09-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
Calasan
Rep
Drives: 335i F30; m2 Comp F87N

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Totaled 1M at Auction

Found this while browsing car auction sites. I'm not a 1M owner but this felt like more of a travesty compared to other models. Hopefully it makes a good parts source or a major resto project for someone brave.

https://www.copart.com/lot/45820499
Appreciate 2
1&done246.50
ayao627.50
      09-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

😩

Sad to see

There is a guy on this forum who restores these salvaged 1M's.....can't remember his name 🤔
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Glassoman55
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...7#post12203677
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1203.00
      09-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Yes! This is the guy 🙏
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

archive for after the link dies.

WBSUR9C54BVP76102
VP76102
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Tornado1M1203.00
JP-1M171.00
1&done246.50
ayao627.50
      09-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
touringteg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

It would be nice to know how many USA cars have been crashed. Seems like most are getting back on the road though!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringteg View Post
It would be nice to know how many USA cars have been crashed. Seems like most are getting back on the road though!
I thought someone was updating the 1M registry when they saw stuff like this.

This VIN is not far off mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
Stoney80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BSM 1M

Is there any way to find out what this car sold for? Just curious what something like this would bring
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
Glassoman55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011vo 1m / 2019aw M2c

Car sold for $24,000 to someone in Idaho....
I know because I was bidding against him.....
Car has high miles though....just over 52 k....
It was a one owner car....
I assume the original owner probably is on this site....
You'll probably be seeing the car for sale in the coming weeks
on some website....unless the buyer is keeping it for himself...
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1203.00
      10-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassoman55 View Post
Perfect S65 swap candidate!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Wow - that seems really high. From a newbie perspective, the car seems to have a lot of damage? Why would someone pay so much?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
Glassoman55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If you look closely at the pictures you'll see that the damage is actually not that bad....
I know seeing a car with the front end all taken apart makes it look worse than what it is....
the front fenders look pretty straight and more importantly all the coolers look to be in pretty good condition....because of this you can assume that the front frame rails are in good shape.....if the car took a hard hit to the nose more than likely the auxiliary coolers would've been toast...it looks as though the car took a light hit, basically parts changing...

I was bidding against the person who bought it....the only reason why I stopped at 24k was because I felt the car had high mileage....I would roughly estimate that the cost of parts and repair will be anywhere from 5 to 7k....add another 1k to ship the car and the buyer will potentially be into the car for about 32k....maybe even less if he already has some parts....

Would someone pay 35K for this car all ready to go ?probably...
being black sapphire adds a little more value in my opinion...
I prefer the white and black over the VO...

looking back now I feel that I should've went to 25K...maybe I could've won it...

Im not sure what the laws are in Idaho for rebuilding salvage cars and how quick the buyer can get a rebuilt title but I'd bet this car will be up for sale very soon....

when these cars first came out they were being totaled on a weekly basis....literally....
I fixed a lot of them and unfortunately for me I sold them all....
wish I would've kept at least 1....
Im sure sooner or later another one will pop up....
ill be waiting...
Appreciate 6
///BYU268.50
CarJunkie2615.50
Rikx1M559.00
ayao627.50
      10-09-2019, 05:49 AM   #13
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Not commenting on what it would cost to fix this car, nor what it was worth to buy in this condition.

Having a salvage title will seriously depress resale value and hugely reduce the number of people who would even consider buying it. I for one would not buy a salvage or rebuilt titled car, and I wouldn't believe the stories the seller would offer about why the car ended up salvaged.

As to title washing, I think that would be way easier to pull off in a lot of other states, than it would be in Idaho. Farting in Idaho might get you an overnight stay in the county jail, in the right set of circumstances :-)
      10-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
Glassoman55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Your 100% correct....
salvage cars aren't for everyone....
but what you need to know about the car business is that " there is an ass for every seat".....

All you need is 1 person to want a car and you have a sale...
the person who bought it might want to track it....
I wouldn't want to spend 60k on a car that I'm going to track if I could spend 35k instead......

Also, depending on if the car goes out of the country, other areas don't have salvage titles.....the car will have a regular ownership document just like everyone elses.....

Also , have you ever wondered how many 1m"s got into worse accidents than this one and didn't get totaled ? They're still driving around with clean titles ?

Every insurance company has there specific criteria on what constitutes a total loss....
Technically an insurance company can total a car for a minor fender bender....
I speak from experience...Ive seen it happen....

You need to do your homework no matter what kind of titled car you buy , but they're are deals to be found with salvage cars....
Appreciate 3
Tornado1M1203.00
///BYU268.50
ayao627.50
      10-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #15
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Here is the car. Someone
With a YouTube Channel bought it

https://youtu.be/rPPjlVRm3V4
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1203.00
ayao627.50
      10-21-2019, 09:01 PM   #16
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Quote:
If you look closely at the pictures you'll see that the damage is actually not that bad....
I know seeing a car with the front end all taken apart makes it look worse than what it is....
the front fenders look pretty straight and more importantly all the coolers look to be in pretty good condition....because of this you can assume that the front frame rails are in good shape.....if the car took a hard hit to the nose more than likely the auxiliary coolers would've been toast...it looks as though the car took a light hit, basically parts changing...

I was bidding against the person who bought it....the only reason why I stopped at 24k was because I felt the car had high mileage....I would roughly estimate that the cost of parts and repair will be anywhere from 5 to 7k....add another 1k to ship the car and the buyer will potentially be into the car for about 32k....maybe even less if he already has some parts....

looking back now I feel that I should've went to 25K...maybe I could've won it...

