BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #287
Tiisomeday
Rep
Drives:

How did the publicity of the M3 CSL compare to this?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #288
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The view from Bankok - BMW CONCEPT 1 SERIES / tii

BMW CONCEPT 1 SERIES / tii
Baby M3

BMW's latest concept car hopes to revive the famous 'tii' badge and could point to a driver-focused 1-series slated for production late next year

Aerodynamic add-ons help generate more downforce.

White rev-counter evokes motorsport spirit. Bucket seats have side airbags in them.

Is this the new "tii"?

Not exactly, despite that suggestive badge. According to BMW, this concept car is an interpretation of the brand's classic values with a focus on motorsport. Take a look at all those details in the pictures: aerodynamic enhancements, carbon-fibre bonnet, white rev-counter and bucket seats - with side airbags integrated into them to make the car street-legal.

Ah, a lightweight version of the 1-series Coupe'...

Hmm... you could say so, but basing on which One? At the moment, there aren't any special high-performance 1-series model available yet. The most powerful version is the 135i equipped with a 306hp twin-turbo 3.0-litre inline-six which is still considered a commoner in the BMW family. You know, lightweight spin-offs are usually reserved for cars with the evocative M badge - except for 3.0 CSL of yore.

You mean BMW is planning an M1?

That's tricky. First, the modern-day M1 doesn't really fit into the bill as that name belonged to the gull-winged supercar of yore. Second, what engine can sit above the 135i? The M3's 4.0-litre V8? Naw. That's the problem: the 135i is already a fast One.

Let's see... what about a more focused One?

Now that sounds logical. Remember, BMW wants to evoke memories of the "tii". So outright power is not exactly the same here. And couple BMW's comment about reviving classic values of the brand, we could be looking at an original M3 that came with four-cylinder power, compact body and driving agility. Today's M3 has double the amount of cylinders and far more bulk than the M3 of before.

You mean a lightweight 120i? You're not kiddin'...

At one time, BMW had sworn never to use turbocharging in their petrol engines. And look what there is now: the twin-turbo 3.0 that will eventually follow into all model line-ups ranging from the 1- to 7-series and X1 to X6. Turbocharging is essential to meet future emission requirements. That said, you could expect a turbocharged version of the brand's 2.0-litre direct-injection four-cylinder heads currently used on the 120i and 320i.

So that's what is under the bonnet of this concept car...

We really don't know. During the car's world debut in Tokyo last month, BMW was mum on what engine is lurking under the hood. So, it's just a wild guess, although such a blown four-pot really fits the "tii" bill, we think. Get back to the basics by going for light weight and agility. Don't even rule out an enhanced 123d which is equipped with an all-new twin-turbo four-cylinder motor.

You know what? I'm beginning to like this idea...

You're not alone. There are now several carmakers that have re-aligned their guns towards small, light and fun cars. Also at the Tokyo Motor Show was the Honda CR-Z concept car which is most likely to be a spin-off from the Civic model range when it is made in two years time. Future sports cars need to be light to survive CO2 legislation. And BMW, for one, is showing that with the "tii".

Four 1s

The BMW 1-series has once again expanded, the latest being the cabriolet body silhouette. Expect any to cost between B2.5 to B5m in Thailand in CBU form.

- Convertible
The just-announced Convertible gets a classic soft-top and reinforced body to yield an optimum level of handling. It could be for those finding the CC folding hard-top 3-series too bulky.

- Coupe'
This 1-series is at its best in 135i form: 306hp twin-turbo 3.0-litre inline-six to give a performance nearing an M3, but at half the price, at some B5m. Thai sales could be considered.

- 3dr hatch
More appealing to the Europeans than Asians who tend to go for the fashionable Mini models instead. New 123d equipped with all-new 2.0-litre twin-turbo diesel could boost sales prospects.

- 5dr hatch
Came to Thailand but wasn't a true success due to the presence of the equally priced Thai-made 3-series. In 120i form, it cost B2.8m - the same as 320i. Like 3dr, the 5dr could showcase the new crucial diesel unit.

ONE LAST THING :

BMW confirmed earlier this year that an X1 will be built. But expect the baby SUV to look more different than these four, despite sharing the same mechanicals.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:10 AM   #289
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Gratuitous tii Concept Reveal Photo

Gratuitous tii Concept Reveal Photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #290
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by investor27 View Post
Thanks for the post, Mike. Unfortunately, a 4 cylinder car (turbo or not) is not going to be released here in the US. BMW is adamant that they will not be bringing over a 4 cylinder car for the US market.

