BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #89
NoMetalAlchemist
Rep
Drives: TitanSilber E46 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I am 20 and what I want is a very fast and light NA car. I would not want BMW to put the S54 because it is even heavier than the S65, and the 1 Series would become even more nose-heavy. But there are very few. I am considering the new Toyota FT-86 with MT, RWD and NA 2.0l Flat 4.
I'm not saying I want the S54 Block, but the N55 tuned out to 8000 red and 350hp is what I'm after. I have not driven a 1-series, but the next time I take my E46 in for service I will be driving one only to confirm my next vehicle is an ///M 1-series. I realize they have an understeering problem, and they weigh 300lbs less than a 3 series but, BMW usually has a 50/50 weight ratio thats <5% off. However, for the fact that it probably costs more to tune an engine than upgrade the turbos and remap the ECU, plus a twin-scroll turbo is lighter than .5L of solid aluminum, I really don't care what this car has as long as its not horribly over-priced. The M5 sedan is 175% more expensive than the 535i sedan. the m3 sedan is 140% more expensive han the 335i sedan. The difference is roughly a 45% ratio decline. so assuming the trend is continued, the price of an ///M 1-series is gonna be roughly 25% more than a 135i coupe. That would make the car $44,500. For such a small car, thats a decent price, but if they make it anymore expensive with the poor amount of standard options, the car won't be worth it. Anyway, my point is, the car can turn out way overpriced and super heavy to have every single feature we want on it.

I've heard quad exhaust, NA, 19" rims, and several other weight increasing features that all make the car more expensive. All these things ruin BMW's goal of making an entry level ///M Ultimate Driving Machine that is cheap, sporty, and attracts new buyers. Not only that, BMW has to upgrade some parts like the differential, brakes, and struts which all add weight.

For me personally, As long as the car is a BMW ///M that is cheap, looks like a racecar and is luxurious, goes fast with amazing handling, and sounds great, plus gets people complementing my car, IDC what features it has. People have been modding their cars since day one, and although its more money, do what you want with it and leave the people who design the cars we love to do their job and perfect it.

Read the letters section of the May 2010 Roundel. Page 9, "Letters As A Whining Forum." It discusses why people shouldn't complain about what BMW does to their cars.

lol
BMW S1000RR
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #90
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMetalAlchemist View Post
I'm not saying I want the S54 Block, but the N55 tuned out to 8000 red and 350hp is what I'm after. I have not driven a 1-series, but the next time I take my E46 in for service I will be driving one only to confirm my next vehicle is an ///M 1-series. I realize they have an understeering problem, and they weigh 300lbs less than a 3 series but, BMW usually has a 50/50 weight ratio thats <5% off. However, for the fact that it probably costs more to tune an engine than upgrade the turbos and remap the ECU, plus a twin-scroll turbo is lighter than .5L of solid aluminum, I really don't care what this car has as long as its not horribly over-priced. The M5 sedan is 175% more expensive than the 535i sedan. the m3 sedan is 140% more expensive han the 335i sedan. The difference is roughly a 45% ratio decline. so assuming the trend is continued, the price of an ///M 1-series is gonna be roughly 25% more than a 135i coupe. That would make the car $44,500. For such a small car, thats a decent price, but if they make it anymore expensive with the poor amount of standard options, the car won't be worth it. Anyway, my point is, the car can turn out way overpriced and super heavy to have every single feature we want on it.

I've heard quad exhaust, NA, 19" rims, and several other weight increasing features that all make the car more expensive. All these things ruin BMW's goal of making an entry level ///M Ultimate Driving Machine that is cheap, sporty, and attracts new buyers. Not only that, BMW has to upgrade some parts like the differential, brakes, and struts which all add weight.

For me personally, As long as the car is a BMW ///M that is cheap, looks like a racecar and is luxurious, goes fast with amazing handling, and sounds great, plus gets people complementing my car, IDC what features it has. People have been modding their cars since day one, and although its more money, do what you want with it and leave the people who design the cars we love to do their job and perfect it.

Read the letters section of the May 2010 Roundel. Page 9, "Letters As A Whining Forum." It discusses why people shouldn't complain about what BMW does to their cars.

lol
I really hope they won't but 19s on as it is pointless apart from appearance.

I can live with a quad though but I would just have to swap out to a Akrapovic Ti one.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #91
NoMetalAlchemist
Rep
Drives: TitanSilber E46 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I really hope they won't but 19s on as it is pointless apart from appearance.

I can live with a quad though but I would just have to swap out to a Akrapovic Ti one.
Scott said we'd be getting 18" rims. As for quads, IDRC
BMW S1000RR
Appreciate 0