BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I know this is gonna sound crazy to most of you but I think by making my car faster I've actually made it less enjoyable for street driving. I miss being able to wind my car out to redline before shifting and feeling the power build to the top of the next gear. I loved doing that in my old E36 M3 and hearing that classic straight 6 sound. Now if I do that even in second gear I'm already over the legal highway speed limit in Canada before shifting into third. Yes it's a rush but I can't really use it on the street. I'm debating on getting a 128i to replace it. That's what I was looking for to begin with but got seduced by the twin turbo power. Has anyone gone from a 135 to a 128 or visa versa ? Any comments ?
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      06-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1eddy View Post
I know this is gonna sound crazy to most of you but I think by making my car faster I've actually made it less enjoyable for street driving. I miss being able to wind my car out to redline before shifting and feeling the power build to the top of the next gear. I loved doing that in my old E36 M3 and hearing that classic straight 6 sound. Now if I do that even in second gear I'm already over the legal highway speed limit in Canada before shifting into third. Yes it's a rush but I can't really use it on the street. I'm debating on getting a 128i to replace it. That's what I was looking for to begin with but got seduced by the twin turbo power. Has anyone gone from a 135 to a 128 or visa versa ? Any comments ?
At least in the 128i you can make it in to third gear.

@ric in rva

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1618368

Last edited by Suprgnat; 06-07-2020 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
fast1eddy269.50
      06-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

This sounds like something a guy would say to his buddy in front of a chick to try and impress her

Just be an adult and break the law.
Appreciate 5
Afam28298.00
Esteban43673.00
ShocknAwe3232.50
      06-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Well I really learned on a 3 speed stick, 6 cylinder Chevy in the mountains {Rogers Pass}. Really, really had to plan your passing. Still with a 6 cylinder [128], 3 more speeds in the tranny, no longer a Chevy. Loads of fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

My respectful suggestion is maybe go back to stock power? But even that is probably too much for the street at 300HP.

A 128i, as most have stated here, is loads of fun on the streets and even more on track. I’m biased though.
Appreciate 2
fast1eddy269.50
gds52886.00
      06-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Yes, I have written about this before for exactly what you mention. Cars are so fast now that in they quickly get to unsafe speeds diminishing the fun. I have an old E46 330i ZHP which is closer to the 128i. Normally aspirated, light reasonably quick. I enjoy rowing through the gears, listening to the engine spool into a crescendo and savoring it all within reasonable speeds. Then I get in the 1M and while probably not as fast as a modified 135i, you can quickly end up at unsafe speeds. I recall recently on a cool morning, warm tires, Mars, Earth and Venus were aligned. Some guy in front of me on a sweeper had been toying around for a bit and as the sweeper straightened out in the freeway, I saw the puff of smoke from his pipe and he floors it. In juvenile reflex I floored it too. All of the car angels at once hit a single harmonious note of power and traction that only happens about once a year in the 1M. The motor surged as if it was making 400 hp, the tires hooked up like they rarely do. The stupid diff that has trouble making its mind 99% of the time was now Captain Sully.... "We are hooking up and launching!" Suddenly I am standing on the brakes as I am about to rear-end some poor WOT pocket rocket. For a split second I was not the Lone Ranger nimbly riding Silver. I was some city slicker hanging on for dear life. So yes, there is a point where enjoyment drops and you need a bigger range.

Another experience I have written about was my first BMW. It was a 2004 325i MT with Sport Package. It came with these really decent Bridgestone Turanzas. They were good all around and I could chirp the tires and break the rear loose on demand. It was great fun and loved it. Of course I had go with wider wheels and Michelin Pilots. What a difference, I could fly around sweepers at great speed with barely a noise but now the exit speed was unsafe. I could no longer break the rears loose with my lowly torque unless I was willing to sacrifice clutch and motor mounts by violently dropping the clutch and even then it was an effort on dry roads. Guess what, it was less enjoyable. I missed the old Turanza, breaking the rear loose and being able to launch. It became difficulty to launch because the Michelin's would hook up and the car would bog down. So again more is not always better.

Our cars are delicious cupcakes meant to be enjoyed not swallowed whole like some competitive hotdog eater.

Best wishes and stay safe out there and enjoy the drive.

