BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
PKT RKT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Question 135’s - Are these cars fun on public roads??

Or are they too fast?

I drive twisty mountain roads to work and back, about 60 miles round trip.

The speed limit hovered between 45 and 55mph.

Is this car going to be too much? Can you have fun in it at those speeds?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:33 AM   #2
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Immensely fun.

They've got heaps of power and want to go fast, but the short wheel base and stock suspension actually make them a bit of a handful at high speeds.

You really need to tighten them up with suspension modifications if you're going to be doing 100mph regularly.
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50
      04-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #3
FXTrader421
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i N55

The car will be too much fun get a school bus. Just kidding mate I think the 135 would be fun for your work commute but it really gets fun when you have some space to open her up.
Get a Miata if you're really looking to eat those corners at decent speeds. A 135 for every other reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulMass View Post
I drive twisty mountain roads to work and back, about 60 miles round trip.

as a flatlander fuck u for asking

As an enthusiast it isn't the speed of this car making it fun. It's how much a curved winding road fells like a Sunday drive when it shouldn't, problem is you gget tires that out stick the suspension. upgrade the suspension to need new wheels and tires like a war with the Can I's voice in your head until you're broke... a friend told me.

Appreciate 3
      04-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i ZTR

Honestly, I prefer the 128i over the 135i for public roads. You can push a 128i harder and still be within the speed limit. You have to plan ahead, think about your shifts, keep the car in the power band. It’s much more rewarding in my experience to drive a “slow” car fast. I had multiple 335’s. The power of the 35i motors is addicting, don’t get me wrong, but being able to floor it in fifth and still have enough power to pass feels like a “cheat code” from your favorite game.

I spent over a year searching for a 128i 6MT (and shipped it cross country) for exactly this reason. Passed up dozens of nice, cheap (and local!) 135i’s.

I’m sure you won’t regret it either way, but figured I’d add my $0.02.

The above assumes you’d be buying a manual transmission car by the way.
Appreciate 6
minirips2206.50
Lucky1647.00
nachob2314.00
TM9030121.50
Ric in RVA1467.00
      04-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
I spent over a year searching for a 128i 6MT (and shipped it cross country) for exactly this reason. Passed up dozens of nice, cheap (and local!) 135i’s.

Just to make you feel bad, I was looking for a 350Z 6M when I saw the ad on Craigslist for my 128i 6M about 7 miles from me. Figured I could use the rear seat every so often, and remembered a roundel article from when it came out 8 years earlier. the rest is history.
      04-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #7
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
Honestly, I prefer the 128i over the 135i for public roads. You can push a 128i harder and still be within the speed limit. You have to plan ahead, think about your shifts, keep the car in the power band. It’s much more rewarding in my experience to drive a “slow” car fast. I had multiple 335’s. The power of the 35i motors is addicting, don’t get me wrong, but being able to floor it in fifth and still have enough power to pass feels like a “cheat code” from your favorite game.

I’m sure you won’t regret it either way, but figured I’d add my $0.02.

The above assumes you’d be buying a manual transmission car by the way.
I hear what you're saying. I had a regular 987 Cayman before this, and it was fun to be able to ring out the engine. That being said, the 135i isn't exactly a 911 Turbo, so it's fast without being crazy. Granted, I always downshift and rarely cheat. Heck, I often don't take the car past third gear.

I've been mentioning over on the MHD thread that they should make a map with little to no turbo-boost, so those of us with a 135i can kind of do a "128i mode" when we feel like it.
Appreciate 1
Gangplank1539.50
      04-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #8
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Never understand how some people can say a cars 'too fast'. The throttle can be modulated to give as little or as much power as one calls for at certain times. Traffic soft throttle, open roads open throttles, it's that simple.
Many early reviews of 135i including Randy Probsts specifically mentioned the cars fantastic midrange power make it perfect for the street. A few mods makes it very good for the track also.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
Esteban43369.00
Soterios575.00
      04-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #9
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post

I've been mentioning over on the MHD thread that they should make a map with little to no turbo-boost, so those of us with a 135i can kind of do a "128i mode" when we feel like it.
that's dead easy to do with a JB4 if you can find a cheap second hand one.

