BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #67
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
What is the "radio station info" item? Is that how you can tell if you got the new software? What do I look for?
Just the RDS telling you what song is playing etc...nothing too fancy.
      05-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #68
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Ah yeah. Just saw it when I got in my car this morning (I don't usually listen to the radio).

So, I was also thinking... I've actually had my #943 pump installed, along with the software upgrade, about 3 months ago. Since then, I've been to 3 autocross events and an intense track day at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in NV. I think maybe you guys citing major performance losses might be exaggerating a tad. At least with my car, it wasn't significant enough to notice.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #69
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Ah yeah. Just saw it when I got in my car this morning (I don't usually listen to the radio).

So, I was also thinking... I've actually had my #943 pump installed, along with the software upgrade, about 3 months ago. Since then, I've been to 3 autocross events and an intense track day at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in NV. I think maybe you guys citing major performance losses might be exaggerating a tad. At least with my car, it wasn't significant enough to notice.
there was some adjusting and i have had some performance back, but my boost pressures are still lower than before. Got to 6.5 psi on a 3rd gear WOT..still able to spin the wheels up to 3rd gear shifting, but before my boost would have read 8-9psi (which is prob a bit of a boost overshoot from the ecu). My mpg still sucks, but could be that i am pushing the car a bit to see if i can have the ecu adapt, which again it definitely has since picking it up a few weeks ago.
      05-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #70
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:

From what it sounds like, the people who are complaining about the performance losses are the ones who just got the "pre pump replacement software fix" not the actual #943 pump.
(Anyone with a new pump and still has shitty performance, please correct me if Im wrong.)

I know this may be a shot in the dark, ....but...one could theorize that the software patch that BMW does before authorizing a new pump may be different than the software flashed in after a new pump is installed.
Prior to pump install maybe they install software that will lessen the load on the failing pump to see if they can get anymore time out of it.
After the new pump is installed, reflash with the appropriate software to bring the car back to its original operating level?
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #71
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Just the RDS telling you what song is playing etc...nothing too fancy.
Ah, ok. I wondered what people were talking about, cause my radio always has that. I don't notice anything different. I think someone on another thread said the font changed.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #72
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
From what it sounds like, the people who are complaining about the performance losses are the ones who just got the "pre pump replacement software fix" not the actual #943 pump.
(Anyone with a new pump and still has shitty performance, please correct me if Im wrong.)

I know this may be a shot in the dark, ....but...one could theorize that the software patch that BMW does before authorizing a new pump may be different than the software flashed in after a new pump is installed.
Prior to pump install maybe they install software that will lessen the load on the failing pump to see if they can get anymore time out of it.
After the new pump is installed, reflash with the appropriate software to bring the car back to its original operating level?
Mine was replaced on March 29th and the part number is 1 13-51-7-594-943. I got the updated software and my car is a turtle. I hate this! I'm seriously contemplating on getting rid of my car. If I keep I'd like to get a "light tune" to it. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Myles
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #73
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Mine was replaced on March 29th and the part number is 1 13-51-7-594-943. I got the updated software and my car is a turtle. I hate this! I'm seriously contemplating on getting rid of my car. If I keep I'd like to get a "light tune" to it. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Myles
GIAC is the best tune by far. BMS has the best service by far. You can't go wrong with either one.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #74
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
GIAC is the best tune by far. BMS has the best service by far. You can't go wrong with either one.
Which is really safe!? I just want about 20 30 more hp and use stock map when I dont need it. Does that make sense?
Myles
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 01:07 AM   #75
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Which is really safe!? I just want about 20 30 more hp and use stock map when I dont need it. Does that make sense?
Myles
Look into the JB+.

It seems to give a good increase for very little money, and it seems very easy to install and remove.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 04:03 AM   #76
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
I got the new software this week. Observations:
- Marked turbo lag
- Feels sluggish, less power
- Whirring noise when car unlocked
- Increased battery discharge - this was traced back to the software update failing on one of the components. This caused the alternator not to charge the battery.

Car went in again Today:
- No more turbo lag!

Also, I have a DMS flash tune on my car. DMS have advised me that there is new tuner protection code in the new software. Meaning they cannot reflash my car just yet and are working on the problem.

I miss my extra horses!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #77
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

X5Mad,

When you say your car went in again and its no longer got turbo lag, what did they do to the car to change it?

did they reinstall the program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I got the new software this week. Observations:
- Marked turbo lag
- Feels sluggish, less power
- Whirring noise when car unlocked
- Increased battery discharge - this was traced back to the software update failing on one of the components. This caused the alternator not to charge the battery.

Car went in again Today:
- No more turbo lag!

Also, I have a DMS flash tune on my car. DMS have advised me that there is new tuner protection code in the new software. Meaning they cannot reflash my car just yet and are working on the problem.