PS: My 1M is Canadian also. : )

Last edited by nachob; 06-07-2020 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 4
      06-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I've heard the 128i compared to both the E36 M3 and E46 ZHP, in terms of power:weight and overall character. I haven't driven either of those cars, but I do think the 128i is fantastic to drive. I've owned mine for over 10 years and am not "over" it. I think it's plenty fast to get you in trouble, and honestly don't understand the relentless pursuit of horsepower above all else, which reduces driving to pedal-mashing.
b1aze565.50
bobowar1353479.00
      06-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
My respectful suggestion is maybe go back to stock power? But even that is probably too much for the street at 300HP.

A 128i, as most have stated here, is loads of fun on the streets and even more on track. I’m biased though.
I have considered this. The rest of the car is so well sorted that might be the most sensible option. I'll start by going back to stock downpipes as I don't like the smell from catless anyway. Tune it back to stage 2 instead of 2+. I never felt the car lacked power to begin with , it was more of "while you're in there" when I did my turbos last year. Upgraded the charge pipe , downpipes and intercooler since I had it all out anyway.
I always felt the car was lacking chassis control after coming from my E36 M3. I've got that sorted now with Mperformance suspension , E93 front sway bar , Whiteline RSBF bushings , Dinan rear shock mounts , M3 control arms front and rear. Just added Dinan fixed camber plates and E90 rear hub conversion to help my OZ Ultraleggera wheels fit. Car rides and handles beautifully. Now to dial it back maybe so I can enjoy those mods at speeds that won't land me in jail.
Crappy iPhone pic from test fitting the OZs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #9
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have considered this. The rest of the car is so well sorted that might be the most sensible option. I'll start by going back to stock downpipes as I don't like the smell from catless anyway. Tune it back to stage 2 instead of 2+. I never felt the car lacked power to begin with , it was more of "while you're in there" when I did my turbos last year. Upgraded the charge pipe , downpipes and intercooler since I had it all out anyway.
I always felt the car was lacking chassis control after coming from my E36 M3. I've got that sorted now with Mperformance suspension , E93 front sway bar , Whiteline RSBF bushings , Dinan rear shock mounts , M3 control arms front and rear. Just added Dinan fixed camber plates and E90 rear hub conversion to help my OZ Ultraleggera wheels fit. Car rides and handles beautifully. Now to dial it back maybe so I can enjoy those mods at speeds that won't land me in jail.
Seems like you already know what to do mate! Since my car doesn’t have a lot of engine tunability (N51), I just did what I can w the suspension and enjoyed it from there. An LSD would be awesome to have but is $$$, that might also pique your interest in the future.

Nice wheels, 18in? Suits the car well.
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      06-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #10
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yes, I have written about this before for exactly what you mention. Cars are so fast now that in they quickly get to unsafe speeds diminishing the fun. I have an old E46 330i ZHP which is closer to the 128i. Normally aspirated, light reasonably quick. I enjoy rowing through the gears, listening to the engine spool into a crescendo and savoring it all within reasonable speeds. Then I get in the 1M and while probably not as fast as a modified 135i, you can quickly end up at unsafe speeds. I recall recently on a cool morning, warm tires, Mars, Earth and Venus were aligned. Some guy in front of me on a sweeper had been toying around for a bit and as the sweeper straightened out in the freeway, I saw the puff of smoke from his pipe and he floors it. In juvenile reflex I floored it too. All of the car angels at once hit a single harmonious note of power and traction that only happens about once a year in the 1M. The motor surged as if it was making 400 hp, the tires hooked up like they rarely do. The stupid diff that has trouble making its mind 99% of the time was now Captain Sully.... "We are hooking up and launching!" Suddenly I am standing on the brakes as I am about to rear-end some poor WOT pocket rocket. For a split second I was not the Lone Ranger nimbly riding Silver. I was some city slicker hanging on for dear life. So yes, there is a point where enjoyment drops and you need a bigger range.

