BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #23
bum944
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I want a diesel!

Popular opinion here is for the gas engines, but I would love a common-rail turbo diesel. Diesel fuel has finally been cleaned up in the U.S. and there are a few companies such as Mercedes who will have 50-state versions available soon. The problem though for BMW may be the image thing in the U.S. Not sure there would be enough demand unless the cost for gas goes back to the $3+ range.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #24
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Let's add a potential turbo 4-cylinder engine in the base model (idea from this thread - http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #25
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I have heard some rumblings about putting in a 2.5L of the N54, which would be nice. However, my preference lies in the N53. It has all the same features as the N54, yet it would switch valvetronic for HPI (BMW speak for direct injection) and yield ~275hp. It would be light, very fuel efficient, and love to rev :headbang:.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #26
aMetalhead
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
WHen BMW puts the new N54 TT engine into the 1 series it will basicly trounce the sector, its basicly an M level engine in a non M car, hopefully BMW brings the engine to the car sooner rather then later so it has ample time to set its mark
I hope BMW does it right from the get-go as part of the very first lineup available here. That's the proper way to make a splash and instantly get the word out about this car. Every major car magazine will have this car on the cover when it comes with the turbo engine.

The great part about this engine already being in the 335i is that an aftermarket is already developing for it and will have developed even further by the time this car gets here. There are already 335i's getting 355hp/405tq at the wheels!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #27
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer the N53 DI NA 3.0 with full 265 HP more than the N54 turbo on the 1 coupe. Sure more power always sounds great, and I certainly don't have anything but love for a turbo motor. But the reason I am interested in the 1 is because I would like a fun little RWD car that I can play with on a daily basis without wraping myself around a pole, and 300HP turbo in a small car like this might be a bit handful to push around on public roads.

I would, however, get a 335i sedan with no hesitation if I wanted/could afford such a car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #28
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

BRING THE BOOST!!! Its about time Europe has an answer to the new Evo and STI. (both will have over 300hp).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #29
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Results from a candid conversation

I had an opportunity to talk candidly with someone in the know at BMW regarding the 1 Series coupe coming to America. Here is what I could surmise based on that talk.

-It's looking like our base 1 Series (once again got confirmation that the coupe not be called a 2er) will be a 128i with 230 hp. The optional engine will be the 300-hp twin turbo as a 135i. We will not get a 130i as Europe and the rest of the word get.

-The car will not be cheap. No specifics were discussed regarding price, but it was clear that the 128i will not be marketed as a "cheap BMW." Instead, it will be a BMW that comes in just under the 3 Series. Esoteric? Yeah, but the car should reflect its price tag in terms of quality and performance. Clearly it will have to be priced appropriately beneath the 3 Series, and my guess is the 128i will start around $28,000. The 135 will likely start in the low $30,000 range.

-The 1 Series will be marketed to owners who "can relate to the qualites that made the 2002 and E30 models so popular." In other words, it will be a driver's car. I think BMWNA has acknowledged that the 3 Series is moving into a different market with each model evolution.

-We should be thankful they've waited for the mid-cycle update before bringing the 1er to America. The new interior is a great improvement over the original. The materials are in a different league, expecially the door panels.

That's the scoop for now. There won't be any news at the New York Auto Show in April. I'm standing by my asumption that the coupe will be shown at Frankfurt in September and make its North American debut in Los Angeles in December. I have no doubt we'll be seeing many more spy photos until then.

:roundel:
      03-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #30
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks View Post
I had an opportunity to talk candidly with someone in the know at BMW regarding the 1 Series coupe coming to America. Here is what I could surmise based on that talk.

-It's looking like our base 1 Series (once again got confirmation that the coupe not be called a 2er) will be a 128i with 230 hp. The optional engine will be the 300-hp twin turbo as a 135i. We will not get a 130i as Europe and the rest of the word get.

-The car will not be cheap. No specifics were discussed regarding price, but it was clear that the 128i will not be marketed as a "cheap BMW." Instead, it will be a BMW that comes in just under the 3 Series. Esoteric? Yeah, but the car should reflect its price tag in terms of quality and performance. Clearly it will have to be priced appropriately beneath the 3 Series, and my guess is the 128i will start around $28,000. The 135 will likely start in the low $30,000 range.

-The 1 Series will be marketed to owners who "can relate to the qualites that made the 2002 and E30 models so popular." In other words, it will be a driver's car. I think BMWNA has acknowledged that the 3 Series is moving into a different market with each model evolution.

-We should be thankful they've waited for the mid-cycle update before bringing the 1er to America. The new interior is a great improvement over the original. The materials are in a different league, expecially the door panels.

That's the scoop for now. There won't be any news at the New York Auto Show in April. I'm standing by my asumption that the coupe will be shown at Frankfurt in September and make its North American debut in Los Angeles in December. I have no doubt we'll be seeing many more spy photos until then.

:roundel:
Bryan you are awesome man!! Keep up the good work. I might ask for you to send your autograph by mail. please..lol
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #31
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the news Bryan.

I am not crazy about the engine lineup personally, but I like the connection that the person was making to the older Bimmers. Now one thing that this face lifted 1 series is missing compared to its ancestors is a good communicative hydraulic steering. A driver's car from BMW with numb electirc steering? Maybe it'll be ok, but I am worried.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #32
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
Thanks for the news Bryan.

