BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Best Bike Rack for 135 coupe

I used to have a very cheap 2-bike trunk mounted rack and it scratched up the top of my trunk horribly. In fact, in one spot the metal of the rack was able to touch the trunk top and scratched of the paint all the way down to the metal. Anyways, I am getting the whole back of the 1 fixed up (including painting the bumper, trunk top and new middle brake light that cracked up). It's gonna cost me $1700 .

I want to get a new, better rack, but I don't want to spend $650 for the BMW bumper mounted one (I'm sure its even more with installation). I'm not so sure about the roof mounted ones either. How do you get your bike up there without scratching the car?? They also don't seem to be very aerodynamic. I'm thinking of getting a Thule trunk mounted rack.

I mainly carry 2 fairly heavy hybrid bikes. I'm think on going on a long road trip with them this summer so I need something sturdy and high quality, but mostly will not destroy the back of my car again.

Any reccommendations?
      07-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
CDN_135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I have BMW roof rails and one bike rack. You would just need to get a second bike rack and your set. Pm me if your interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
BBursey
Work hard, play harder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I know it's expensive, but if I was going to get a bike rack for my 1er, I'd have the BMW bumper mounted rack in a second. It's about the same cost as a hitch + hitch-mount rack, but without the weight and clearance issues. A roof rack for a road bike (or lighter mountain bike) wouldn't be too bad for the 1er given how low the roof is, and what I believe it an assist mechanism built into the BMW rack, but I don't know how heavy or awkward your hybrid bikes are.

Fortunately, we have a wagon for winter and summer sports activities that require loading skis and / or bikes on the car. Our roof mount racks on the Audi S4 Avant are a little tall for my wife (5'6"), but fine for me (5'9").

Good luck!

Cheers,
Bryan
2011 135i M Sport | COBB V3 AP Stage 1+ | ER FMIC and CP | BMS OCC | Dinan Stage 3 Suspension | Dinan High Performance Bushing Kit | M3 Wishbones | Modified CDV | Clutch Stop | APEX EC-7 Wheels w/ Michelin PSS 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires | Maddad Street Series Exhaust | BMW Performance Kidney Grills | LCI Blacklines | Armrest Delete | Spoiler Delete | 28% Tint
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
my6er
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Cashmere Convertible

1 series bike rack

I think you should check out the Saris bones 3 trunk mounted bike rack. I have a 1 convertible and it has worked great so far. Usually run 2 bikes, but can hold the occasional third.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

Picked up a hitch + thule rack from amazon for around 350. I mountain bike and didnt like the idea of putting muddy bikes on my roof. The bikes are like 2 feet behind the car now. The only thing I would do differently is get the better thule rack for the back because the one I have damaged the paint on my bike.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

well if you would have gotten the BMW one originally then you wouldn't have to spend all that $$ repainting your trunk.

just make sure whatever one you get doesn't rub
      07-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

I have the BMW roof rails and bike rack and couldn't be happier. Getting the bike up there is just a matter of picking it up and setting it there. Sounds a lot more intimidating than it really is unless you can't lift your bike at all. You would have to be really careless to scratch the car. I regularly carry two bikes up there no problem.

The most important thing to me was that whatever solution didn't harm my car in anyway and this one meets that requirement.

Also, it may not be very aerodynamic, but it works well. The only thing I change with my driving is I slow down for corners, and I can't go faster than 80 MPH (I think that's what the manual said.)

I recommend you get the BMW roof rails and bike rack.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6er View Post
I think you should check out the Saris bones 3 trunk mounted bike rack.
I'll second that. Saris Bones is an extremely solid carrier. Google the reviews
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Go with the OEM base rack with Thule add on you would be fine with the hybrid bikes you got there, hated the trunk mount rack period.
Attached Images

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

BMW's are great for allowing the bolt in roof racks that don't touch the paint at. I used one for 12 years on my old M Coupe and it was great. I've never used it on the 1er as I can fit my bikes inside and generally just pester my friends. But the roof rack is 1,537x better than any trunk rack (had a Bones, it scratched the paint horribly, even with clean microfiber towels wrapped around the stupid rubber feet).

I'd say 90% Thule roof rack (more aero and sits lower than the OE rack which is also made by Thule) and 10% a hitch rack like the 1up, since you mentioned you'll be using heavier hybrids and picking a bike up to the roof after a long ride can be less than fun.

If you go with the roof rack, I'd highly recommend Rocky Mount trays, they come in goofy colors, cost less than Yakima or Thule trays and have a better lock mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I would go with the roof rack.

I am not a fan of bumper or rear mount racks. The vehicle directs dust, dirt and mud to your stuff on the rear mount rack then you have a mess. Also on some rear mount racks the bikes can move around and rub on each other and I have even seen where the pedals rubbed on the cars paint.

A little cost up front for a good quality carrier setup will offset the cost of any repair due to cutting corners.
      07-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
I would go with the roof rack.

