BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
rho123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - sold, 2007 Z4C

Need help with electrical or computer issue on E82

Hey all,

I have a 2013 128i with iDrive. This is what happened:
1. key fob did not work
2. tried touching door handle (CA)
3. tried unlock button on key fob
4. opened the door manually with key
5. inserted the key fob and started the car
6. settings were reset or changed: climate control went to 60C, door lock settings changed to drive only, seat memory changed, split screen content changed....
7. seems that the key fob works now

what's going on? Plan to bring to the dealer.

rho123
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:02 AM   #2
HomoPirate
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Always BMW

There's nothing serious with your problem. Mostly because the dead battery in your key fob with CA. Every key fob has their own profile which save the climate control setting, multimedia setting, seat position, idrive setting the last time you turn off the ignition with specify key fob. And because the battery is dead, the key fob become unrecognisable by the system and you lose the profile as well.
Current: F87 M2 Competition Long Beach Blue | Completely Stock |
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
rho123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - sold, 2007 Z4C

Thanks for the feedback. It makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Stewy_604
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i M-Sport

If a new battery in your fob doesn't do it, your CA module may be fried. I replaced mine last year. A water leak in the trunk caused it to short out. The module sits in the passenger side trunk well, mounted vertically. There was about 3" of water in that well...not good for electronics!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
jamespaoli
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy_604 View Post
If a new battery in your fob doesn't do it, your CA module may be fried. I replaced mine last year. A water leak in the trunk caused it to short out. The module sits in the passenger side trunk well, mounted vertically. There was about 3" of water in that well...not good for electronics!
Hey man,

Quick question i have the same issue but my car is non comfort access. my key fob buttons dont work on multiple fobs and a brand new one from dealer.

Is this module also present in non CA card? or is there any module that serves as the reciever for non CA cars that can fail? Thanks im going crazy trying to figure this out
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespaoli View Post
Hey man,

Quick question i have the same issue but my car is non comfort access. my key fob buttons dont work on multiple fobs and a brand new one from dealer.

Is this module also present in non CA card? or is there any module that serves as the reciever for non CA cars that can fail? Thanks im going crazy trying to figure this out
Fairly certain they're totally different and yes it does sound like your receiver is not working if all keys fail to connect.
      10-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Fairly certain they're totally different and yes it does sound like your receiver is not working if all keys fail to connect.
Hey Matticus, i appreciate the reply.. Ive replaced my diversity amplifier which sucked cause i took the headliner down as everything i read pointed to it...

Do you know for a car without comfort access which component should be replaced next if NONE of the FOB buttons work but all the keys start the car?

PS - Ive changed batterieies and bought new FOB so i know it isnt the key itself
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Hey Matticus, i appreciate the reply.. Ive replaced my diversity amplifier which sucked cause i took the headliner down as everything i read pointed to it...

Do you know for a car without comfort access which component should be replaced next if NONE of the FOB buttons work but all the keys start the car?

PS - Ive changed batterieies and bought new FOB so i know it isnt the key itself
Yeah wouldn't expect the batteries to be the issue - I don't know which module controls non-CA remotes, but I'm sure a BMW service adviser could tell you over a quick call
      10-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #9
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

When you say you changed batteries surely you're talking about the car battery, right? Since the FOBs don't need replacement (and the battery shouldn't be replaced).

Just confirming because it seems like a car battery issue
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

CA fobs don't use rechargeable batteries, and do need replacement occasionally.

Non CA fobs, have rechargeable batteries as the fob is always inserted into the dash while the car is in use and are recharged automatically.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #11
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
When you say you changed batteries surely you're talking about the car battery, right? Since the FOBs don't need replacement (and the battery shouldn't be replaced).

Hey so yeah the CA Key fobs are replaceable where as the non-CA are rechargable "non-replaceable"
But you can actually replace the battery and re-solder it to the board and re-purchase the key housing cause you gotta split it open.. which i did trying to save a penny and the key works to start the car.. ive also purchased brand new FOB from dealer and regardless, none of the key fob buttons work, lock, unlock and trunk...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Quote:

Hey so yeah the CA Key fobs are replaceable where as the non-CA are rechargable "non-replaceable"
But you can actually replace the battery and re-solder it to the board and re-purchase the key housing cause you gotta split it open.. which i did trying to save a penny and the key works to start the car.. ive also purchased brand new FOB from dealer and regardless, none of the key fob buttons work, lock, unlock and trunk...
Yes, so is the car battery new or not?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, so is the car battery new or not?
Battery is not new but ive tested it with a multi-meter and comes back good cold and not

doesnt drop below 10a on cold start
and remains at 12.7 normally after started previously
14+ when running

So i am believing there is another root cause.. just dont know where to look now

- Tested battery
- Replaced Key fob, charged key fob in toothbrush etc
- Replace diversity antenna
Still key fobs buttons dont work, my lock button in center console works and trunk button on the left side drivers seat works..
Appreciate 0