BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Best headlight restoration kit

What is the best headlight restoration kit out there? I saw two youtube videos from the Chemical Guys. One was without the need for an orbital buffer. I don't own a buffer yet so thats what I am looking for.
They sell a kit called Glassy lite. Which after proper application lasts for a year.

My headlight lenses are not real bad but they need to be restored.
I have been using Mequires plastx but this only lasts about two weeks then needs to be reapplied. Any advice from detailers out there..thanks.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes

Last edited by PA135i; 03-22-2015 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

I've used several difference methods over the years and have found the most effective system is with abrasives, compound and polish.

Just to see how this works I did use the 3M system and it does a fairly decent job but I still used my DA with compound and polish when I wasn't quite satisfied. I know there are several good headlight lens sealants but I normally just use the same wax as I would apply on the car.

There seems to be a YouTube trend lately with headlight restoration videos that show using everything from toothpaste, WD40 and various one step products. Most modern headlights are made from polycarbonate that incorporate a thin UV coating. Once that UV coating is oxidized it's almost impossible to restore clarity without removing it. Thus the need for sanding and polishing.

This 3M system can work well with a drill but it takes patience. I would recommend cleaning your lamps first with a good glass cleaner to remove any debris. Next would be a wipe down with isopropyl alcohol. The grit paper in the 3M system should be from 800 up to 3000. I would first use the highest grit (high meaning 3000) to see what that removes first. The reason is that it's always harder to remove deeper sand scratches than fine. The goal is to remove the majority of the decontamination and damage with the highest grit. This will make the process easier and faster.

Let's say you find 1000 grit removes almost all the defects. Next would be to remove these sanding scratches with the next higher grit, probably 1500. You would work your way up through the different grits until you get to the highest. I would recommend using water as a lubricant above 1000 and drying the lens as you go to see the changes. The end result is a nice smooth even dull surface, you shouldn't see any sand scratches.

The next step is to prep the pad for compound. In your case using a drill I would spin it up and use a MF towel to lightly remove any loose particles from the pad. I now would wet the pad so that it's slightly damp. I usually add compound to the pad and work it in to avoid sling rather than applying to the lamp. Work in slow overlapping motions (about 50% overlap) moving from left to right or right to left. Have a spray bottle of water to mist the lens between each application and wipe dry to see the results of your work. It might take 2-3 times to get the results you need. I suggest alternating from left to right to an up and down between applications of compound.

Now than you have compounded the lamp next will be polishing. Use the same method for prepping the pad and application. Use a clean MF towel when removing polish. Do not use the same towel as you used with compound.

Once everything is super clear and clean then you can apply the sealant or wax of your choice.

Hope this helps.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 4
      03-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I've heard that some people use EasyOff(oven spray cleaner) to spray on the headlights and buff off. Supposedly it makes for a super easy(off, pun intended!) cleaning of old worn headlights. ?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
tglazed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Read the third to last post in this thread
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1101287
He makes his headlights look amazing and it's what I'm planning on doing in the future
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
mtowle182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

fantastic video by the owner of Ammo NYC
      03-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #6
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Perfect. Thanks guys... I will be using the sanding method. Probably 1000 grit then 1500 - 3000 grit. My lenses are not badly faded.
The final step for protection I may use the jet seal from Chemical guys. That seems to be a good UV protectant that will last a long time.
Thanks again for your help.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglazed View Post
Read the third to last post in this thread
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1101287
He makes his headlights look amazing and it's what I'm planning on doing in the future
Wow.. great thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #8
WPDreyer
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
Nice thread guys, wasn't sure what to do with mine. But fully educated now

Waiting list : F87 M2, lbb, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
RitaClark
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 7S RED

Best 12 Inch Subwoofers Reviews

Best wager on the off chance that you need better than the average sound it to do the mod stickied at the highest point of the discussion.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
RitaClark
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Best Headlight Restoration Kits

I'd search for somebody in your general vicinity that has done the mod to the stock HU and check whether they would do it for you, or discover a companion that knows something about gadgets that could do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
RitaClark
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I like this forum very much. Because it provides some quality things which I need more.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 01:43 AM   #12
jradon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2series

The Sylvania headlight restoration is a good kit also since it comes with UV block clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
Wrex90
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

From my experience this is the only way to get that "like new or better look" for the OCD folks https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...bmw-520-a.html
Appreciate 0