BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Exclamation Help Front Koni Strunt and End Link problem brackets don't fit etc.

Update: I got this figured out with the help of @gjm120 by aligning the wing tabs over the gap in the knuckle the End Link and brackets line up good. The mistake I made was trying to align the wing tabs with the little - notch mark on the knuckle instead of over the gap in the middle of the knuckle. Also I sent Koni an Email and they were quick to reply and help as well, I wanted to give them credit for having good tech support. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future...

Original:
I am installing new Koni struts in the front but I can't for the life of me get the end link to match up with the tab on the driver side strut, I can sort of force it in but then none of the brake sensor brackets will fit. I think the problem is that the tab on the new Koni strut is forward facing and my stock strut the tab is rear facing. I seriously can't figure this out, I have spent hours looking at pictures of Koni struts and trying to figure out how to make this work. Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by FLATBMW; 10-26-2018 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Fixed
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
I am installing new Koni struts in the front but I can't for the life of me get the end link to match up with the tab on the driver side strut, I can sort of force it in but then none of the brake sensor brackets will fit. I think the problem is that the tab on the new Koni strut is forward facing and my stock strut the tab is rear facing. I seriously can't figure this out, I have spent hours looking at pictures of Koni struts and trying to figure out how to make this work. Any ideas or suggestions?

I think I remember routing the brake and wheel speed sensor different from original path. No problems other than that - bracket went on fine.
      10-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
FLATBMW
Private
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I think I remember routing the brake and wheel speed sensor different from original path. No problems other than that - bracket went on fine.
Thanks for the info. Well at least I am not the only one with this issue... Anyone make an adapter or something to make this easier? Ok so you attached the end link and then rerouted the sensor bracket? I was thinking about attaching the end link and mounting or zip tying the sensor bracket to something nearby in the fender.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

I was able to attached the bracket on the tab as original. The difference was the routing of the wires. If I can get a look w/out removing the wheel I'll do so and revert.
      10-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Are you sure you've got the struts on the correct sides? Don't be insulted, I've made easier mistakes.
      10-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
FLATBMW
Private
Rep

Question

In the picture below the End Link Tab is facing towards the rear of the car, the correct way I believe. Mine is in the opposite direction facing towards the engine and my brake sensor bracket etc. won't reach. I can get the end link in the hole but it feels awkward.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

I took a look at mine and it the tab for the endlink is facing the back as in the pic. It's a little hard to tell b/c have to turn the wheel to get a view.

The wing like tabs that keep the strut slipping into the knuckle go right at the slot in the knuckle and drop down just a little. At the bottom is a little bit that goes into the slot to line it up. This pic shows what I'm referring to:

https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/701272_x800.webp

I had no problem getting the endlink attached. Like I mentioned earlier I think I routed the sensor wires around the strut body different than they were. That might not even be true as I didn't look hard enough at the routing beforehand.

Another thought is double check the part numbers on the struts. Could it be you have the wrong struts?
      10-25-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Just did the Koni STR-T and had no issues whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
FLATBMW
Private
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
The wing like tabs that keep the strut slipping into the knuckle go right at the slot in the knuckle and drop down just a little. At the bottom is a little bit that goes into the slot to line it up. This pic shows what I'm referring to:

https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/701272_x800.webp
I think I just figured out what I am doing wrong, so that wing thing on the Koni strut isn't supposed to line up with the arrow mark on the knuckle like the stock strut it's supposed to line up over the little slot / gap in the knuckle and sit there hmmm that makes sense and I bet the tab will be in the right position then to connect the end link and sensor brackets. I am going to check tomorrow morning and see if that's what my problem was. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think I just figured out what I am doing wrong, so that wing thing on the Koni strut isn't supposed to line up with the arrow mark on the knuckle like the stock strut it's supposed to line up over the little slot / gap in the knuckle and sit there hmmm that makes sense and I bet the tab will be in the right position then to connect the end link and sensor brackets. I am going to check tomorrow morning and see if that's what my problem was. Thanks for your help.
Hope that's it.
Let us know how it works out.
      10-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
FLATBMW
Private
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hope that's it.
Let us know how it works out.
I checked and they line up now with the wing positioned over the knuckle gap. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #12
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I checked and they line up now with the wing positioned over the knuckle gap. Thanks again!
Good news!