BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
HurryDowns
Rep
Drives:

Anyway to lower the incoming call ring noise?

Hey everyone,

I have the iDrive '09 with bluetooth option. Whenever I get a phone call my music stops playing and a ringing noise plays. This is normal, but is there anyway to lower this noise? It plays much much MUCH louder than my music, so its not like I'm blasting my music. Its so loud it often scares passengers in my car! I've looked everywhere and I can't find a way to lower it! (Besides turning the volume knob way down on the radio while the phone is still ringing...)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurryDowns View Post
Hey everyone,

I have the iDrive '09 with bluetooth option. Whenever I get a phone call my music stops playing and a ringing noise plays. This is normal, but is there anyway to lower this noise? It plays much much MUCH louder than my music, so its not like I'm blasting my music. Its so loud it often scares passengers in my car! I've looked everywhere and I can't find a way to lower it! (Besides turning the volume knob way down on the radio while the phone is still ringing...)

Thanks!
That's exactly what you should do, and it is supposed to set that phone ring volume to that level permanently.

If that does not do it then you should take the car to the dealer because it is a fault.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
HurryDowns
Rep
Drives:

I did not know that. Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT Alpine White

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
this is the function but isn't it one "phone" volume. so that when he actually does answer the phone - the volume of the person talking is too low and he'll have to turn it back up?

I thought this was how it worked. Maybe i didn't pay close enough attention.

Shadow Blue MK6 GTI 4-Dr DSG
Euro OEM Reverse Camera |
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The ring volume and the voice volume sometimes sound at different levels, and so far my observation is that it is phone dependent and not an issue with the iDrive or the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
brian.toth
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

With my iPhone 3G the ring volume is connected to the call volume. So, if I lower the ring volume to a level that doesn't sound like an alarm going off, then I can't hear the caller without cranking the volume up again.

Personally, I think the better function, especially with the iDrive, would be to have a separate ringer volume in the tone settings of the car. I find even the quietest ring volume is plenty loud enough.

(And does anyone else notice that the navigation volume is linked to the phone volume if you're on a call? It's like having someone yell the directions at you.)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.toth View Post
With my iPhone 3G the ring volume is connected to the call volume. So, if I lower the ring volume to a level that doesn't sound like an alarm going off, then I can't hear the caller without cranking the volume up again.

Personally, I think the better function, especially with the iDrive, would be to have a separate ringer volume in the tone settings of the car. I find even the quietest ring volume is plenty loud enough.
Same for me. I keep jumping out of my seat when a call comes in, turn the volume knob down, but then I turn it back up to talk. I sure wish it could be controlled separately.
      02-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
brian.toth
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I got mine straightened out. Lowered the ringer volume on the iPhone itself to about 3 bars or less... makes the ringer in the car noticeable, but not scary loud. Then, I was able to adjust the call volume on the stereo to a reasonable level.

I think I still need to play around with the bluetooth volume on the phone itself to improve the call quality in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 11:35 PM   #9
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Holy Necro-thread, I know.
But it speaks to just what I need.

Ring volume was loud but acceptable with LG Android on my 2012 135i I-Drive.
Recently replaced it with an iPhone 11. Ringer volume makes me jump through the roof! But actual call volume seems similar to the Android.
I’m going to work through your suggestions and hopefully take care if it.

Update: Turned stereo volume down while calling myself (from a different phone.) Had a huge effect on ringer volume. Voice volume was still fine. So I think it worked. Thanks!

Will need to try in use, though, when someone else calls me while I'm listening to music and driving to validate for sure.

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 12-17-2019 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0