Im not sure what the laws are in Idaho for rebuilding salvage cars and how quick the buyer can get a rebuilt title but I'd bet this car will be up for sale very soon....

when these cars first came out they were being totaled on a weekly basis....literally....
ill be waiting...
We did appreciate all you did to bring the cars you did recover, back to their former glory!
      10-22-2019, 04:40 AM   #17
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Wow that's an easy fix that one. I've had my car look like that when getting the turbo's R/R and a custom intercooler installed :d
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #18
Glassoman55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just watched the youtube video !

I was slightly amused to say the least !!

The guy actually recorded the auction with me bidding against him !

Very cool....
Im actually glad I stopped at 24K now and let him win the car....
It looks like he would've keep bidding to win it no matter what....

Im also very happy to see he's going fix the car and put it back on the road....

Ive bought a lot of cars from auctions over the years and I get the same way he did in his video every time the car shows up....
I feel like a kid on Christmas morning ....
it never gets old....
I also love his enthusiasm!!

The car turned out to be exactly what it appeared to be....
easy fix....

Ill be watching youtube for his next video....
Appreciate 4
ayao627.50
Tornado1M1203.00
10"4946.00
      10-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #19
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I watched the video too; very interesting and I wish this fellow luck.

On the other hand, someone obviously was planning to restore the car, and then they bailed for some reason, and were willing to leave a lot of new restoration parts in the car. Why would someone do that?

One idea would be that there is a hidden problem not yet unearthed by the video-maker; perhaps the engine is blown? At this point he looks to be an enthusiastic and lucky person. Assuming that he posts the sequel(s) to this first video, there may prove to be more to the story.
      10-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #20
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

ill be waiting...
As an original owner.... I recall seeing you had picked up a few for repair..
Nice to see that you are still around... I do hope that you manage to pick up one for yourself!
Appreciate 1
champignon1562.00
      10-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Your 100% correct....
salvage cars aren't for everyone....
but what you need to know about the car business is that " there is an ass for every seat".....

All you need is 1 person to want a car and you have a sale...
the person who bought it might want to track it....
I wouldn't want to spend 60k on a car that I'm going to track if I could spend 35k instead......

Also, depending on if the car goes out of the country, other areas don't have salvage titles.....the car will have a regular ownership document just like everyone elses.....

Also , have you ever wondered how many 1m"s got into worse accidents than this one and didn't get totaled ? They're still driving around with clean titles ?

Every insurance company has there specific criteria on what constitutes a total loss....
Technically an insurance company can total a car for a minor fender bender....
I speak from experience...Ive seen it happen....

You need to do your homework no matter what kind of titled car you buy , but they're are deals to be found with salvage cars....

Insurance companies total cars for one of the following reasons..

1) structrural integrity compromised - ie diamond in frame
2) economic total loss - cost of repairs exceeds a threshold set by the insurer (typically 70-75%) or by local statute. Rental expenses and Diminished value potential for claimants also may factor in here.
3) occasionally vehicles are totaled due to whiny customers. ( no way I'm taking that back!) Etc. Although seriously .. most of the time if it is repairable .. it's repairable. ! I'm sure no one here can imagine someone demanding their lightly damaged 1M be totaled.. because they don't want a car that's been repaired. Enter @glassoman55 and others to swoop in later ... !

A vehicle can be determined to be an economic total loss by the insurer threshold... or... the insurer may have to total vehicles based on local statute.

For example.. a vehicle in ILLINOIS with 33.3% damage from flooding is a TL per local statute.

Another example.... A vehicle that is submerged in flood waters due to an event in LA that is covered by a Gubernatorial declaration must be declared a total loss and the customer CANNOT owner retain the vehicle as it must be branded CERTIFICATE OF DESTRUCTION in Louisiana.

So.. in many cases the reason that the vehicle is deemed a total loss may be due to local statute or requirements , not because the insurer does not want to repair the vehicle.

It is important to know that each state sets it's own guidelines for total loss threshold , as well as titling and branding requirements for various types of vehicles (cars, SUV, trailers, golf carts, ATV, motorcycles, trailer, RV) etc.

Whether or not the vehicle can be owner retained by the customer is greatly subject to local statutes which dictate disposal of different types of vehicles (due to the type of damage sustained) and how the vehicle titles should be branded (or not) when the vehicle is sold.

Some states are very restrictive and require branding of all total loss vehicles. Other states do not require branding for certain types of losses (theft, or hail damage for example) and some states do not require branding at all!

In some instances an insurer may be required to brand a vehicle a total loss , however if the owner chooses to keep the vehicle , the owner does NOT have to get the vehicle branded ( and presumably can sell the vehicle with a clear title ).

Being aware of where a vehicle was titled and what local statutes are is certainly of benefit when searching for salvage deals.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 10-29-2019 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 6
Tornado1M1203.00
GimmeanM1448.50
champignon1562.00
1M Tex240.00
///BYU268.50
Ky1M24.00
      11-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #22
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Just watched the youtube video !

I was slightly amused to say the least !!

The guy actually recorded the auction with me bidding against him !

Very cool....
Im actually glad I stopped at 24K now and let him win the car....
It looks like he would've keep bidding to win it no matter what....

Im also very happy to see he's going fix the car and put it back on the road....

Ive bought a lot of cars from auctions over the years and I get the same way he did in his video every time the car shows up....
I feel like a kid on Christmas morning ....
it never gets old....
I also love his enthusiasm!!

The car turned out to be exactly what it appeared to be....
easy fix....

Ill be watching youtube for his next video....
Nice to see you still here!! Do you still have your 1Ms?