03-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #45
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Keep shopping there are plenty out there. Have you checked on car gurus?
      03-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #46
zardoz
Rep
Drives: Golf gti

There is a AW Canadian car on the bring-a-trailer online auction site. Might be worth your time.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #47
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
There is a AW Canadian car on the bring-a-trailer online auction site. Might be worth your time.
Yeah that one has a bumper repaint but it was done correctly by a real body shop. That might drop the value a bit and make it a good deal. The dealer says they will help with importing etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #48
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yeah that one has a bumper repaint but it was done correctly by a real body shop. That might drop the value a bit and make it a good deal. The dealer says they will help with importing etc.
If it's just a "repaint" due to curbing the front bumper cover on those concrete "parking aids" in parking lots, I wouldn't think it would merit any sort of a price break. When I got my 1M (also imported from Canada) the underside of the bumper cover had been trashed by the former owner in parking spaces, which is not surprising considering how low it is (bad design it shares with many other cars). I could have had it repaired, but instead spent $1200 at a good body shop having the bumper cover replaced with a genuine BMW part, and repainted. It is now in way better shape, probably, than most of the virginal BMW 1M bumper covers out there :-)
      03-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #49
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
If it's just a "repaint" due to curbing the front bumper cover on those concrete "parking aids" in parking lots, I wouldn't think it would merit any sort of a price break. When I got my 1M (also imported from Canada) the underside of the bumper cover had been trashed by the former owner in parking spaces, which is not surprising considering how low it is (bad design it shares with many other cars). I could have had it repaired, but instead spent $1200 at a good body shop having the bumper cover replaced with a genuine BMW part, and repainted. It is now in way better shape, probably, than most of the virginal BMW 1M bumper covers out there :-)
Yes I don't think it merits much but it might turn some collectors off enough to keep the price reasonable. I agree if it's a minor repair that's ok
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #50
persianbmw91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

for those of you who follow this market closely, was there a dip in value immediately after the m2 came out?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #51
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianbmw91 View Post
for those of you who follow this market closely, was there a dip in value immediately after the m2 came out?
No really a dio. It flattened at first then seems to be going up a bit for low mileage cars
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #52
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No really a dio. It flattened at first then seems to be going up a bit for low mileage cars
They are two separate markets, and I don't think they effect each other at all, at this point.
      04-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #53
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

the OP didn't update the thread but there was a happy ending here.

He picked up a Canadian 1M and joins the Canadian ex-pat club in the US.

Appreciate 1
      04-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #54
persianbmw91
Private First Class
Rep

indeed largely thanks to this community, especially nachob. thanks man!
Attached Images

ayao627.50
JP-1M171.00
      04-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #55
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Congratulations and welcome to the club -- it looks like your patience has paid off!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #56
hunterl41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
congrats on another Canadian 1Mport
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #57
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
They are two separate markets, and I don't think they effect each other at all, at this point.
they are two different vehicles in name (although nearly identical in size, shape, form, function...) and they are both occupying the same space in the market (luxury compact RWD 4 seat coupe) with many buyers interested in each...

the 1M is a BMW cult classic.
The M2 is a BMW cult classic in waiting.. that can still be had with a warranty.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      04-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #58
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
they are two different vehicles in name (although nearly identical in size, shape, form, function...) and they are both occupying the same space in the market (luxury compact RWD 4 seat coupe) with many buyers interested in each...

The M2 is a BMW cult classic in waiting.. that can still be had with a warranty.
One is new (with a warranty, as you point out) and one is 7 years old with no warranty.

Like any new car for sale, the overwhelming majority of M2 buyers are looking for a new car (with a warranty) and will own it for only a few years. A high proportion of M2 buyers will need to finance it, and can't afford to finance an equally (or more) expensive car with no warranty, a car where even seemingly minor repairs can cost an arm and both legs . . . . not to mention that a lot of M2s are sold with automatic transmissions, and this was not available for the 1M.
      04-04-2018, 11:43 PM   #59
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

One is new (with a warranty, as you point out) and one is 7 years old with no warranty.

Like any new car for sale, the overwhelming majority of M2 buyers are looking for a new car (with a warranty) and will own it for only a few years. A high proportion of M2 buyers will need to finance it, and can't afford to finance an equally (or more) expensive car with no warranty, a car where even seemingly minor repairs can cost an arm and both legs . . . . not to mention that a lot of M2s are sold with automatic transmissions, and this was not available for the 1M.