I drove my car for almost 12 months with no boost due to a wastegate issue - I can confirm, it's every bit as fun, and a lot more forgiving around corners.

I missed the ability to tighten up mid-corner with throttle-induced-oversteer - but was probably a bit faster overall because I could confidently get the power down from the apex out.

Also, it was much more important to be in the right gear on entry to the corner...

... I really recommend it if you get the chance.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 02:55 AM   #10
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

I was pure VW 16V, 1.8T and VR6 before N54. While I love this car and the power, there is truth for me in “its more fun to drive a slow car fast a than a fast car slow”

The area I live is now constant congested roads. Without putting others in danger, it’s hard to enjoy a spirited drive in the 135i. Every turn was a blast in the 337 edition GTI I drove for 10 years.

Most of my fun is had with the METROPCA events in my area.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
PKT RKT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted1 View Post
I was pure VW 16V, 1.8T and VR6 before N54. While I love this car and the power, there is truth for me in “its more fun to drive a slow car fast a than a fast car slow”

The area I live is now constant congested roads. Without putting others in danger, it’s hard to enjoy a spirited drive in the 135i. Every turn was a blast in the 337 edition GTI I drove for 10 years.

Most of my fun is had with the METROPCA events in my area.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking about... I had a C55 AMG once, and it was stupid fast, but hard to stay below the speed limit (any speed limit!!).

Trying to decide. I love BMW’s. Not sure if I should get one with 300hp, or something else... like an E30, or a Miata, or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #12
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Never understand how some people can say a cars 'too fast'. The throttle can be modulated to give as little or as much power as one calls for at certain times. Traffic soft throttle, open roads open throttles, it's that simple.
Many early reviews of 135i including Randy Probsts specifically mentioned the cars fantastic midrange power make it perfect for the street. A few mods makes it very good for the track also.
This. The car is a blast on the back roads. Can you get into more trouble with the power? Sure. But why would you neuter yourself instead of just...you know...being a better driver?

Last edited by Soterios; 04-15-2019 at 05:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
low1352210.50
      04-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

It’s not about nutering. Part of the fun of driving a car is driving it at IT’S limits, not yours. That includes hearing and feeling the engine wind out. It’s why driving an electric car is kid of boring, no matter how fast or flat the torque curve.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #14
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You asked if the car will be "too much." Yes it will be too much for you. Get a Miata or GTI. Much more fun on public roads especially for you.
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      04-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #15
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Can’t go wrong with any 1er imo. But if you’re worried about it being too much car, look for a 128i. Granted ones in the right spec are harder to find.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Do a +1 upgrade on the wheels, put on a set of Michelin PS4s and a 135i will eat back roads have you sh*ting grins everywhere you go.
      04-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #17
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It’s not about nutering. Part of the fun of driving a car is driving it at IT’S limits, not yours. That includes hearing and feeling the engine wind out. It’s why driving an electric car is kid of boring, no matter how fast or flat the torque curve.
I appreciate that, but I can say the 135i is very fast in a straight line, but with stock suspension it's a bucket-o-shit in the corners.

My speeds on public roads are very rarely limited by the engine of the car, even in a 1.2 liter naturally aspirated entry-level hatch. The power severely limits your corner-exit speeds, but my corner-entry speeds and straight-line speeds are almost always limited by tires, suspension and speed limit.

If you get a mx5, it's much easier to drive at the limit of the car, because you have a significant windup about about an 1" of throttle input between 'near the edge of traction' and 'over the edge of traction'.

In a 135i, there's often only 1mm of pedal difference between 'near the edge of traction' and 'big power-oversteer'. And I found I can drive my 135i far more comfortably near the limit of traction when it's de-tuned to about 4psi than I can when it's pushing 19psi. But that's a restriction on my ability to fine-tune my input and feel the car and react _gently_ - not because the car has too much power.

I totally understand why it's not fun to drive a Porsche 911 on public roads - when the car is so tight in its handling that you can set cruise control to 55mph and just drive through the corners without changing speed - you need a faster track, tighter corners or a slower car.

