BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Crazy Idea: Active Motor Mounts?

Just an interesting thought I've been having whilst rethinking my decision to swap to solid motor mounts. I love the crispness and performance they offer; they really improve the driving experience for the better, but are absolutely despicable things when sitting in traffic. My poor car feels like it's going to shake itself apart at idle everywhere else in the rev range, though, it's fine, delightful even.

Could something like Porsche's active motor mounts be created/modified for our use? I love the duality they offer. Perfectly refined one minute, then solid as needed at the flip of a switch (or press of a Sport + button). It was cool playing with it in a 991.1 Carrera S I got to drive a while ago...great car!

It'd probably be cost-prohibitive, but I'm intrigued by the idea...

Thoughts? Could such a thing be modified or fabricated for our cars? Alternative ideas?
AndyW665.50
      11-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I swore one of the lineups had an active mount. But looking through parts I can't find it now. Thought it was the 5 series, and was in part why the 1/3 mounts don't work on them.

Alternative would be stock mounts and a damper, strut style.
Appreciate 1