BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

KW variant 2 installed this weekend.....

So in in between taking care of the gf over this Valentines day weekend I also found time to take care of my other love, the 135.

I installed the KW V2 set that I got from John and Drew at Gravity Autosport.

I started on it Saturday mid morning. By 3pm I had the fronts done. Hate to admit it took me so long for just the fronts, but I wrestled with it a bit to get the old strut assemblies free from the lower mounts, and took my time to make sure all was done right.

By 3pm, I called it quits for the day, cleaned up and took the gf out for a great italian dinner and a movie and some fun. Of note, excited girfriends can sometimes make a mess on your leather seats, advise carrying some leather wipes in your trunk. However, the 135 has now been christened!

Sunday mid morning I started on the rear. First the right rear, this went well, no issues. Left rear, the exhaust was making it impossible to remove the lower trailing arm eccentric bolt. I was already a bit cranky and short of patience. (lack of sleep, and sore from spending so much time on cold concrete floor) In a fit of frustration I slid under the car to unbolt the exhuast, my frustration lead to carelessness, the exhaust fell free and smacked me right in the nose. Upon such time I slid out.....uttered profanities like a sailor for the next 10 minutes, iced my nose, and then back to work. Buttoned up the left side, spent some time tweaking the ride height and also drilled some small 1/2" holes in the trunk liner so that I can freely adjust the rear shocks.

The struts and shocks are set to medium. Seven clicks from full firm.

Upon taking it for a test drive, I was impressed. It felt very compliant and streetable. Just like stock, no aweful bone jaring feel at all. However, when you go into a corner, it is much more balanced, composed and sooo flat. Very confidence inspiring! Additionally, I have zero vibration, clunks, or noises, the cabin is just as quiet as before.

Over the next couple weeks I plan to let the springs settle then fine tune the ride height, take her in for an alignment, and experiment with the different rebound settings to dial in my prefernece. Right now, it is perfect for street, but I do think I can tune it a bit firmer.

Overall, very pleased with the setup and eager to spend some seat time with it and tune it further!

This is the way the 135 should have come from the factory!

Pics to come later.

135 - KWv2 coilovers
E36 M3 - Ground Control coilovers
E30 M3 - H&R Race and Bilsteins

Last edited by Mark M; 02-16-2009 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
With the exception of the 'christening' part...great review! This is a mod I'm really looking forward to undertaking!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I, too installed my KW 2's and tho i ran into some trouble, I must admit, I love them! I'm 4 clicks from full firm in the back and they feel just a bit firmer than my buddy's M3 on stock suspension.
      02-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
arok
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

I'm bout to stiffen my fronts and rears up a bit.. glad you like your V2's
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

How much is the install or DIY? Have you considered to replace the F/R sway bars at the same time or you are happy with just the KW V2 upgrade? Thanks for your answer in advance.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

poor car got peed on

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
poor car got peed on
It was certainly not pee if ya know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
How much is the install or DIY? Have you considered to replace the F/R sway bars at the same time or you are happy with just the KW V2 upgrade? Thanks for your answer in advance.

Did the install myself. Took about 6 or 7 hours in total, but that included time for lunch, to run to a buddies place to grab an impact gun, etc. Could be done in less time, but I was not in a rush and wanted to be sure it was done right.

As for sway bars. Not sure I am going to go that route. I had once done sway bars on my e30 and never liked the feel. It made the car too bone jaring and too rigid, ideal for the track, not so ideal for street driving. Removed the big bars on that car this past summer, went back to stock bars, and upped the spring rates. Ride is much improved, handling has also improved.

Personally, I lean towards controlling a car with spring rates rather than big bars. I'd rather switch to a higher spring rate to keep the car flat than run larger bars. But that is just me.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

mark, could you do me a favor and take a picture of the endlink connection to the front coilover shocks?

I've had an issue with my V2 and I believe it's either a design flaw, or something is wrong with my factory setup. See this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231238

in particular, if you could be kind enough to take a picture of the where screw comes out of the locking nut, to see how much clearance you have, I would most appreciate it:

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep

SSABRIPO,

Yes, I will take a look this weekend. Thanks for the heads up on this matter. I plan on fine tuning the ride height this weekend now that the car has had a week for the springs to settle. While doing that I will take a couple pics of the sway end links as you mentioned. Thanks.

Suspect that if this is widespread, the fix would be to utilize diferent sway end links with longer bolts. Trust me, you don't want the strut housing tab to be thinner. This will only cause metal fatigue and in time the sway bars will cause the end links to rip through the strut mount tab. This happened on my e30 M3 and was scary. Imagine losing your sway bar mid corner at speed? Handling gets really dicey, lucky I did not stuff it into a tree.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep

SSABRIPO, Confirmed. My car is the same as your pics. The front end link nuts have zero threads pertruding from the nut. I did the same thing, added some loc-tite and really torqued em on there. Hopefully that will be suffiient. I did take a pic, but will share it later. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Congrats, I wish I had coilovers on my car right now
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
SSABRIPO, Confirmed. My car is the same as your pics. The front end link nuts have zero threads pertruding from the nut. I did the same thing, added some loc-tite and really torqued em on there. Hopefully that will be suffiient. I did take a pic, but will share it later. Thanks!
thank you mark!! well, this needs to be sent back to KW for further investigation!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
It was certainly not pee if ya know what I mean.
yea... we get it... ew.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2DR

As long as it is torqued down properly with some loctite, it will not come loose. The motion of the end link will not loosen the nut