BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
justinmj
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi wagon, '13 135i vert

Looking to buy a convertible

Hi there,

I'm a '14 328xi sport wagon owner over in the 3-series forums, and I'm interested in buying a 135i convertible for the weekends. Ideally, I'd find one that's a CPO 2012-2013 model here in SoCal (hopefully a manual, though that's been tough to find), as one of the holdover new ones is probably too expensive for me. A couple of questions, if I may:

- I'm initially interested in a 135i with M Sport. Can anyone tell me if it's worth holding out for a 135is? My only hesitation with that one has been a few reports of a lot of exhaust drone at cruising, but perhaps that's the same with both cars. 20 odd extra horsepower sounds great to me.

- Can you tell me anything I should be looking out for in terms of issues with the car when I'm checking them out at dealerships?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6mt

It took me 4 months to find the CPO 135i convert 6mt I bought. I picked mine up at the end of last summer (first week in Sept).

A couple things I did in my car search (in addition to visually inspecting the car)
1. I ran a carfax on all cars that I was interested in (review for accident history, number of owners, BMW buyback from unhappy owner, etc.)
2. When shopping at BMW dealers, I let them know that I wanted a printout of the service history for every used car I looked at. (The car I bought was a 3yr 30K mile lease return, HPFP replaced 6 months from new, all service/work performed at original dealership, one owner, driven most in summer months)

As far as buying an 135is or 135i, I would say buy an 135is if you like the rims and are not likely to buy an aftermarket tune. Otherwise save the money and do the mods that you want (thats the route I took as I new I was going FBO plus upgraded suspension and wheels anyway) The only 135is I drove was a coupe, I liked the exhaust note alot and did not find it too loud or to drone too much.

Good luck in your search. IMO the 135 convert with a 6mt is an excellent combination and I have no disappointments
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
Hi there,

I'm a '14 328xi sport wagon owner over in the 3-series forums, and I'm interested in buying a 135i convertible for the weekends. Ideally, I'd find one that's a CPO 2012-2013 model here in SoCal (hopefully a manual, though that's been tough to find), as one of the holdover new ones is probably too expensive for me. A couple of questions, if I may:

- I'm initially interested in a 135i with M Sport. Can anyone tell me if it's worth holding out for a 135is? My only hesitation with that one has been a few reports of a lot of exhaust drone at cruising, but perhaps that's the same with both cars. 20 odd extra horsepower sounds great to me.

- Can you tell me anything I should be looking out for in terms of issues with the car when I'm checking them out at dealerships?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!
Obviously I'm biased, but I'd look seriously into a 135is, especially if you really like the wheels and extra power because the overall package then is a great value since the wheels alone are almost $2k. There are actually some dealerships that still have NEW 135is convertibles for sale at HUGE discounts, sometimes less than some places are selling used ones for and I've seen a few CPOs around, just gotta really look.

I will say that you'll probably get a little drone with the DCT, though after 5,000 miles, my drone is all gone, and even when there was a little, it was a small price to pay for that amazing performance exhaust sound. With the manuals, it's much less of an issue though and most don't have any drone or it's easily remedied by switching gears at that speed.

I can also say that if you ask any convertible owner with the performance exhaust, they'll tell you it's suuuch an amazing sound to hear with the top down, which is why I'd say if you can find the right 135is, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
justinmj
Private
Rep

135iam and gregthegr8, this is immensely valuable information! Thank you both. I'll look for an is, or definitely take an i if I can get it with M Sport.

One follow-up question: can you recommend a good resource for finding current dealer inventory?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
135iam and gregthegr8, this is immensely valuable information! Thank you both. I'll look for an is, or definitely take an i if I can get it with M Sport.

One follow-up question: can you recommend a good resource for finding current dealer inventory?

Thanks again.
Autotrader has many, but if you want CPO'd ones, just go directly to the bmwusa.com site and you can search for CPOs.

If you like the normal m-sport wheels, I wouldn't get TOO hung up on the i vs is thing because you can easily add the performance power kit (20 hp) and/or performance exhaust to basically turn it into a makeshift 135is or do it over time.

I did see a new carbon black 135is convertible (DCT) down at BMW of Encinitas which is a bit far, and there's a carbon black 135is coupe with 3-4,000 miles on it at pacific BMW in stick if you at least want to drive that and have a stick version to see if you can really even notice the added power of that 20 horsies.

I know someone on here is selling a white with coral red 135is 6MT convertible with 5 or 6,000 miles, but it's way out in North Carolina. So, not sure what colors you want, if the DCT is a dealbreaker, or how far and wide you may want to go to find a car. ebay believe it or not has a ton of listings, too if you want to check there.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
justinmj
Private
Rep

Excellent, Greg....I just found those same two cars. Thank you very much! I'm in Glendale, so Encinitas isn't too bad if I was to pull the trigger. In fact, they have two cars: a new '13 is and a new '13 i, both carbon black. The i has an oyster interior, which I quite like in a convertible, even though I am worried about it looking a little "douchey". The white/coral combo doesn't get me stoked.

I think I'll go down to Pacific and drive that is coupe with manual and see what I think...that's a very good idea.

