BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #9373
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Took it for a nice highway drive today. Lost track of time because I was moving so fast and I liked the sound of the engine in 6th gear at highway speeds.
      10-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #9374
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
booOOOOOOSSSSTTTT weather is starting!
Feed the snail(s).

BimmerAg425.00
      10-07-2018, 08:58 PM   #9375
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Looks like a great idea. Where do the kids go?

Will it fit easily into the trunk (along with a daypack or two) if I need to transport rear seat passengers?
Kids or other people in the backseat was never a consideration since it's just the wife and myself. I'm 6'4 and that leaves little room in the back for any passengers. This deflector will not fold and storing in the trunk is sketchy, but doable. I will not lay down flat in the trunk, but it will tuck in behind the back of the front seats if needed.

That said, daypacks will ride nicely under the screen with no chance of them blowing out. If you have kids in the back, there's no way to use the deflector. For me, this is a good choice for my needs...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 06:10 AM   #9376
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
Stuff looks good, how was the install?
I actually had a local upholstery shop do the work, so it was super easy...

I feel pretty confident I could have done it myself though - I just didn't have time or a good place to work, and was getting anxious to get them on.

I have done similar things before, like putting new leather covers on the armrests of my wife's Honda. You just have to make sure that you have marked a good line on the parts to use as a guide, and go slow. For me, it was easier to put the glue on in sections to make sure I had things lined up correctly, and to keep myself from accidentally gluing something down before I wanted it glued down.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #9377
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
It is a Doug Whalen Shift Machine from a R53 Mini Cooper S that I had a while back. It fits perfectly except that I had to file a few little notches on the shift lever for the ball bearings inside the knob shaft to catch on (it has kind of a quick release feature so you can pull the knob off easily). The knob is also angled slightly towards the driver on the BMW, compared to how it sits on the Mini.

Overall, it is by far my favorite shift knob - although being solid stainless steel it does get a little warm sitting out in the sun, and a little cold in freezing weather. I really like feel of round shift knobs, and this one is the perfect diameter for me. I have tried several others, but they all feel too big around.
Thanks for the heads up on Whalen. Looks like they sell a BMW knob as well. $150 is a bit much but I may end up with one. I had a spherical shift knob on my old Miata and it was excellent.
Appreciate 2
cjb7621221.50
      10-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #9378
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Thanks for the heads up on Whalen. Looks like they sell a BMW knob as well. $150 is a bit much but I may end up with one. I had a spherical shift knob on my old Miata and it was excellent.
No problem - although in this case, you really do get what you pay for. The quality is amazing. I have read that he can make the knobs out of a lot of different materials (like delrin). I noticed that the billiard knobs are quite a bit less expensive, maybe other materials are as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #9379
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No problem - although in this case, you really do get what you pay for. The quality is amazing. I have read that he can make the knobs out of a lot of different materials (like delrin). I noticed that the billiard knobs are quite a bit less expensive, maybe other materials are as well.
If I'm going to bother with this at all, I'd get the brushed stainless steel one. Do you happen to know how the weight compares to a stock shift knob? Being a ball of steel, I assume it's heavier. I have the ZHP knob now and it feels way better than stock, but the shape isn't great. Also, I hate the M logo. The M logo on the ZHP knob is the only one on my car and it would be excellent to ditch it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #9380
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
If I'm going to bother with this at all, I'd get the brushed stainless steel one. Do you happen to know how the weight compares to a stock shift knob? Being a ball of steel, I assume it's heavier. I have the ZHP knob now and it feels way better than stock, but the shape isn't great. Also, I hate the M logo. The M logo on the ZHP knob is the only one on my car and it would be excellent to ditch it.
Yeah, it's definitely a substantial piece of gear. Using my el cheapo kitchen scale, it looks like the Whalen comes in at just under 18oz, while the ZHP knob is 3.4oz, and the performance knob (with Alcantara) is 6oz.

I like the shape of the performance knob too - it reminds me of the one on my first Miata, which I thought was awesome, but I don't really care for the feel of the Alcantara.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Matticus913474.50
      10-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #9381
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it's definitely a substantial piece of gear. Using my el cheapo kitchen scale, it looks like the Whalen comes in at just under 18oz, while the ZHP knob is 3.4oz, and the performance knob (with Alcantara) is 6oz.

I like the shape of the performance knob too - it reminds me of the one on my first Miata, which I thought was awesome, but I don't really care for the feel of the Alcantara.
Wow, a direct comparison of this to the ZHP! Good work!

Do you know the diameter of the Whalen?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #9382
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Wow, a direct comparison of this to the ZHP! Good work!

Do you know the diameter of the Whalen?
Yeah - the diameter is 2 inches.
Appreciate 1
rowsdower640.50
      10-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #9383
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I had some relaxing fun with new friends in the Shenandoah.

I need an exhaust...
You do indeed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Looks like fun!

Matticus91, is that your car up front in the top pic? You wrapped your hood. Looks good!
That is indeed my car, and thanks! I did it at 6am right before the cruise. Never. Ever. Again. Lol.

