BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO1MC

Newbie Valencia Orange owner

Hi all, newbie VO 1M Coupe owner here

The car was delivered a coupe of days ago at 5.30am. Just starting to get used to it, but it'll need to be good as it's going to stand comparison with my E46 M3 CSL, a Gen 1 997 GT3 and a Mk 1 996 GT3 . . . .

Initial impressions are good (will report back when I've got some more miles under my belt)

However, I really can't get comfortable in the seats. This is a major problem as if I'm not in the correct position I know I won't gel with the car. I have identical seats in my 335D sport saloon DD (aside from the airbags)

In my 335D they are some of the most comfortable seats I've sat in (65K miles in 3 years) The problem doesn't lie with the seats however, rather in the way they're mounted in the car. In short they're mounted too high.

I've tried numerous position changes, high, low, raked back, base flat, base tilted etc etc. Nothing works as they seem to be mounted about 20-30mm too high. (I don't like sitting "on" cars, I only feel comfortable when I'm sitting "in" them, if that makes sense ?

I noted that there is another thread running with the OP saying the seats are causing him back pain. This isn't a pain issue for me, it's purely a driving dynamics thing.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669937

So the big (and I fear expensive) question is this : Do the BMW Performance/Recaro Sportster CS seats mount lower in the car ?

If there are any M1 Coupe owners out there that have fitted the BMW Performance seats or gone the Recaro Sportster CS route (independantly of the BMW network) could I impose on you and ask if I may try your seats before I pull the trigger on buying a pair ?

I live in the West Midlands and will travel wherever needed for a trial.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dirk Van Driver; 04-08-2012 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

I've got Performance seats in mine that are set on the highest setting of two and in this position they are higher than the standard seats. IMO I thought the standard seats were set really low and because of this I need to change the Performance seats to the lower setting. Have been told that on the lower setting they are a perfect.

Last edited by Jezzer; 04-08-2012 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Jezzer,

I looked at the images of your seats ( they look superb btw) and thought they looked just as high as the standard items.
How much does lowering them from the high to the low setting drop them ? 20mm or more ?

I seem to recall you were waiting for bolts to enable you to lower the seats ? Any idea when you'll have them lowered ?

I've got a run down to South of France in a month, if I'm going to get the Performance seats (or order non-BMW Recaro Sportster CS's and their bases independantly) I'm going to have to do so in the next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

The new bolts have arrived but won't have time until week after next to change the height. I would say 20-30 mm, I'll measure the difference in the holes tomorrow and report back the exact measurement
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

You have power seats? If you liked the seats from your 335d it could be an option to order your 1M with manual seats, cause they can go exactly 20-30 mm. lower than the power seats. Since, you can't do that anymore not very helpful advice I know. I am sure that the Performance seats will solve your problem alltogether plus they look so gorgeous.

Congratulations for 1M, once you get comfy in your seats give us some good comparison, especially with the M3 CSL.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
You have power seats? If you liked the seats from your 335d it could be an option to order your 1M with manual seats, cause they can go exactly 20-30 mm. lower than the power seats. Since, you can't do that anymore not very helpful advice I know. I am sure that the Performance seats will solve your problem alltogether plus they look so gorgeous.

Congratulations for 1M, once you get comfy in your seats give us some good comparison, especially with the M3 CSL.
Hi Oz, the seats in both my cars are the manual items. Though having compared them, it appears they use differing mounts.

Edit, have just watched Advevos video showing his lap of the @ The 'Ring. From there I went to his thread detailing the build on his car. His first comment (with regards to the standard seats) :

"This is my first mod. I found the seats to high up and does not give good side support".

This man talks sense ! His comments on dampers and spring rates are wise too . . . .

Comparisons with the CSL ? I'll need some more (comfortable) seat time in the 1M before giving my views. If nothing else, it's quick

Last edited by Dirk Van Driver; 04-08-2012 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Updated information
Appreciate 0