I am not crazy about the engine lineup personally, but I like the connection that the person was making to the older Bimmers. Now one thing that this face lifted 1 series is missing compared to its ancestors is a good communicative hydraulic steering. A driver's car from BMW with numb electirc steering? Maybe it'll be ok, but I am worried.
I'm a little disappointed in the engine lineup myself, but only because my hopes for an M version of this car are quickly fading. I just can't see them making an ///M1, given what that name was originally applied to. I think the 135i is going to be a great car, and I'll be glad to own one. It just won't be an M car. Regarding the electric steering, I find the MINI Cooper's electrically assisted steering to offer plenty of feedback, I dare say on par with your WRX Wagon, which is pretty darn good (my wife has one too! :w00t. Even the former Turner Motorsport World Challenge Touring cars (and unknown others in the series) used electric power steering. You may recall the early E46s took a LOT of flak over their numb (engine driven) steering, but BMW swallowed their pride and put it right. Doubtful they'll make that mistake again. An electric system is tunable, just as an engine driven system is.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #33
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kway View Post
I'm a little disappointed in the engine lineup myself, but only because my hopes for an M version of this car are quickly fading. I just can't see them making an ///M1, given what that name was originally applied to. I think the 135i is going to be a great car, and I'll be glad to own one. It just won't be an M car. Regarding the electric steering, I find the MINI Cooper's electrically assisted steering to offer plenty of feedback, I dare say on par with your WRX Wagon, which is pretty darn good (my wife has one too! :w00t. Even the former Turner Motorsport World Challenge Touring cars (and unknown others in the series) used electric power steering. You may recall the early E46s took a LOT of flak over their numb (engine driven) steering, but BMW swallowed their pride and put it right. Doubtful they'll make that mistake again. An electric system is tunable, just as an engine driven system is.
I'm glad to hear that the MINI's steering is so good. Now with no torque going to the front wheels, let's hope that the 1 would have an even better steering than the MINI or the WRX. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 07:40 AM   #34
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kway View Post
I'm a little disappointed in the engine lineup myself, but only because my hopes for an M version of this car are quickly fading. I just can't see them making an ///M1, given what that name was originally applied to.
At some point they've got to let go of this M1 fascination and give in to a new dubbing a new M1. It's been nearly 30 years, and there will soon be a generation of BMW drivers that don't even remember the original M1. And it's not like a 350hp 1-series coupe would be a slouch of a car anyway. With the proper M tuning, the new M1 would deserve the mantle...

Engine line-up is far from disappointing, to me. My guess is they will follow later with a model below the 128i. The 135i M Sport will rock...

Put me down for a 128i with the sports package... 230hp is enough to get into trouble...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #35
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

I sure hope you're right Spud. Don't get me wrong, when I say I'm "disappointed with the engine lineup" that's only because I don't think it leaves much room for a true M version. Name aside, I don't know what they'd power it with, short of the S54. As wonderful as that would be, I have a hard time seeing BMW dropping that mill in a 1 chassis. Regardless, the 135i is going to be a rocket, and one with a sport package will certainly be enough to keep me happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 03:35 AM   #36
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

If i could choose between a 135i msport or 130i msport i take the 130i atmo. Turbo engine is heavier and turbo s bring a lot of heat in the engine if you driving a lot track. And turbo s can brake down then.

So i would like a real M engine in a 1 series coupe. That means no turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #37
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
If i could choose between a 135i msport or 130i msport i take the 130i atmo. Turbo engine is heavier and turbo s bring a lot of heat in the engine if you driving a lot track. And turbo s can brake down then.

So i would like a real M engine in a 1 series coupe. That means no turbo.
The N54 turbo engine supposedly does run pretty hot, and there have been some report of overheating in 3 series community. I guess it might have some heat issues with extensive track driving.

As for turbos being unreliable, I don't think it's true as a general statement any more, but the N54 is very new, and it does host some fancy technologies. German engineering + cutting edge technology is usually a bad mix for reliability, so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

I still think it's great that they are offering the N54 in such a small car for those that want the extreme performance. I am just a bit disappointed that you can't get the fully tuned 265HP NA engine in either 3 or 1 series in the US, and US only. I am not so happy with the 230HP engine, as it is detuned solely for marketing purposes.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #38
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

BMW adding the 265hp would be waay to much. It makes no sense to have 3 engines for a 1series. There are only 2 for the 3 series. Especially since they are already taking a major risk to bring it here in the first place. 230 hp should be a lot of fun. A 328i takes 6.1 to rip to 60mph. Isnt that number the same that the 130 M does??? Shave about 300 pounds of the 328i and u'll have a 128i!!! violia!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #39
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
BMW adding the 265hp would be waay to much. It makes no sense to have 3 engines for a 1series. There are only 2 for the 3 series. Especially since they are already taking a major risk to bring it here in the first place. 230 hp should be a lot of fun. A 328i takes 6.1 to rip to 60mph. Isnt that number the same that the 130 M does??? Shave about 300 pounds of the 328i and u'll have a 128i!!! violia!!!
Sure, I just thought that 125i-130i and 330i-335i line up would've been great too. But of course BMW wants to make a big splash with the 135i, which does not leave room for the 130i.
Appreciate 0