Another experience I have written about was my first BMW. It was a 2004 325i MT with Sport Package. It came with these really decent Bridgestone Turanzas. They were good all around and I could chirp the tires and break the rear loose on demand. It was great fun and loved it. Of course I had go with wider wheels and Michelin Pilots. What a difference, I could fly around sweepers at great speed with barely a noise but now the exit speed was unsafe. I could no longer break the rears loose with my lowly torque unless I was willing to sacrifice clutch and motor mounts by violently dropping the clutch and even then it was an effort on dry roads. Guess what, it was less enjoyable. I missed the old Turanza, breaking the rear loose and being able to launch. It became difficulty to launch because the Michelin's would hook up and the car would bog down. So again more is not always better.

Our cars are delicious cupcakes meant to be enjoyed not swallowed whole like some competitive hotdog eater.

Best wishes and stay safe out there and enjoy the drive.

PS: My 1M is Canadian also. : )
You should write for Roundel.
Appreciate 4
nachob2314.00
Tuxedo1409.00
mackeroni326.50
lab_rat394.50
      06-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I've heard the 128i compared to both the E36 M3 and E46 ZHP, in terms of power:weight and overall character. I haven't driven either of those cars, but I do think the 128i is fantastic to drive. I've owned mine for over 10 years and am not "over" it. I think it's plenty fast to get you in trouble, and honestly don't understand the relentless pursuit of horsepower above all else, which reduces driving to pedal-mashing.
Yes the 128i is closer to ZHP in sound and several traits. The one thing that really stands out in the ZHP for me is the steering ratio and feedback. When I drive the 128i back to back, the steering seems slower and dynamic but otherwise, I am a huge fan of the 128i for the reasons we have been discussing...it is a blast at reasonable speeds. You can wind it out and savor it.

I read a review a couple of years ago about the Cayman. I think it was Car and Driver...they were gushing over how amazing and easy to drive in the twisties.....it was so exceptionally good that it straightened out the curves....it was so good it took some fun out of the twisties. I remember once cruising in 5 series BMW going 120 mph it in felt like 85 mph. I was a passenger not driving. I was thinking, here we are risking, jail, bodily injury, losing driver's license and it felt like 85 mph. Then I finally got my 1978 VW Scirocco running and got in it with my son. There were no airbags so it was his first time sitting in the front. As we merged on the freeway and pushed the little 1600cc motor to 65-70 mph, I felt i was taking my life and my son's in my hand. It felt way more trilling to coax the old Scirocco to 70 than going 120 in my friend's 5 series....yeah weird stuff for sure. That's why we are car people....not quite normal... in a good way.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #12
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
Quote:
Seems like you already know what to do mate! Since my car doesn’t have a lot of engine tunability (N51), I just did what I can w the suspension and enjoyed it from there. An LSD would be awesome to have but is $$$, that might also pique your interest in the future.

Nice wheels, 18in? Suits the car well.
Wheels are 18 x 8 and 18 x 9 et 40. Aggressive fit for an E82 but I love the weight saving and look. You're right though , I think I do have my answer , detune my car to a more manageable level for the street. After thinking about all the mods and work I've done on this car it would be very hard to give it up. If I did get a 128i I'd likely go down the same rabbit hole. I love tinkering on my car and I'd probably just end up doing the same thing all over again. Before I detune it will get it dyno'd to check the accuracy of my butt dyno 🏎
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #13
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

I went from a 2010 135i with typical bolt ons and tune. Sold it, drove a cheap civic for a few years and picked up a great enthusiast spec 128i about 9 months ago. I’ve done the 3SI and some additional “daily enjoyability” edits and have brakes/suspension going in next weekend.

This might be confirmation bias but I really think I like the 128i better. I feel more apt to keep it floating in the 4-4500 range and it pulls enough to be fun but it doesn’t encourage me to be hitting triple digits on the on ramps daily.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #14
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wheels are 18 x 8 and 18 x 9 et 40. Aggressive fit for an E82 but I love the weight saving and look. You're right though , I think I do have my answer , detune my car to a more manageable level for the street. After thinking about all the mods and work I've done on this car it would be very hard to give it up. If I did get a 128i I'd likely go down the same rabbit hole. I love tinkering on my car and I'd probably just end up doing the same thing all over again. Before I detune it will get it dyno'd to check the accuracy of my butt dyno 🏎
Good to hear you’ve figured it out. Sometimes, as car guys we all get so into modding a car that we forget to enjoy the journey towards whatever goal it is that we have for it. Or, we get into some sort of rut, where you’ve achieved what you want and then ask the question, “what now?” I’m kind of like that in a way. Aside from the aforementioned LSD and maybe a new set of track wheels, I’m pretty much happy where my car sits. I just need to put those mods to work at the track when I have the time. But I have this very bad habit of always looking online for deals on Cayman Rs and GT4s which is THE dream car. My car is even listed here and I even updated it recently. Would I want to give it up? Yes, but only for those Porsches. But then again, when I drive my 128i, I have second thoughts right away!