I am not a fan of bumper or rear mount racks. The vehicle directs dust, dirt and mud to your stuff on the rear mount rack then you have a mess. Also on some rear mount racks the bikes can move around and rub on each other and I have even seen where the pedals rubbed on the cars paint.

A little cost up front for a good quality carrier setup will offset the cost of any repair due to cutting corners.
A good hitch rack like the 1up is actually more expensive and safer than a roof rack. If you're going to be using it a lot, many times a week, a hitch would make more sense than a roof rack, and they have the added advantage of not being as much of a risk when using parking garages, drive thrus or your own garage. I can keep a bike on my hitch rack (not on the 1er) and still pull into my garage, or my parking garage at work. Something I couldn't do with my roof rack.

Both have their pros and cons (I'm excluding sit-on type racks, which are always bad in my opinion) but hitch racks win more than they lose to roof racks. Having traveled thousands of miles with both roof racks and hitch racks, your argument about debris getting on hitch racks is funny, as bikes on a roof rack are always plastered in bugs and rock chips while bikes on hitch racks tend to be nearly clean. Good hitch racks also have the advantage of not requiring a front wheel to be removed, which is nice with my fixed gear and with my mtb which has a 15mm thru axle.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I would go with a hitch mount rack because I hate it when I see somebody forget they have bikes on top and try to park in a garage and because I think it holds the bikes more safely away from the car. If you can remember your added height, every time, the roof mounted racks actually wiggle less when I see them on the highway.

If you go for the hitch, you will spend about $150 for the hitch:

http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-1...84-p-1989.html

And then another roughly $200-400 on the rack. If you ever want to haul more than 2 bikes, this type seems best:

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...-1.25-inch.asp

These seem to wiggle around a lot when I see them moving. I would think hard about a platform, like the BMW rack. Here is an example:

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...tch-1-inch.asp

As you can see, if you go with a high end platform style, you are approaching the BMW rack price. There is also a cheaper platform product.

If you get the BMW product with the vehicle, I think they give you plugs for the holes in the bumper that are color matched. If you buy it afterward, I think the plugs are black. I don't know if that would bother you.

I also like to have a hitch on at least one of my vehicles. I tow a boat and a utility trailer and occasionally a U-haul trailer. They are handy.

Jim
      07-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have this rack.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-990XT-Do...hule+bike+rack

The frame damage was due to the arm sheath splitting and chipping my paint when the bike was bouncing around while I was driving. This is the one I would get now.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-916XTR-P...hule+bike+rack

I agree with some of what was said earlier. I wouldnt do a roof rack I have a garage and back my car in then pull the bike + carrier out of the hitch chain it down and I am good. It takes me about 5 minutes to pull it off and is just as easy to put on. I don't ever drive with the rack attached to the car unless I am carrying a bike.

pics hopefully:[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  IMG_2733_2.jpg
Views: 5742
Size:  193.3 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Note: The Bike is no where near the car I can stand between the car and the bike comfortably there is no chance of scratching my car at all with this setup. I am only about 5'7" and doubt I would easily be able to lift the bike at the end of my typical rides without scratching the car. Hope this helps some.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Come on people you drive a BMW not a truck spend the money and get it done right.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
A good hitch rack like the 1up is actually more expensive and safer than a roof rack. If you're going to be using it a lot, many times a week, a hitch would make more sense than a roof rack, and they have the added advantage of not being as much of a risk when using parking garages, drive thrus or your own garage. I can keep a bike on my hitch rack (not on the 1er) and still pull into my garage, or my parking garage at work. Something I couldn't do with my roof rack.

Both have their pros and cons (I'm excluding sit-on type racks, which are always bad in my opinion) but hitch racks win more than they lose to roof racks. Having traveled thousands of miles with both roof racks and hitch racks, your argument about debris getting on hitch racks is funny, as bikes on a roof rack are always plastered in bugs and rock chips while bikes on hitch racks tend to be nearly clean. Good hitch racks also have the advantage of not requiring a front wheel to be removed, which is nice with my fixed gear and with my mtb which has a 15mm thru axle.
I guess you may know more than me about hauling stuff on your BMW. I have to admit I have never hauled anything outside of a BMW, I have other vehicles for that purpose. I just remember when we had a Dodge Durango and a rear hitch mount Bike carrier, when we would get to our cabin and there was a rain or go down a dusty road the bikes would be filthy and just removing from the vehicle made a mess. People I know that carry their bikes to our cabin on the roof do not have the messy issue. Perhaps a few bugs but they do not get you dirty. And the fact that most rear bike carriers allow the bikes to move around causing scratches to the bikes and vehicle causing one person here $1700. I guess my point is the bikes on the top do not come close to being in contact with anything else. I have heard at least two stories here where people have damage from rear bike carriers and no complaints of damage from roof top carriers.
      07-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Fair point, but the 1up rack I'm talking about, like a Kuat or other quality hitch rack isn't really the same thing as the cheap stuff. I've always run a roof rack on my cars, but prefer my friends hitch racks.