If rumors on these forums are true, the M2 as we know it will not exist much more than about 6 months or so. A very few months after that the M2 will become a "used car " proposition , albeit potentially with a warranty.

Already many people are purchasing used M2 as there are 2016s and 2017s already being traded in by the throwaway/lease/car pimp flappy paddle buyers we agree that move to the next available car.

Car collectors with disposable income and enthusiasts with space room for a weekend car have four choices for what are much the same car.

1M used
M2 used - CPO, limited or no warranty
M2 new - with warranty

And very soon..
M2 CP - with warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 12:13 AM   #60
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If rumors on these forums are true, the M2 as we know it will not exist much more than about 6 months or so. A very few months after that the M2 will become a "used car " proposition , albeit potentially with a warranty.

Already many people are purchasing used M2 as there are 2016s and 2017s already being traded in by the throwaway/lease/car pimp flappy paddle buyers we agree that move to the next available car.

Car collectors with disposable income and enthusiasts with space room for a weekend car have four choices for what are much the same car.

1M used
M2 used - CPO, limited or no warranty
M2 new - with warranty

And very soon..
M2 CP - with warranty
The flaw in your logic is that they are "much the same car." They aren't. The 1M is twitchy while the M2 is composed. The 1M is pretty close to being an analog car, the M2 is a digital car full of nannies of one sort or another. the 1M has vastly superior hydraulic steering (as regards driver feedback and road feel) while the M2 has "decent" EPS.

The M2 is noticeably bigger when you drive it; I like the added cargo carrying capacity, but I prefer the form factor of the 1M as a drivers car.

I own both. After only 800 miles in the M2, I already know that my expectations that I would prefer driving the 1M have been confirmed.

The 1M is a throwback to what BMW used to build; the M2 is a somewhat gussied up and disguised version of what BMW has become.

Honestly, I don't see the similarity in the cars, and I absolutely don't see cross shopping of a used/vintage 1M by the same person looking at a used M2.

And in the end this would only become relevant if the current owners of 1Ms were looking to sell them and thus flood the market with them. This isn't happening, and there is no reason for it to happen, and it won't happen. There will be a ton of used M2s on the market, and a handful, at most, of 1Ms on the market, and no reason for a 1M seller to think that he is competing with the mass of used M2s out there.
      04-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #61
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
The flaw in your logic is that they are "much the same car." They aren't. The 1M is twitchy while the M2 is composed. The 1M is pretty close to being an analog car, the M2 is a digital car full of nannies of one sort or another. the 1M has vastly superior hydraulic steering (as regards driver feedback and road feel) while the M2 has "decent" EPS.

The M2 is noticeably bigger when you drive it; I like the added cargo carrying capacity, but I prefer the form factor of the 1M as a drivers car.

I own both. After only 800 miles in the M2, I already know that my expectations that I would prefer driving the 1M have been confirmed.

The 1M is a throwback to what BMW used to build; the M2 is a somewhat gussied up and disguised version of what BMW has become.

Honestly, I don't see the similarity in the cars, and I absolutely don't see cross shopping of a used/vintage 1M by the same person looking at a used M2.

And in the end this would only become relevant if the current owners of 1Ms were looking to sell them and thus flood the market with them. This isn't happening, and there is no reason for it to happen, and it won't happen. There will be a ton of used M2s on the market, and a handful, at most, of 1Ms on the market, and no reason for a 1M seller to think that he is competing with the mass of used M2s out there.
the flaw in your logic is in thinking that in saying " much the same car" you feel that I am saying " Exactly the same car "

the points you have made regarding differences are all true... no one discounts them.. but they are minor differences.. I am by no means saying these differences are not important..

DCT/MT available vs MT only
hydraulic vs electric steering
nominal weight difference
nominal size differences
"twitchy " vs whatever you want to call it handling..
"analog" vs "digital "
no active sound vs active sound etc..

As stated previously the 1M and M2 (all variants) are all four Seat, front engine, 2 Door compact sports sedans with a 3.0 liter inline 6 motor driving the rear wheels. They share FAR more in common than they do differences.. heck.. the entire seats, front and rear including levers for lowering the seats from the trunk are identical. The wheels and tires are the same widths etc etc etc...

by comparison.. an M3 is a 4 door, FIVE SEAT vehicle that is much larger vehicle... a Corvette is TWO seat RWD vehicle that is also longer.... and has a V8 push rod motor.. A 911 is a 6 cyl RWD , rear engine mounted... 2 +2.... and something like an X2 as a crossover is also completely different.. All of those vehicles are MUCH more different than the 1M vs the M2.

