BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-26-2021, 04:39 AM   #1
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 e46 coupe

I already have a silicon intake hose and Performance Exhaust installed. I have recently purchased a North American Performance Intake and wonder if I should just install it with what remains of my stock airbox (minus the carbon filter) or switch to a Euro airbox as well. Aside from the convenience factor, is there any other reason with everything else I'll have on the intake side?

Is the Euro box even compatible with the the NA Performance Intake or does it require the Euro Performance Intake?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankertoad View Post
I already have a silicon intake hose and Performance Exhaust installed. I have recently purchased a North American Performance Intake and wonder if I should just install it with what remains of my stock airbox (minus the carbon filter) or switch to a Euro airbox as well. Aside from the convenience factor, is there any other reason with everything else I'll have on the intake side?

Is the Euro box even compatible with the the NA Performance Intake or does it require the Euro Performance Intake?
I believe there is a difference between the EUro and NA performance intake, someone else was trying this a while back and was having trouble getting parts to fit. If you dig through the search a bit you can probably find that thread - I seem to recall it had to do with the shape of the inlet tube from the front of the car to the airbox.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
I believe there is a difference between the EUro and NA performance intake, someone else was trying this a while back and was having trouble getting parts to fit. If you dig through the search a bit you can probably find that thread - I seem to recall it had to do with the shape of the inlet tube from the front of the car to the airbox.
I installed a Euro airbox on my E90 and the stock intake tube fits it perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:

The Euro airbox requires the Euro PI. The parts for the NAPI do not fit the Euro box.

The NAPI uses the half of the stock air cleaner box that attaches to the throttle body and replaces the other half of the airbox with new walls and cover. It also replaces the suction hood, which is the important part.

The EPI only replaces the airbox cover so it can use the improved suction hood.

The Euro airbox cover does not fit on the NA airbox. The bolt pattern is different.

Suction hood:
tsk941522.00
wdb4732.00
b1aze565.50
asbrr544.50
      07-27-2021, 02:41 AM   #5
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 e46 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Quote:

The Euro airbox requires the Euro PI. The parts for the NAPI do not fit the Euro box.

The NAPI uses the half of the stock air cleaner box that attaches to the throttle body and replaces the other half of the airbox with new walls and cover. It also replaces the suction hood, which is the important part.

The EPI only replaces the airbox cover so it can use the improved suction hood.

The Euro airbox cover does not fit on the NA airbox. The bolt pattern is different.

Suction hood:
Thanks. I now know my path forward.
Appreciate 0