I miss my extra horses!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #78
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Sounds strange but yep all they did was reinstall again.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #79
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Myles
The safest is BMW Performance tune. 2nd safest is Dinan Stage 1, then Dinan Stage 2. But these are not exactly best bang for your buck.

Piggyback tunes like JB3 and Vishnu are probably just as safe for the long run on low maps if you don't mind removing them for dealer visits. And they can do the map 0 stock tune, though I doubt that you'll ever use it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #80
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
I think it's obvious that the new BMW flash is frequently not getting 100% loaded on the first try.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #81
BimmerSchnitzel
J1V3.455.7URCK3Y
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I think it's obvious that the new BMW flash is frequently not getting 100% loaded on the first try.
It's like the car is getting a bad kidney transplant, it knows it's trash and is rejecting it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #82
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSchnitzel View Post
It's like the car is getting a bad kidney transplant, it knows it's trash and is rejecting it.
Right all it is, is a failure!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #83
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I asked the tech who came on a test drive with me, about adaptation and how long he thinks it takes. He said that adaptation for overall operation will happen within a few days. That's my experience with most cars.
Overall engine ECU adaptation is a continually monitored and adjusted system. With new software most of the base operations happen quickly within a few drives. But, he did say that throttle adaptation could take a good bit longer. He suggested, that if my engine continued operating as it is, that they could do a full "adaptation reset", so that the system would start fresh with the new software. He said there is a chance overall performance might improve.

Frankly I'm a bit pissed by that. Why not do the full reset when they do a new software install? It only makes sense.
I don't know if the lag I and others are feeling is throttle adaptation related.
It would be great if it were as it seems pretty simple to have this done.

Maybe when you took it in that's what they did, a full reset.
I'm going to have them do it to at least try it out, because my current engine performance is not what I expected.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #84
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Um, full reset just means unplugging the battery for a few minutes, FYI.
      05-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #85
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I asked the tech who came on a test drive with me, about adaptation and how long he thinks it takes. He said that adaptation for overall operation will happen within a few days. That's my experience with most cars.
Overall engine ECU adaptation is a continually monitored and adjusted system. With new software most of the base operations happen quickly within a few drives. But, he did say that throttle adaptation could take a good bit longer. He suggested, that if my engine continued operating as it is, that they could do a full "adaptation reset", so that the system would start fresh with the new software. He said there is a chance overall performance might improve.

Frankly I'm a bit pissed by that. Why not do the full reset when they do a new software install? It only makes sense.
I don't know if the lag I and others are feeling is throttle adaptation related.
It would be great if it were as it seems pretty simple to have this done.

Maybe when you took it in that's what they did, a full reset.
I'm going to have them do it to at least try it out, because my current engine performance is not what I expected.
RPM90,

I have definitely had much improvement this week with what i can only assume is engine adaptation. I actually took my car out to some empty roads and really opened it up...WOT 2K-7K rpm in 1-4th gears. Did a few runs and on my last runs my boost pressures where getting higher. Still a bit more lag than before...but able to spin my wheels in gears 1-3 during shifting and acceleration.

tim
      05-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #86
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Ah, ok. I wondered what people were talking about, cause my radio always has that. I don't notice anything different. I think someone on another thread said the font changed.
Mine had the RDS showing the song & artist playing, but it wouldn't update for 2-3 minutes after the next song started, so it was mostly about 1 song off almost. After I brought it in, they did the software update (I also had the long/multiple crank problem) and claimed it would fix both problems. The RDS show instantly shows the the right song when a new song starts, so that's fixed. Long cranks issues is still TBD. The day after I got it back, it would hardly accelerate. More than 15-20% throttle and nothing happened. I turned it off and back on, and then it was normal. But it sure didn't seem like it had as much power as before. The third day it seemed a smige better. So I don't know if it just takes time to adapt or what. Time will tell I guess.
      05-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #87
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
RPM90,

I have definitely had much improvement this week with what i can only assume is engine adaptation. I actually took my car out to some empty roads and really opened it up...WOT 2K-7K rpm in 1-4th gears. Did a few runs and on my last runs my boost pressures where getting higher. Still a bit more lag than before...but able to spin my wheels in gears 1-3 during shifting and acceleration.

tim
So youre telling me if I start "pushing my car around" it'll be faster? Also will the adaption hold itself for future "spirited" driving?
Myles
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #88
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Um, full reset just means unplugging the battery for a few minutes, FYI.

That's typically what should happen.
I'm just reporting back what the guy said.

I could disconnect the battery myself and give it a try, but as I don't know what the BMW software these days, I'll let them give it another try.

These systems get more and more complex every year. I don't know for sure, but it's possible that the system may hold memory longer than just disconnecting for a few minutes.

Like Mineo, today my car felt better, and it was 93F.
The lag is still there, and it might be getting better with more and more hard runs, but I was impressed with the power today given how hot it was.

BTW, my car had long cranks but nearly always during cold weather.
It hasn't been cold since my update, but no long cranks at all.
Appreciate 0