BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
iEatSand
Private
Rep
Drives: EvoIX, 135i, Fisker Karma ES

Amp missing? cut wires?

Hey looking to see if my amp is completely missing and if these cut wires are related to an aftermarket amp or if the prior owner took the OEM amp out before trading the car in. Sound doesnt work, the chiming noises worked for the first day I got it(leaving door open, etc). Aux, radio, all of that does not work and there is no sound. I imagine the problem is the missing amp, just curious on the best route of fixing it.

Would I be able to purchase an aftermarket amp and reroute the wires? It seems like there may be some of the wiring missing after looking at some other harnesses online.

Cheers!

Edit-- pictures not showing, here's the album

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by iEatSand; 12-16-2019 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Clearly there are cut wires. but - they don't look like factory wires.

Might have a pigtail harness in there that can be removed (or even later repurposed if you want to add additional stereo bits).

Look up some online how-to's for the factory amp location and how to remove panels and try tracing those wires.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
iEatSand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Clearly there are cut wires. but - they don't look like factory wires.

Might have a pigtail harness in there that can be removed (or even later repurposed if you want to add additional stereo bits).

Look up some online how-to's for the factory amp location and how to remove panels and try tracing those wires.
On the picture of where the amp is (trunk panel left side) there is a pigtail that goes underneath the amp tray. It's only got 4 wires(if I remember correctly).

There is another amp on the 135i, right? I was reading somewhere that it is near the floorboard behind driver-seat but in front of rear seat?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Here's a how to thread I created for installing the Bimmertech amp. It'll show you the original amp and the wiring. My amp is in the location where you took the picture for your car.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ght=bimmertech

I have heard of some model years with a certain level of stereo having the amp located in that alternate location you mentioned.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

A big question to answer first, we should have asked, is what level of stereo you have in the car to begin with - base, mid level, Harmon Kardon? You can check the code listed if you have the original window sticker from the car or those details electronically i.e.decoding the VIN. There are some how-to-tell's around as well. MusicarNW has a good one on their site.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
iEatSand
Private
Rep

Quote:
A big question to answer first, we should have asked, is what level of stereo you have in the car to begin with - base, mid level, Harmon Kardon? You can check the code listed if you have the original window sticker from the car or those details electronically i.e.decoding the VIN. There are some how-to-tell's around as well. MusicarNW has a good one on their site.
I don't have the Harmon Kardon. I imagine it's the mid level stero, it's Hifi & nav. Car is essentially fully loaded besides heated seats and harmon kardon.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I want to say that amp is on the left side, in the trunk. Under a plastic piece showing in one of your pictures. Do you still have the trunk torn apart and / or have you traced back any of those cut wires? zx10guy 's write-up linked above shows it perfectly (nice job, man).
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10512.00
      12-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatSand View Post
I don't have the Harmon Kardon. I imagine it's the mid level stero, it's Hifi & nav. Car is essentially fully loaded besides heated seats and harmon kardon.
What year 135i do you have? 2010 models had the bastard "base" stereo system. For years before you had three levels. For model years after all cars came with HiFi and HK was optional(with the triangle speakers on the top of the door cards.

HK or Alpine(BMW's upgrade kit for base model stereo systems)...
Name:  Alpine_1er tweeters.gif
Views: 1005
Size:  118.9 KB

I thought the amp location for early builds('08 and '09's) was behind the drivers seat(rear passenger!) on the inside of the quarter panel. You have to remove the rear seat trim panel, where you(your passenger riding in the rear behind the drive!) rest your left arm... there is a silver panel that you can remove to gain access to the amp.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1 Series Audio Background 1.0.pdf (20.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: pdf Alpine Retrofit Kit II.pdf (1.13 MB, 59 views)
File Type: pdf Audio systems_ E87, E90, E91, E92.pdf (191.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: pdf Audio_Harman_Kardon.pdf (237.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf audio_harman_kardon_bmw_1_series.pdf (597.1 KB, 70 views)
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
iEatSand
Private
Rep

Wow great information from everyone. I have a 2008 135i. The trunk and everything is still torn apart and I did some digging today with more pictures. The car is really messy, I'll be giving it a deep vacuum and clean since the previous owner through garbage under the passenger seat...

There is a harness in the trunk with the part #1-1355084-2e

There are 4 wires also in the trunk that are cut. There's a black harness with what looks like 4 smaller wires inside of it. There is a single blue wire, and there is a dual-blue wire.

The set of wires go under the passenger seat and floorboard towards the driver-side seat. Once they get to the driver seat, the dual-blue wires go underneath seat to who knows where.

The black wire, along with single blue wire go all the way up towards the trunk release/hood latch.

