bavarian motor cars and see what answer they give you. And no, they don't all work the same as it might be told---I found this out personally when I bought my 135i. There's another co as well but can't think of their name at the moment.

Also, I pcs'd into California and their rule on "use tax" is based on purchase price of vehicle - no depreciation. BUT- if you've owned the vehicle for 1 yr prior to registration, then the tax is waived.

Each state is different so come pcs time, keep some $ to the side JIK or if you already know you'll be paying tax anyways, then sell the car before you pcs and order a NEW one since you'll be paying the same amount of tax.

Cars international is the other company that does MSP.

Last edited by BBBluey; 01-22-2011 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #86
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Ny info is from Bavarian Motor Cars. I think the company you are thinking about is NATEX - the NATO PX services - bc all military tax free car slaes get routed thru them.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #87
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Ny info is from Bavarian Motor Cars. I think the company you are thinking about is NATEX - the NATO PX services - bc all military tax free car slaes get routed thru them.

Dackel
The paperwork goes through them- natex I mean. but I updated my post with the other co.

You planning on the M? If I was still in Germany with the chance...yes I would.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #88
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Just a Bump since we haven't heard anything in a while

172 of 740
Appreciate 0