BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #23
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Guys, I thought this had been cleared up already? With the Premium pack, you get the outside lights..the puddle lights. None of the US 1s have the interior lighting like the 3 series gets. Several people posted in the other thread who have the 135 with the Premium pakage to confirm this.

Have I missed something?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #24
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
OK these pics are really crappy cuz I don't know how to take night pics into lights, but you will get the idea.
First pic is looking directly up into the front overhead console. The 2 red pin lights are the ambient light (I believe)
The second pic is the same except it's the rear overhead console.
I can find no other "ambient" lights in the car.
I'm defining "ambient" lights as lights that stay on while you are driving after the interior "entry" lights have gone off.
AND......these lights are very very tiny. You can see the light on your hand when it's on the shifter but otherwise you hardly notice them.
Attached Images

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #25
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

thanks, I think that settles it

they will go well with my red leather
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #26
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

OK thanks. So 2 small over-console lights and puddle lights. They will look great with bloody Coral. SWEET.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #27
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

still think its a rip we don't get interior door lights
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #28
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Guys, I thought this had been cleared up already? With the Premium pack, you get the outside lights..the puddle lights. None of the US 1s have the interior lighting like the 3 series gets. Several people posted in the other thread who have the 135 with the Premium pakage to confirm this.

Have I missed something?
No, you haven't missed anything. I know that people in the states with ZPP do not have ambient lighting. I was just showing how my order still shows ambient lighting with an "Alternate package content" blurb and I was wondering what it meant. As far as I know even the Euro 1er's with ZPP don't have ambient lighting (as defined by the bmwusa website). Maybe someone from Germany or the UK with ZPP can chime in.
      04-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #29
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
still think its a rip we don't get interior door lights
NO $HIT. Those door lights on the 3 look awesome. CRAP.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #30
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Driver View Post
No, you haven't missed anything. I know that people in the states with ZPP do not have ambient lighting. I was just showing how my order still shows ambient lighting with an "Alternate package content" blurb and I was wondering what it meant. As far as I know even the Euro 1er's with ZPP don't have ambient lighting (as defined by the bmwusa website). Maybe someone from Germany or the UK with ZPP can chime in.
OK we don't have the door lights..........What are my pictures showing???????
If those are not "ambient" lights, what are they?????
And I'm having trouble finding the BMW web definition of the ambient lighting. Could you enlighten us please.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #31
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
OK these pics are really crappy cuz I don't know how to take night pics into lights, but you will get the idea.
First pic is looking directly up into the front overhead console. The 2 red pin lights are the ambient light (I believe)
The second pic is the same except it's the rear overhead console.
I can find no other "ambient" lights in the car.
I'm defining "ambient" lights as lights that stay on while you are driving after the interior "entry" lights have gone off.
AND......these lights are very very tiny. You can see the light on your hand when it's on the shifter but otherwise you hardly notice them.
TP, pictures aren't bad at all considering. I wasn't sure if we had a rear overhead console or not. It seems some of the foreign 1er's don't; nice to know. Since ambient lighting doesn't show up under the ZPP anymore I don't think it's a big deal. Except that it's still listed on mine. :iono:

While I've been waiting nowhere near as long as most of you who have your 1er's already, (I only became aware of the car in February), it's still shortening my life. I think it has something to do with the ‘Instant Gratification Syndrome’ that affects most Americans (or maybe just me). And any little discrepancy winds me up and torments me to no end. My CA is earning whatever she’s getting paid through military sales.
      04-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #32
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
OK we don't have the door lights..........What are my pictures showing???????
If those are not "ambient" lights, what are they?????
And I'm having trouble finding the BMW web definition of the ambient lighting. Could you enlighten us please.
I don't know what BMW calls the lights you took a picture of but they seem pretty neat nonetheless. BMW lists all of their Innovations in one place but of course they can't apply to the entire model line. Too bad they couldn't show you only what applies to the car you're looking at.

Anyway, it's a pain in the butt to find but here it is. And no, just in case anyone is wondering, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse or cause mental pain and suffering. It's just a side benefit.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Uniquely/Innovations/Index.aspx
Attached Images

04-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #33
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
OK....thanks.
So, it seams that since we have the "lowly", entry level model we get the entry level ambient lighting. Overhead but no door lights and no foot well lights.
I can live with this. After all I didn't buy a 3 series. :wink:

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #34
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
OK....thanks.
So, it seams that since we have the "lowly", entry level model we get the entry level ambient lighting. Overhead but no door lights and no foot well lights.
I can live with this. After all I didn't buy a 3 series. :wink:
That sounds about right. I'll live with it as well. But I paid $3300 for the ZPP just for the ambient lighting. Seriously.

OK, half seriously. :wink:
      04-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #35
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sounds about right. I'll live with it as well. But I paid $3300 for the ZPP just for the ambient lighting. Seriously.

OK, half seriously. :wink:

Look at the bright side (or not so bright in this case)! You won't have all those pointless LEDs adding weight to the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #36
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Hard to believe the footwells don't have lights standard.

BMW nickle and dimes WAY TOO MUCH.

In a premium car this SHOULD be standard. STUPID of them IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #37
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Look at the bright side (or not so bright in this case)! You won't have all those pointless LEDs adding weight to the car!
Very true. Top speed should be .0237 MPH faster. :biggrin:
      04-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #38
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
Hard to believe the footwells don't have lights standard.

BMW nickle and dimes WAY TOO MUCH.

In a premium car this SHOULD be standard. STUPID of them IMO.

I agree with you one that. It's nice to have lights in the footwells if you drop something at night (like a black cell phone). I'm sure it won't be a big deal for us to add them though. A couple of jumbo LEDs down there should do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #39
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I agree with you one that. It's nice to have lights in the footwells if you drop something at night (like a black cell phone). I'm sure it won't be a big deal for us to add them though. A couple of jumbo LEDs down there should do the trick.
I can't wait for you guys that know how to do those kinds of things post the DIY. I'm not going to play with the engine, exhaust or suspension. But I can probably run a couple of LED's around without shocking myself too badly.
      04-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #40
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't wait for you guys that know how to do those kinds of things post the DIY. I'm not going to play with the engine, exhaust or suspension. But I can probably run a couple of LED's around without shocking myself too badly.

I won't get my car until June, but I'll look into it when it gets here. The LEDs are no problem at all, it's just a matter of finding a good spot to mount them and then tapping into the right wire.

You don't have to worry about getting shocked with a 12v system at all. There's not enough voltage to overcome the bodies resistance, uless you're messing with the plug wires, so I'd say you're safe.

:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #41
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I won't get my car until June, but I'll look into it when it gets here. The LEDs are no problem at all, it's just a matter of finding a good spot to mount them and then tapping into the right wire.

You don't have to worry about getting shocked with a 12v system at all. There's not enough voltage to overcome the bodies resistance, uless you're messing with the plug wires, so I'd say you're safe.

:biggrin:
My job requires that I know something about electricity. So I do; barely. My life experience tells me something about electricity. IT HURTS!!

Body resistance or not, I'll let some other mastermind be the guinea pig. I do like the idea of the LED's though.

When's your build date? I'm expecting in June as well. Probably late June.