But going for a 128i or a mx5 over a 135i - well, that's just choosing a more forgiving car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #18
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
I suppose, but to me the fun is pushing myself, not the car. You could go buy a 1990 Toyota Tercel if you just wanted to run a car hard and not be in danger.
      04-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #19
PKT RKT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I appreciate that, but I can say the 135i is very fast in a straight line, but with stock suspension it's a bucket-o-shit in the corners.

My speeds on public roads are very rarely limited by the engine of the car, even in a 1.2 liter naturally aspirated entry-level hatch. The power severely limits your corner-exit speeds, but my corner-entry speeds and straight-line speeds are almost always limited by tires, suspension and speed limit.

If you get a mx5, it's much easier to drive at the limit of the car, because you have a significant windup about about an 1" of throttle input between 'near the edge of traction' and 'over the edge of traction'.

In a 135i, there's often only 1mm of pedal difference between 'near the edge of traction' and 'big power-oversteer'. And I found I can drive my 135i far more comfortably near the limit of traction when it's de-tuned to about 4psi than I can when it's pushing 19psi. But that's a restriction on my ability to fine-tune my input and feel the car and react _gently_ - not because the car has too much power.

I totally understand why it's not fun to drive a Porsche 911 on public roads - when the car is so tight in its handling that you can set cruise control to 55mph and just drive through the corners without changing speed - you need a faster track, tighter corners or a slower car.

But going for a 128i or a mx5 over a 135i - well, that's just choosing a more forgiving car.

Interesting response. I can tell you understand the question that I’m asking.

It’s not a question of being “able to handle” a more powerful car. It’s a question of being able to reasonably push the car on the street to some level of upper handling and power limit, so that you can enjoy giving the car a workout.

So many of these big powerful cars don’t communicate a sense of speed to you. That’s what’s fun - the feeling that you’re really moving along, even though you’re at legal speed.

I don’t expect a 1-series to feel like a Miata, but I’m hoping it’s not boring below, say, 65mph....
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      04-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #20
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulMass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

Interesting response. I can tell you understand the question that I’m asking.

It’s not a question of being “able to handle” a more powerful car. It’s a question of being able to reasonably push the car on the street to some level of upper handling and power limit, so that you can enjoy giving the car a workout.

So many of these big powerful cars don’t communicate a sense of speed to you. That’s what’s fun - the feeling that you’re really moving along, even though you’re at legal speed.

I don’t expect a 1-series to feel like a Miata, but I’m hoping it’s not boring below, say, 65mph....
Why would it be any more or less boring than any other car?
      04-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #21
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Why would it be any more or less boring than any other car?
I can answer that

I've not had the pleasure of driving one, but I've read feedback that driving a high end Porsche 911 is no fun on public roads because it takes very little skill or co-ordination to drive around most corners at the posted speed limit.

They're simply too competent to be engaging at road speeds; and you really need to be risking your license to feel like you're pushing your limits or the cars.

I have had the pleasure of driving these: a X5 4.8is (which I could extrapolate is the same experience as a X5M) and a C63 AMG Merc were both no fun in traffic or on windy roads. They were simply too big and too insulated to throw around a corner at the traffic lights, and suffered the same sort of thing as the aformentioned porsche on country roads - it was like driving in a limo at 55 miles per hour, and if you hugged a corner rated for 40mph it'd just drive where you pointed it.

The 135i is much smaller, but (especially once modified) it's power to weight ratio isn't that far off the cars above; and it's certainly a much more insulated experience than throwing a Miata, a WRX or a Kia Rio around in traffic.

But as I said above - I think the 135i is plenty small, plenty unstable and plenty 'raw' to be having fun below 55mph - even with 400rwhp. If anything, I sometimes don't find it fun because it's too challenging and twitchy for me to drive in second gear at more than 80%.

... all that said, I have the convertible version, because - in the same way that many people think driving with an auto is far less engaging than a manual; I think driving with a roof is far less engaging than without
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #22
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

chris_flies