Pictures are a bit out of order. The harness with part number listed above goes into the wheelwheel somewhere. After looking around some state it is for an amp/radio harness. What is it doing in the trunk? I'm curious that whoever had this car before me messed around with the audio system quite a bit. Maybe even upgraded the stereo from the base equipment it had.

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by iEatSand; 12-17-2019 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 06:19 PM   #10
iEatSand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
What year 135i do you have? 2010 models had the bastard "base" stereo system. For years before you had three levels. For model years after all cars came with HiFi and HK was optional(with the triangle speakers on the top of the door cards.

Attachment 2201042

I thought the amp location for early builds('08 and '09's) was behind the drivers seat(rear passenger!) on the inside of the quarter panel. You have to remove the rear seat trim panel, where you(your passenger riding in the rear behind the drive!) rest your left arm... there is a silver panel that you can remove to gain access to the amp.
My 08 135i does have the triangle speakers on top of the door cards, however they do not have any writing on them stating bose/hk/alpine etc. But they are there.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      12-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #11
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ugh what a mess. My amp (Harmon Kardon) was indeed behind a silver panel next to the driver's side passenger, under the trim. As Dackelone mentioned above as being an option.

Hmm, your wires appear to be going from the trunk, under the driver's door sill, and further on under the dash?

Totally guessing, the single blue wire could be an amp turn-on lead, the pair of blue wires looks somewhat like an RCA lead, and that black cable something like a remote sub gain knob. I have a feeling you'll find these all somehow connected to the back of the stereo in the dash itself. Except for the sub gain, it might connect to a small dial/knob somewhere up front, perhaps slightly hidden out of sight. Unless that end was also cut and the thing removed.

Due to power and ground being easily available in the trunk and often involving purchased components (i.e. fuse holders), that stuff was probably completely removed. These other things would potentially come from the dash and be run down to an added subwoofer.

In theory these open circuit wires won't cause an actual problem, but they aren't good in general and cutting them could have shorted something.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      12-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
iEatSand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ugh what a mess. My amp (Harmon Kardon) was indeed behind a silver panel next to the driver's side passenger, under the trim. As Dackelone mentioned above as being an option.

Hmm, your wires appear to be going from the trunk, under the driver's door sill, and further on under the dash?

Totally guessing, the single blue wire could be an amp turn-on lead, the pair of blue wires looks somewhat like an RCA lead, and that black cable something like a remote sub gain knob. I have a feeling you'll find these all somehow connected to the back of the stereo in the dash itself. Except for the sub gain, it might connect to a small dial/knob somewhere up front, perhaps slightly hidden out of sight. Unless that end was also cut and the thing removed.

Due to power and ground being easily available in the trunk and often involving purchased components (i.e. fuse holders), that stuff was probably completely removed. These other things would potentially come from the dash and be run down to an added subwoofer.

In theory these open circuit wires won't cause an actual problem, but they aren't good in general and cutting them could have shorted something.
I was curious if these wires are for a sub. What confuses me is the harness adaptor in the normal place for an amp(trunk left side). There are only two wires that I can tell go to the dash, the single blue wire, and the black wire. There's a set of two blue wires connected that go towards underneath the driver seat, and towards the center armrest.

That leads the two wires (black and blue) that could go to the stereo or nav unit, along with the other set going to who knows where.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #13
iEatSand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Attachment 2201042

Also, do you know of any write ups or DIY to remove/get to that silver panel? I don't want to go all out and break stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790113

Video ^
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      12-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatSand View Post
Also, do you know of any write ups or DIY to remove/get to that silver panel? I don't want to go all out and break stuff.

I think it just pops on. Maybe Bimmer-Bob could chime in ?
He has an excellent DIY on the Alpina retrofit amp kit...

Alpine HiFi System Retrofit!
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505654

also download his pdf... I think it also chows how the tweeters attach to the doors.

Musicar NW has done some great write ups in the past. He's not too active right now. I would run a search on his past posts. I believe he has an Audio shop in Oregon area. ?

Did you look at these "sticky" threads in the Audio section ?
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234

Also... this website might help you trace those wires...
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e82-135i-cou/

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #16
iEatSand
Private
Rep

The previous owner of the cars name is on the current title I got(I'm a dealer and got this car for areally good deal). Planning on keeping it as a daily and slowly building it into a track/time attack car. I'm torn on fixing it up or stripping it down and caging it lol.

At this point I think I'll fix it up and bring it back to stock to get used to what's been done to it and learn more about the chassis and engine/electrical components.

I figured I'll send the person on the title a letter and see if they could contact me about what's been done to it, and what will be needed. They might have the amp or part they cut-out laying around their house. Only issue is I'm in Oregon and they're in Florida. Either way I think that could be my best bet while I dig around and pull some panels off to figure out where these wires go.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00