Paraphrasing what nachob said, we car guys are not quite normal sometimes, but in a good way. No one will get it, unless you’re one. Whatever you plan to do w your car, enjoy it fully in good health!

Cheers mate!
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      06-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I think you need to take off those mud flaps and give them to me. You know they're good for at least 100 HP.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 01:37 AM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I think you need to take off those mud flaps and give them to me. You know they're good for at least 100 HP.
100 hp, huh? Those must be the special edition turbocharged mud flaps. The regular ones are good for 10 hp IIRC.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      06-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #17
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

I went from a 123D to a 135i no regrets but to each their own.

Personally i think your kinda nuts downgrading.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2707.00
      06-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #18
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying. I came upon an E90 M3 a few weeks ago and we both hit an open section of road with some long sweeping turns and limited access. Neither one of us was racing, but there was a little competition involved. I dropped down to third from 55 and by the end I was at the top of fourth, and he never passed me. Maybe I was more familiar with the road or maybe my car's balance just inspired me to go a little deeper. Regardless, in that moment I was having more fun with my relatively paltry 240-ish HP. I really can't imagine how extra power would make my car any more fun. If anything I would have to back off the throttle and feel I was somehow missing out. The horsepower wars have become ridiculous.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #19
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Guess all those guys enjoying their GT2’s, ZR1’s and Aventadors on the street are really nuts. If you really feel that way about a lowly 300hp you definitely should move to something more pedestrian.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
low1352213.00
      06-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #20
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Guess all those guys enjoying their GT2's, ZR1's and Aventadors on the street are really nuts. If you really feel that way about a lowly 300hp you definitely should move to something more pedestrian.
Funny you should say that , on my way home I passed a Ferrari 458 in rush hour traffic. It was clearly having a tough time going that slow. The power doesn't scare me and is not something I can't handle , it's just something I have no way of accessing on a regular basis. Slow car fast or fast car slow. I think most enthusiast drivers would prefer the former. My car is not stock and has far more than the stock 300. My butt dyno says 400+ but I've never had the car dynod.

Also a lot depends on the available roads. There are virtually no good driving roads around here.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #21
Kristopher
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Funny you should say that , on my way home I passed a Ferrari 458 in rush hour traffic. It was clearly having a tough time going that slow. The power doesn't scare me and is not something I can't handle , it's just something I have no way of accessing on a regular basis. Slow car fast or fast car slow. I think most enthusiast drivers would prefer the former. My car is not stock and has far more than the stock 300. My butt dyno says 400+ but I've never had the car dynod.

Also a lot depends on the available roads. There are virtually no good driving roads around here.
This thread is hitting all to close to home. I recently traded my 2003 525iT wagon for my current 135i because I wanted something sportier/funner to drive. Yesterday after not driving all of lock down (about 2 months) I decided to go for a drive on the local canyon road and just my luck... I got a speeding ticket going 94 on a 55
Appreciate 2
      06-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #22
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:

A 458 is as easily driven in traffic as a 135 and everyone hates rush hour traffic and has a tough time of it. I always look like I’m having a tough go at it because it sucks. I live in NY so it sucks that much more.

Saying you can’t access the power on a regular basis is a bit of a head scratcher, unless one spends the majority of his time on a race track. Most of us can’t get that thrill whenever we want. It’s those choice times when we can get to the track often or carefully choose our moments where and when we can stretch out it’s legs make it worth it. I can’t think of a person alive when given the choice of a Ferrari 458 or a 128 for the day of driving some nice winding roads at normal speeds that anyone would take the 128. I wouldn’t believe for a second.

My 135 makes about 380 and my Corvette over 600. Me, I prefer to drive fast cars faster. Some classic cars that aren’t tarmac burners can be nice to tool around in but I’ll always return to more power as do most, at least people I know. To each his own.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Afam28298.00