I've also scratched up bikes on roof racks, trying to fit bikes in tightly will always allow for that, but a good hitch rack has fixed spacing. Not saying it will accommodate two Pugsleys with 30" wide bars necessarily, but they're better than a crowded roof rack. Each solution has it's compromises though. If you are running sag and need ten bikes on one car, roof all the way, as hitch racks really get stupidly long with more than four bikes at once.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
I guess you may know more than me about hauling stuff on your BMW. I have to admit I have never hauled anything outside of a BMW, I have other vehicles for that purpose. I just remember when we had a Dodge Durango and a rear hitch mount Bike carrier, when we would get to our cabin and there was a rain or go down a dusty road the bikes would be filthy and just removing from the vehicle made a mess. People I know that carry their bikes to our cabin on the roof do not have the messy issue. Perhaps a few bugs but they do not get you dirty. And the fact that most rear bike carriers allow the bikes to move around causing scratches to the bikes and vehicle causing one person here $1700. I guess my point is the bikes on the top do not come close to being in contact with anything else. I have heard at least two stories here where people have damage from rear bike carriers and no complaints of damage from roof top carriers.
My bike doesnt get very dirty hanging off of the back. If you are driving down a road where you will kick up alot of dust it sure will but not driving on paved roads. Plus if you are riding your bike on said dirt roads your bike will acumulate dirt and mud then you will put that bike on the roof of your car and have that dirt and mud drop directly on your paint/sunroof. If it rains it will pour muddy water all over your roof and get in your drain areas. I would rather wash down my bike than have to do a paint correction on my roof.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactorX81 View Post
I would rather wash down my bike than have to do a paint correction on my roof.

Hehe, ask me about chain grease, a leaking hydraulic line and tons of mud and the roof of my daily driver. Then there's the time I didn't get it fully clamped into the tray and it fell over and wallowed around on the roof, making some neat drawings with the pedal on the roof. At least it didn't fall off completely (the rear wheel strap kept it on), something I have seen happen with just about every type of rack out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Hehe, ask me about chain grease, a leaking hydraulic line and tons of mud and the roof of my daily driver. Then there's the time I didn't get it fully clamped into the tray and it fell over and wallowed around on the roof, making some neat drawings with the pedal on the roof. At least it didn't fall off completely (the rear wheel strap kept it on), something I have seen happen with just about every type of rack out there.
ouch I was seriously scared of stuff like that I would rather have my bike fall off and drag behind my car by a steel cable than suffer that kind of damage to the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #21
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactorX81 View Post
ouch I was seriously scared of stuff like that I would rather have my bike fall off and drag behind my car by a steel cable than suffer that kind of damage to the car.
Done that too. Had a bike launch off of a spare tire rack on a Wrangler, do a couple of cartwheels and bounce over a car, but it didn't suffer anything worse than some severely out of true wheels and a scuffed saddle.

Dragged the bike behind a hatch mounted rack, it ground down the headset and forward controls, but not much else.

Drove into an old work parking garage with a bike on the roof, checked the clearance, had plenty. Drove up to the next floor, kept hearing a strange noise, realized the second floor of the garage didn't have the same clearance and I'd removed the leather from my saddle, fortunately nothing else.

I have a friend with a big predator van and he's got a rack on the front. We had his brand new, self made frame on the front, along with one of my custom made (by someone else) bikes on it and he came about three inches from rear ending a guy in front of us.

No method of transporting bikes is fool proof, I think I've tried them all and like aspects of both roof and hitch racks. I despise clip on racks for the paint damage and insecure mounting and many cheap racks are cheap for a reason. I still prefer to transport a single bike inside the car, with a blanket over it if you're going to be in public parking. Plus if you get it wet or muddy on your ride, the blanket will help protect the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #22
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

On previous cars I've had both a roof mounted Yakima setup (cost ~$500) and on another I installed a hitch (smallest one they made) and a Thule hitch-mounted bike rack (total cost probably less than $500).

Were I to get another I would go with the hitch-mounted deal or the $650 BMW bumper-mounted one.

The roof one worked ok until I forgot about it and tried to pull into the garage. Ended up damaging the bike, the rack, the car (luckily pretty old by then) and the house. I have a mountain bike and I was able to put it on the roof without to much trouble. My wife could never do it though. The rack did leave marks on the roof but I guess BMW has a better setup to prevent that.

The hitch mounted rack is much easier to take on and off the car and also put the bikes on it. I never noticed my bike getting all that dirty (though its a mountain bike and it gets dirty all the time) but I suppose in the rain it might. You just have to remember to fasten the bikes down! A friend of mine placed his bike on the hitch-mounted rack but forgot to latch it down. He gets on the highway and the bike comes flying off. Damaged the bike and could have hurt injured other drivers (luckily it didn't).

I remember my sister had a trunk-mounted rack and it scractched the hell out of the car. They might be better now but its an inelegant if inexpensive soultion.

IMO get a hitch installed and attach a rack to it. Seeing as I have a convertible that would be my only choice but I would do it anyway. Also a hitch-mounted rack is easier to use on different vehicles (all you need is a hitch).