The simple fact is.... that if I went down onto a street like an episode of JAYWALKING and had pictures of a 1M, M2, M3, a Corvette and an X2 and asked people to pick the two that are most alike... I don't think a lot of people are going to come up with answers difffernt than the 1M/M2 *because* they are so much alike.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-05-2018 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #62
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
champignon and “@m3 adjuster” (dude, the space in your handle makes it massively difficult to site you...)

With all due respect to forum and cool car experience seniors, may I declare a tie? I do understand and agree with both your points. It is a matter of semantics. Fundamentally you’re both right.

Peace
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #63
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the flaw in your logic is in thinking that in saying " much the same car" you feel that I am saying " Exactly the same car "

the points you have made regarding differences are all true... no one discounts them.. but they are minor differences.. I am by no means saying these differences are not important..

nominal size differences
"analog" vs "digital "

As stated previously the 1M and M2 (all variants) are all four Seat, front engine, 2 Door compact sports sedans with a 3.0 liter inline 6 motor driving the rear wheels. They share FAR more in common than they do differences.. heck.. the entire seats, front and rear including levers for lowering the seats from the trunk are identical. The wheels and tires are the same widths etc etc etc...

by comparison.. an M3 is a 4 door, FIVE SEAT vehicle that is much larger vehicle... a Corvette is TWO seat RWD vehicle that is also longer.... and has a V8 push rod motor.. A 911 is a 6 cyl RWD , rear engine mounted... 2 +2.... and something like an X2 as a crossover is also completely different.. All of those vehicles are MUCH more different than the 1M vs the M2.

The simple fact is.... that if I went down onto a street like an episode of JAYWALKING and had pictures of a 1M, M2, M3, a Corvette and an X2 and asked people to pick the two that are most alike... I don't think a lot of people are going to come up with answers difffernt than the 1M/M2 *because* they are so much alike.
I think the point is that however small these differences may seem to some, they are huge to the sort of person who now, in 2018, would seek out a used, 7 year old 1M, in spite of its age and in spite of the absence of availability and in spite of the absence of a warranty. There aren't very many of them and they ain't makin' any more. Scarcity rules, people always want what they can't have.

The M2 is a production vehicle. There are a lot of them for sale this very instant, and if you are willing to wait a month or two or three, you can get a new one made just the way you want it.

I can tell you personally, that if I had the chance to place an order for a brand new 1M, I'd have done that (to have a second, newer one) rather than buying the M2 I just bought. Even at a higher price. But then, that is just me.
      04-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #64
LukeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Thanks JP
Well said
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #65
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

nominal size differences
"analog" vs "digital "

I think the point is that however small these differences may seem to some, they are huge to the sort of person who now, in 2018, would seek out a used, 7 year old 1M, in spite of its age and in spite of the absence of availability and in spite of the absence of a warranty. There aren't very many of them and they ain't makin' any more. Scarcity rules, people always want what they can't have.

The M2 is a production vehicle. There are a lot of them for sale this very instant, and if you are willing to wait a month or two or three, you can get a new one made just the way you want it.

I can tell you personally, that if I had the chance to place an order for a brand new 1M, I'd have done that (to have a second, newer one) rather than buying the M2 I just bought. Even at a higher price. But then, that is just me.
On that point we certainly agree. When I had the chance(s) to place an order for an M2 the differences are enough that I held off and kept the 1M because I favor it over the M2.

As matter of fact, if I currently owned *neither* car, I would buy a used 1M today ( and I have a sneaking suspicion you would perhaps do the same !) because mine is not a daily driver. I know I could daily drive it and I probably should more but I prefer not to. Mine has 36k miles or less and still feels like new.

As you indicate the M2 is available with a warranty and here i am with TWO cars out of warranty. Clearly a new car warranty isn't my biggest motivator in a purchase.

I don't believe an M2 Competition will move the needle for me. Perhaps bmw will come up with an M2 GTS style car that will knock my socks off.
Appreciate 1
champignon1562.00
      04-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #66
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
champignon and "@m3 adjuster" (dude, the space in your handle makes it massively difficult to site you...)

With all due respect to forum and cool car experience seniors, may I declare a tie? I do understand and agree with both your points. It is a matter of semantics. Fundamentally you're both right.

Peace
Lol thanks for indulging us in our discussion ... it's lot more fun than talking about M mirrors or what wheels might come out on an M2 Competition in the M2 forums.
Appreciate 1
champignon1562.00