BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
Preciado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

On the Edge: The absolute MAX wheel & tire size combos without compromises?

While the APEX and VMR copy pasta is fine and dandy and cheers to those companies for making a variety of options for our cars... I don't want either.

TL;DR
what exactly can be achieved in terms of wheel width and 'lowest' offset before running into issues of rubbing? As far as tires go, I always like a bit of stretch, nothing wild. So running 245's or the widest tire possible isn't what I'm asking or care for too much. But of course I'm not looking to run rubber bands either. I think a lot of the wheel talk I see in other threads is either about going as wide as possible on the side of rubber or achieving ridiculous 'stance' stretch etc. More than happy to run camber plates.

-------

Since the moment I had a driver's permit I always had a Japanese car or BMW or both at the same time and I'm sorry not sorry but Japanese wheel companies just have so much more variety, both for looks and for function.

The draw back is the limited options of 5x120 wheels and furthermore our E82's being unable to run most of the 'aggressive' sizes Japanese wheels tend to come in.

For example, some Gramlights I really want really only have +38 as the highest offset.

What are some setups you've tried that didn't compromise your fenders?

Last edited by Preciado; 11-15-2018 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I agree on the Japanese wheel thing. My Volks, etc are listed in my sig. They were part of a custom E46 order 15 yrs ago. The stats are listed in my profile. In order to get them to fit better I modified my rear brake hubs. That will gain you around 7mm. Good luck.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
Preciado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I agree on the Japanese wheel thing. My Volks, etc are listed in my sig. They were part of a custom E46 order 15 yrs ago. The stats are listed in my profile. In order to get them to fit better I modified my rear brake hubs. That will gain you around 7mm. Good luck.
Damn that looks GREAT!

Thanks for the tip! I went ahead and checked out the thread for the hub mod as well. I had only head of E90 rear brake mods for people try to run smaller wheels for drag racing (to use a big tire) but not this offset gifting mod.

I will definitely look into do the hub mod.

And for those interested:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975919
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #4
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
The factory adjustment allowed for around 3deg of rear camber in my case with my suspension lowered around an inch. I could run my wheels fine with a tire that stretches well/runs small. I'm right at 2deg camber front and rear now. Front pins are pulled.

I you just don't go with such wide wheels you can run offsets in the high to mid 30s front and rear if you work at it.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0