I took a bunch of pics that I'll edit tonight or tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
It is, and he did. His car looks, sounds, and smells gnarly.

I've heard that E85 smells like corn, but I never believed it. It does literally smell like burning popcorn. Who knew?

10-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #9384
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
Installed a wind deflector in the e88. I love riding around with the top down, but the wife isn't as big of a fan since it blows her hair so bad. Since mine is pretty much buzzed, doesn't bother me, but needed a solution. Ordered this from ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WIND-DEFLEC...habtIQ&vxp=mtr

Gotta say, it's a pretty nice setup and does a great job of deflecting the wind. It was the cheapest thing I could find on ebay and I'm impressed with how it's made. Has spring loaded pins that just pop into the side holes. Came from the Netherlands and only took 5 days to get here. No additional wind noise with this in the up position.

So THAT'S what those holes are for.....
      10-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #9385
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinca View Post
So THAT'S what those holes are for.....
LOL.... yeah, that's what they are for...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #9386
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

https://www.thisisinsider.com/trump-...r-pain-2018-10

Hmmmm....
      10-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #9387
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
booOOOOOOSSSSTTTT weather is starting! Even in FL, at least up in north fl, was mid 60's on the way to work Friday and my baby was soooo happy

I've been running the S3 ots map from xhp for a few days now- wow, what an improvement over s2! Across the board better. Frankly, if I was to do it over again I would just skip all the "I don't need it...." bull pucky and just go straight to the stage 3. It's that much better.

Now to start prepping for the next stage two rolling through Tally- Hurricane Michael...

erm... yay I guess??.....
Wonder just how much more power we NA guys will see ^^

Arrived to Nürburg, looking at apartments for rent. This whole county (Ahrweiler) is really big and everything available is 40+kms away and a bit pricey.

Got me thinking, about the other towns just outside Nürburg, sure enough there are towns 20-25kms away from the ring, more availability and nicely priced. So i will be taking a look there tomorrow and hopefully start moving mid November.

Night driving here at the Eifel Forest is dangerous,i though Bavaria was hilly, this is on another level. There are patrol cars hidden around so many corners, apparently people like to "drive fast" around the ring as well as on it and lots of fines being handed out. Wild life is also very dangerous, the amount of rabbits, deer, foxes and weasels that just jumped out across the road , made me place my left foot on the brakes just in case i need a sudden stop.

Found some DIY workshops also around those areas, big plus for me.

Camber! more camber! despite the dangerous curves, the car feels at home doing the speed limit and eating corners, can not wait to get those M3 arms, RSFBs and sway bars installed and just smiles around corners.

Wish me luck apartment hunting tomorrow, it can get frustrating.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #9388
kc0444
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 135i M Sport 6sp

Raised the rev limiter on my 135i 6mt to 8350. No capable if doing 80mph in 2nd and a whopping 240mph in 6th 😎🏎

Now to upgraded the low pressure fuel pump since it struggles sometimes with full e85 at that rpm (I know people think they need to upgrade it to run e85 I was just proving otherwise) and piece together a n55 bottom mount (maybe top mount) kit for my n55.
PS: I tune my own car using the jb4 e85 flash as a base. Also the n55 happily screams all the way to 8350 with no issue fuel pump is just for when I upgrade the turbo.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #9389
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

early last week I was driving home and heard the loudest pop which caused me to pull over immediately. I thought something happened with the exhaust or something. I looked around the car and under and listened to the revs, all was fine so I proceeded home.

And then I found this today:

Now I understand what made that pop noise, had to have been a walnut that feel from the top of the tree. Damn it!!!

Any advice on how to fix this? Was initially wanting to take off the a-pillar trim on the inside and push it out from the inside of the car.
      10-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #9390
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
early last week I was driving home and heard the loudest pop which caused me to pull over immediately. I thought something happened with the exhaust or something. I looked around the car and under and listened to the revs, all was fine so I proceeded home.

Now I understand what made that pop noise, had to have been a walnut that feel from the top of the tree. Damn it!!!

Any advice on how to fix this? Was initially wanting to take off the a-pillar trim on the inside and push it out from the inside of the car.
Bummer...

Is that too big or awkward for a PDR guy to work his magic on? Couldn't hurt to have it looked at by a reputable guy.

I had a guy do wonders on a couple little dents on my hood several years ago. Would never know they were ever there.
      10-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #9391
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Bummer...

Is that too big or awkward for a PDR guy to work his magic on? Couldn't hurt to have it looked at by a reputable guy.

I had a guy do wonders on a couple little dents on my hood several years ago. Would never know they were ever there.

Will have to look into my options.
      10-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #9392
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Drainedthe oil and poured in 7 quarts of Amsoil 0w40 Classic as usual. Ready for winter, except for winter tires/wheels which I'll probably do in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 05:34 AM   #9393
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:

Is the walnut part a joke?? Looks exactly like a baseball imprint/dent.
      10-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #9394
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Quote:

Is the walnut part a joke?? Looks exactly like a baseball imprint/dent.
I wish it was from a baseball. That way I could have thrown it right back into the kids eye socket.

Definitely something fell from a tree, most likely a walnut.