BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
one3five+
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 135i N55 6sp

N55 Battery and Timing/VANOS issues

Hello all,

Having some issues with my 2011 135i, and not getting a clear answer from the dealer.

Some backstory, a couple weeks ago the dealer replaced both VANOS solenoids and VANOS units (sheared bolts). The next day after getting the car back, the battery was showing signs of dying, and shortly after went dead. At this point I assume I need a new battery, though resting voltage was 12.10vdc.

The next morning, I jump the car to bring it to my regular mechanic, and the CEL pops on again (I'll get to that later). Drove it to the shop, and had them check the battery, before replacement just to be sure. They told me battery was fine, 610/640 cranking amps. Alternator is good, no issues there either. Suggested there is a drain on the battery. Great. I bring it to the dealer right after, because the CEL was timing related. Here is what I was able to pull from the car:

OBD2 - pending:
P052B - Cold Start "A" Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1
P13C0

Engine:
2D55 - Digital motor electronics (DME) internal fault: Accelerator pedal module monitoring
2C58
2D5A - Monitoring engine torque limiting

Traction/stability control:
5DEC

Instrument cluster:
A559 - Power supply switched off
A554 - Message error (telephone, 0xC1H), receiver instrument panel, transmitter JBE

Central module (in driver's footwell) (FRM):
9CB5 - FRM: battery exhausted

Junction box (passenger) (JBBF):
A6CF - JBE: AUC sensor

Infotainment system:
C519
E1E9
C588

Obtained with Carista 3.7.4 for Android.

This is where things got weird. Dealer says the timing code was because the oil was "dirty" (oil change was done around 1500mi ago), so they changed it no charge. Also, the serpentine belt snapped while driving it into their shop (just serviced a couple weeks ago), and replaced that as well, no charge. And to top it off, they said the battery was bad and needed replacement.

I'd rather not buy a battery if I don't need to. And I feel like the timing issue wasn't properly addressed and will likely come back again.

Not sure what to think. Anyone able to shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Battery issue + serpentine belt issue makes me wonder if the alternator isn't crapping the bed and casuing both of those issues? Low voltage can do weird things to the electrical system, and that could throw weird codes.
      01-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
one3five+
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
Battery issue + serpentine belt issue makes me wonder if the alternator isn't crapping the bed and casuing both of those issues? Low voltage can do weird things to the electrical system, and that could throw weird codes.
Quote:
No doubt. The code actually cleared itself on the way to dealer. I suspected something was giving resistance to the belt drive causing it to snap so that may be the cause. The tech said he hand spun everything though and couldn't find a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Your battery is at least EIGHT years old. It's time for a new one.

Low battery voltage can cause weird stuff to happen. Wrong oil or old oil can cause VANOS issues. Long oil drain intervals can also cause vanos and chain issues. The best oil is fresh oil.

I think you need to replace the battery and drive the car a while - to see IF the vanos issues are fixed or not. It sounds like your dealer is trying to work with you. They didn't have to change your engine oil($150) and they didn't have to replace your serpentine belt(probably another $150). Your car is eight yours old... just buy a new battery from the dealer and have them code and reset the car's charging system.

Sometimes people think the dealer is just there to rip them off... but to me it sounds like they have been pretty up and up with you.

Dack
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
one3five+
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Low battery voltage can cause weird stuff to happen. Wrong oil or old oil can cause VANOS issues. Long oil drain intervals can also cause vanos and chain issues. The best oil is fresh oil.

I think you need to replace the battery and drive the car a while - to see IF the vanos issues are fixed or not. It sounds like your dealer is trying to work with you. They didn't have to change your engine oil($150) and they didn't have to replace your serpentine belt(probably another $150). Your car is eight yours old... just buy a new battery from the dealer and have them code and reset the car's charging system.

Sometimes people think the dealer is just there to rip them off... but to me it sounds like they have been pretty up and up with you.

Dack
Quote:
Quote:

Dack
Honestly haven't had any issues with the dealer, they have been great so far. Just the recent issue felt a little off is all.

I'm the third owner of the car so not sure when the battery was replaced last, I haven't checked the date on it yet. But given that it's a BMW branded battery, you might be right on the 8 years of age.

They did go a little deeper and said they didn't change the oil when they did the VANOS and it could have contaminants in it causing issues, which is why they covered it. Not sure on the belt, never heard of a new belt snapping for no reason, but I'm not a licensed mechanic *

As for the battery, I'll definitely replace it and go from there. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      01-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by one3five+ View Post
Honestly haven't had any issues with the dealer, they have been great so far. Just the recent issue felt a little off is all.

I'm the third owner of the car so not sure when the battery was replaced last, I haven't checked the date on it yet. But given that it's a BMW branded battery, you might be right on the 8 years of age.

They did go a little deeper and said they didn't change the oil when they did the VANOS and it could have contaminants in it causing issues, which is why they covered it. Not sure on the belt, never heard of a new belt snapping for no reason, but I'm not a licensed mechanic *

As for the battery, I'll definitely replace it and go from there. Thanks for the help!
The problem with the vanos is the bolts that hold it together tend to shear off and end up in your engine oil pan. This is one reason why BMW pays to change the oil when they do this recall. Personally I would change the oil myself and run a magnet thru the old oil. Maybe with the oil drain plug removed... throw some new oil down the "hatch" to see if any other metallic parts from popping out.

Change your oil at least twice a year or every ~5K miles - which ever comes first. I know oil changes and engine oil(types/viscosities) are so religious with car folks. But BMW's 15K and now 10K mile oil services are just too long. This is what causes some internal engine parts to not last like the vanos solenoids/chains & guides).

take care,
Dackel
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
one3five+
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The problem with the vanos is the bolts that hold it together tend to shear off and end up in your engine oil pan. This is one reason why BMW pays to change the oil when they do this recall. Personally I would change the oil myself and run a magnet thru the old oil. Maybe with the oil drain plug removed... throw some new oil down the "hatch" to see if any other metallic parts from popping out.

Change your oil at least twice a year or every ~5K miles - which ever comes first. I know oil changes and engine oil(types/viscosities) are so religious with car folks. But BMW's 15K and now 10K mile oil services are just too long. This is what causes some internal engine parts to not last like the vanos solenoids/chains & guides).

take care,
Dackel
Thankfully nothing fell into the pan, and they were able to retrieve the parts. And oil changes for me are part of my maintenance ritual. I too do not trust the extended oil change periods, and changing it sooner certainly does no harm.

The Vanos job was not covered by BMW because my VIN wasn't part of the recall, despite having the identical issue listed. Thankfully I have an extended plan through Route 66 that covered everything zero cost to me, though they weren't happy about the repair bill either

Thanks again for everyone's help, and here's to many more trouble free miles!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      02-06-2019, 03:40 AM   #8
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

How is your oil filter housing? When they leak badly, the belt slips, shreds and punches in the front main seal leading to more chaos
Appreciate 0