BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Can M Dynamic Mode (MDM) be made the default?

Anyone know if the dealer can set MDM as your default traction control mode. It appears that by default, you have to set it to MDM every time you start the car. On my wife's GTI, it used to lock the doors when you pulled away. Drove me crazy, took it to dealer and they made it stop doing that. Anyone know or have connections to ask that question?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

auto-locking doors, or not-auto-looking doors... no safety issue here.
MDM auto off, or MDM auto on.... big safety issue here.

My guess that's definitely a no.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I concur... would you really need MDM on every drive to work? even for a track or autocross car... it's not THAT horrible to hold the button down for a few seconds before you go on track or do your run. Seeing how the traction control system has always been user defeatable each time you start the vehicle since the E36, I don't see that changing
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I'm sure it can be done. I'm not sure if the dealership is the place to get it done.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

The dealer will not do it. Liability is the big word here. If they did it and you wrecked while driving in the rain...
I know it sounds silly but look at all the stupid law suits holding up the court system.

This same question came up about every other month for 2-3 years in the Z4 section when BMW put a sport button in the car. Pushing the button is a good thing. Mentally you know you should now be a little more aware of your driving.

My $.02
      05-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
dominoM
Private Low Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 ZB 6MT

Reports of the standard traction setting intruding on spirited driving are plenty. I haven't heard much on what it is like when having a little fun around town.

Dan, since you're a 1M owner, is the standard traction setting annoying or no big deal, in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
The dealer will not do it. Liability is the big word here. If they did it and you wrecked while driving in the rain...
I know it sounds silly but look at all the stupid law suits holding up the court system.

This same question came up about every other month for 2-3 years in the Z4 section when BMW put a sport button in the car. Pushing the button is a good thing. Mentally you know you should now be a little more aware of your driving.

My $.02
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post

My $.02
Thanks, I wasn't asking about turning it traction control all the way off, just in dynamic mode. Right now, I'm tooling around in my E46. I'm taking a right turn at a busy intersection. As I pull out, don't see bozo flying at me. If I put the throttle down, and spin the wheel for a nanosecond, the Traction control kicks in the car stalls for a second, then picks up. Just think it the nannies should be less intrusive in these types of cars. I have read a few reviews and they felt the base traction control was too intrusive. I think mine is too intrusive on my E46.

That's all, not trying kill myself or anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Boxercup
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

This is a great idea.

The car is so much better in MDM, it's so much easier to make progress.

Comming from a Z3MC with no traction at all, MDM is still leaps better as a safety blanket and they let us drive around in them.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Agree on the liability issue, and the fact/question is do you really want it on all the time?

With that said, here is what the folks at Powerchip did for me when I asked them to develop a custom tune for my E39 M5. They incorporated a "Sport Button Memory Feature", which I think can easily be done on the 1 ///M. Instead of always having to activate the "sport" button everytime you restart the car, the software remembered if you had it on or off last time the car was running. Of course it didn't do anything to the TC control, that sitll had to be manually disabled, but I would think no tuner would want to incorporate that for the liability reasons mentioned above.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

Tape the button!
      05-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
Tape the button!
I LOVE IT! GTI guys always have the right answer : )

Wife has a Mk5...awesome seats. also like the Cayman a lot but have to have a back seat and rear drive so 1M is it for me!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I LOVE IT! GTI guys always have the right answer : )

Wife has a Mk5...awesome seats. also like the Cayman a lot but have to have a back seat and rear drive so 1M is it for me!
my wife has the mk5 R32 and i love holding down that button for what seems like a decade in winter to go tail happy.......It sucks *alls in the summer though....nice ride to go shopping in though
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I'm not saying I wouldn't want MDM on most of the time but traction control is going to be 100% on by default if the lawyers have anything to do with it, and they do. It does come on a little early but if you are smooth with steering and throttle you can still move damn fast. I'm a firm believer in being connected to the road (my race car doesn't even have the ABS connected) but on a street car I don't think it's a big deal to push the button.
      01-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #14
iDontRemember
Ding Dong!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Anyone know if the dealer can set MDM as your default traction control mode. It appears that by default, you have to set it to MDM every time you start the car. On my wife's GTI, it used to lock the doors when you pulled away. Drove me crazy, took it to dealer and they made it stop doing that. Anyone know or have connections to ask that question?
Nacho,

Sorry to bump a vintage thread but did you ever find out anything on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDontRemember View Post
Quote:
Nacho,

Sorry to bump a vintage thread but did you ever find out anything on this?
No never did. They would be scared for liability but would be nice. Maybe a cider can answer?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:00 AM   #16
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
No never did. They would be scared for liability but would be nice. Maybe a cider can answer?
The systems engineers only ever foresaw the option to code that the DSC could not be fully turned off by the driver. This option is default nicht_ aktive for our cars. No changing of default dsc mode. For the expert coders out there, they might be able to swap default dsc values with mdm values, but do not hold your breath on that.
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
///BYU268.50