I was hoping for the 120D or the 123D to get here, but BMW seems to belief that there are no interests for 4 badger cars here in the US market. And that's a shame.
This is what is funny. BMW only race the 2lt in the world touring car racing. They sell the car here in limited numbers once only of each new series change.

I have the new 118 Diesel and what a fun car with good power. The first service is 30,000ks. BMW have great engines. This car is a interim car until my special ordered diesel convertible arrives late next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #291
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

tii Concept News ?

Perhaps not the most authortative source of automobile news, The Sun reports:

BMW will be expanding the 1 Series range with a convertible, below left, early next year.

They also promise to return to their small-car roots with a high-performance version.

The gorgeous tii concept, below right, will be a new entry-level M-version for younger buyers who can’t afford BMW's M3 or M5. Its design was inspired by the BMW 2002 tii of the 1970s.

It’s due for production, with petrol and diesel versions, late 2008, at about £25,000. Clearly these are 1s to watch.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #292
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

a tii diesel? i'd be surprised. although the idea starts to sound neat the more you mull it over. 400 lbft and even BETTER fuel economy, ha, thats awesome

but that got me thinking.. what about a twin turbo on the petrol 4 powerplant thats rumored to go in this thing? they did it on the 123d..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 04:09 AM   #293
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo View Post
Is there anything that you know of that indictates that we will maybe see this car?
  • the idea that bmw would produce something like the 1 series and not make a performance variant, especially with stated intentions of returning to roots, seems ignorant to me
  • it is the perfect exemplification of "efficient dynamics"
  • perfect for what bmw intends to do with the one series in my mind which is attract young buyers that just sold their tuned wrx/evo seeking a FUN, high performing, economical car in a reasonable daily driver package and will go on to buy an M5 etc.
  • perfect for the bmw enthusiasts and purists that gripe about how soft bmw has gotten
  • the first post in this thread. i believe what scott says, he has a good track record. you can choose not to
  • for the record i think it would be called a CS. maybe they will only wait it out and make a ///M someday. but there will be a performance version of the 1 series that will have the concepts expressed by the tii at its base.
  • i could be wrong but i believe the majority of bmw concept cars of this nature, especially when presented this early, do go on to production
  • its a whole other thing as to whether or not it would make it to the US, but i do believe it will
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #294
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
  • its a whole other thing as to whether or not it would make it to the US, but i do believe it will
Since the motor has power and anything added to it will start to tread on the M3, Id say its likely a performance version will have many light weight parts and a tuned suspension which wouldnt make it too hard to get it to the US so theres hope.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #295
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

i dont think they will be putting the N54 into any other one series besides the 135
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #296
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Body Double 2007

Body Double 2007:

M6 & 1 Series Coupe tii Concept
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #297
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

While I am a good fan of the 135i, this tii would get my money so fast. If they send it to the US with a nice turbocharged 4-banger, I will be tenting outside of my dealership to get the first allocation spot. And, if available, I would order it just like that (without the unpainted hood).
      12-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #298
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I actually like the 135i front trim better. It looks more M than this,
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 11:00 PM   #299
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazioNYC View Post
I actually like the 135i front trim better. It looks more M than this,

agree
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #300
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Road & Track February 2008

Road & Track February 2008
Road Test BMW M3 Coupe by Shaun Baily

Excerpt:

Although pricing for the U.S. has yet to be announced, BMW has already shown the sedan at the Los Angeles and Tokyo auto shows, and there will be a retractable hardtop coming soon. It seems that BMW is toying with us, as it keeps showing us new cars that make us giddy, but won't deliver the first M3 to the U.S. until spring of 2008!

By the time we test a U.S.-spec car, we'll be looking forward to the future Motorsports edition of the 1 Series.

If you were hoping the M3 would have a price in the U.S. close to the last generation's, you're in for a shock. It's going to be more, a lot more. The M3 slots between the M Coupe at an MSRP of $50,100 and the M5's MSRP of $82,900. For now, we'll guess it will come in at $65,000 but the comparable Audi RS 4 is more, so don't say we didn't warn you.

If the price seems steep compared to previous generations, it might help to look at the new 1 Series, where BMW will try to couple impressive power with lower weight and cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #301
Guga79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i AW

Sweetness
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #302
FIRST1
Major
United_States