BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #23
leesat
samuray
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Im having a same noise. My muffler is replaced and the noise is still there.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #24
jaf89f
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

there is also an intake flap and that is what is heard from the front of the car according to the service manager at my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 05:41 AM   #25
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
I get more of a ticking sound.

Seems to happen only at low speeds (less than 10km/h) when changing direction (steering or R to D, D to R). Sounds like it comes from around the rear axle or under the car near the driveshaft.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 03:30 AM   #26
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
I get more of a ticking sound.

Seems to happen only at low speeds (less than 10km/h) when changing direction (steering or R to D, D to R). Sounds like it comes from around the rear axle or under the car near the driveshaft.
I got exactly that it sounded like two metal parts banging each other and dealer installed new muffler and noise is gone. Oh and I heard they took the differential apart and played with that a lil bit too. so i'm not sure which one fixed the problem. Anyhow they got rid of the noise so i am happy

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #27
mpsalerno86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Sentra

So I am a recent second owner of a 2012 BMW 128i. I am not new to BMW and consider myself a fairly good hack mechanic - lots of experience maintaining an e91 wagon prone to numerous failures and need for maintenance. So enough of that. I noticed this clicking sound too. My 1er is a manual and I noticed the nose in 2nd gear to 6. When I lift of the accelerator at low RPMS (approximately 3k), I can appreciate a very distinct click - as if something is engaging or even disengaging. It even happens when I feather the pedal under little to no input - this causes multiple clicks. Since my car remains under warranty, I took it to the dealer. The service tech took me out and was completely unenthused and attempted to write it off as possible plastic rattling. I am no dummy, it was not plastic. So they took the car in to the shop, and after further examination decided that the noise was a defect in the exhaust. So, they replaced the exhaust. I picked up the car and quickly discovered that the exhaust replacement did not solve the issue. It was now very logical and likely that the noise was not the exhaust, but something else. My ears lead me to believe the noise was possibly under the rear seats or somewhere in the trunk. So I decided to remove the trunk board and put the rear seats down. After doing this, the noise was much more amplified and audible near the battery.

I recently came across http://www.1addicts.com/goodiesforyo...le_Manual1.PDF. On page 27 of the document, it references, "Intelligent Alternator Control (IGR) is also referred to as Brake Energy Regeneration (BER)."

I quote, "When the driver lifts off the accelerator pedal and steps on the brake the system uses that otherwise wasted kinetic energy generated as the vehicle is stopped to replenish the battery state of charge. Ultimately as the driver applies the gas pedal the charging system is disabled to render the engines maximum power."

I believe this is the answer to our enigma. I am not an engineer, albeit per the above reference, it sounds beyond a reasonable doubt, as if the clicking is totally normal with the BER system. I hope this helps.

2007 E91, 6speed manual, premium package, sport package, cold weather (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #28
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

This is the noise the exhaust flap makes if you want to compare:

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #29
mpsalerno86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Sentra

Thanks for adding the video. I forgot to mention in my previous post, I have since added the vehicles 3rd exhaust - the performance exhaust. The key here is the performance exhaust does not have an exhaust flap. And the presumed "IGR" noise is still ever present like it was with the 2 prior systems.

2007 E91, 6speed manual, premium package, sport package, cold weather (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #30
2002ish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think everyone is hearing the dual mass flywheel (if you have a M/T)

Could also be something related to the vanos
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #31
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth135i View Post
I've noticed this as well, but im pretty sure its just the valve in the exhaust opening and closing.... Havent tried the golf tee mod to see if the noise stops as the valve will stay open.. But that's my assumption..
The golf tee mod makes it disappear, or better, the installation of the PE exhaust...
      04-14-2016, 10:17 AM   #32
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I also get a sound of a metalic clunk like 'Ting' or 'Dunk' or when a little hammer hits some thick metal. I get it at low speeds in when add throttle or release throttle, more noticeable in covered garages. It drives fine for two years now, just makes that noise.

From what I read it may be related to the drive shaft and rear pumpkin connection. An old 2007 ish e90 thread talked about some kind of Blue lock-tight solving the issue. If requested, I will go looking for it in my subscribed threads...
Another newer e90 thread said it is the bearing donut/bushing thing that holds the drive shaft in the mid way to the pumpkin.

I recently had my diff pumpkin changed and so far the sound is missing, maybe because the connection has a different pumpkin or has been retightened and fresh with diff fluid. I really hope it was the maintenance, fresh diff fluid, and not a noisy pumpkin

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0