Justin
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
justinmj
Private
Rep

Greg: very true re: performance power kit..will consider that as well. I think the main thing I need to ascertain is whether or not I can live without the manual (and the potentially long wait for one) or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Greg: very true re: performance power kit..will consider that as well. I think the main thing I need to ascertain is whether or not I can live without the manual (and the potentially long wait for one) or not.
Ya, go drive any used coupe or convertible in both stick and DCT to see if that's a dealbreaker for you cause that'll be the main thing. I think there are a lot of manual coupes out there, but not sure there are many manual convertibles, which may just be my own conjecture, but in CA, seems dealers stocked up on DCT convertibles, whereas most custom orders were done in stick and probably 75-85% of the time it's on a coupe.

If you drive the IS coupe in glendale, put the windows down and see not only what you think of the extra power, but also that performance exhaust, cause it's REALLY addictive and intoxicating, and I'm not normally an exhaust person. I don't think there's a single person on the forum though that got the performance exhaust that doesn't love it. A dealer also might be able to search dealer stock across the country to see if there are any other various i or is convertibles still at a dealer for sale as new. Last time I looked around here in like january/february, they were taking $8-9k off sticker price, as listed on the dealer's websites.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
justinmj
Private
Rep

A wealth of good info and advice...agreed, and thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
justinmj
Private
Rep

Can anyone tell me if there's any reason why I shouldn't consider a 2010 or 2011? Any disadvantages or changes in the car back in those years that are noteworthy?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if there's any reason why I shouldn't consider a 2010 or 2011? Any disadvantages or changes in the car back in those years that are noteworthy?
Yes, 2010 is the last year of the N54 motor. Some on here will find that incredibly desirable as it's more tuner/mod friendly so you can get more power out of it. The downside is possible reliability issues with a few of its components, which is why BMW stopped using that engine in most its cars and switched to a similar engine, the N55 from 2011 on, with the same 300 hp/300 ft-lb of torque on paper.

The N55 is supposed to be a lot more reliable, but you can't squeeze as much power out of it. My sense is you're not going to be modifying the car or trying to get more power out of it, so I think for you 2011 and beyond would be better. Also, the headlights and taillights changed I think on the 2011's - adding the eyebrows to the headlights and the rear taillights changed from a 3 LED horizontal bar design to more of an L shaped design.

If you have any other questions, let me know as I had a 2008 135i and a 2013 135is, so I know them both pretty well and the dealers in LA - both good and bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
justinmj
Private
Rep

Well, that really helps. Thanks again, man.

Factoring in all of what you're saying would basically put this car in the running for me:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976839

....except that I don't like white.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Well, that really helps. Thanks again, man.

Factoring in all of what you're saying would basically put this car in the running for me:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976839

....except that I don't like white.
Ha! That's Mark's car. I know him and sold him my runflats when I bought my car about a year ago.

I've never really been a white car person, but I will say, they do look good in alpine white as someone in my lot at work has a 135i in alpine white so I see it every day and always looks crisp and clean, even when a little dirty. Plus, Mark's car has the PPK (320 hp) and the performance exhaust, so sounds and performs just like a 135is.

Nice to see my tires again.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
justinmj
Private
Rep

Awesome. Yes, that's a very nice example. I just live in an area (Glendale) that seems to be overrun with white BMW's and Benz's, so it looks a little more commonplace.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

What's your preferred color and interior trim? If you even know at this point what that is. Your best bet may be to go look at that coupe at Pacific BMW since it's right there cause you really have to see carbon black in person as it's a very dynamic color that looks black one minute, but at the right angle you'll see that it's really a dark dark blue. And at the right angle with direct sunlight, you'll see red, blue, even pink flecks in it. It's an interesting color. That car, as does every 135is, will also have the glacier aluminum trim which some people like, some don't as it's like a snakeskin stamped patterned dull aluminum.

Drive that as it will drive the same as Mark's car (except for the top of course) and see what you think of that color. It may also give you insight into manual vs DCT as well and may save you a potential trip to Encinitas. If you like that car and color scheme, and want to spend more for a new one, you may want to just ask what encinitas bmw's bottom line is on that new convertible. I also think you may want to see Mark's white one or A white one in person to see what you think. It's worth it of course to just see my tires and tell them I say hello.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #16
justinmj
Private
Rep

In order of preference, I prefer carbon black, blue, black, or gray. I drove the carbon black car at Pacific, and it was magnificent in every way. That color is to die for. If it was a convertible I would have bought it. I'm actually somewhat ambivalent about manual vs. DCT. I'd probably be just as happy with DCT. I do want M-Sport (or the 135is version), Premium, Technology, and Harman Kardon.

I'm not a huge fan of the glacier aluminum trim in the 135is, that's the only drawback for me.

Greg, do you (or does anyone else reading) know what is different exactly between MY 2011-2012-2013? I know that since 2011, I'd be dealing with the twin-scroll turbo, and that is my desired era for sure. But I'd like to know if there's any idea of the differences between 11-12-13. I know that, for one, before '12, the rear seat doesn't seem to have any sort of pass through for long luggage, which is unfortunate. Anything else? Maybe differences with the screen/nav/bluetooth?

Thanks again,
Justin
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:54 AM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
In order of preference, I prefer carbon black, blue, black, or gray. I drove the carbon black car at Pacific, and it was magnificent in every way. That color is to die for. If it was a convertible I would have bought it. I'm actually somewhat ambivalent about manual vs. DCT. I'd probably be just as happy with DCT. I do want M-Sport (or the 135is version), Premium, Technology, and Harman Kardon.

I'm not a huge fan of the glacier aluminum trim in the 135is, that's the only drawback for me.

Greg, do you (or does anyone else reading) know what is different exactly between MY 2011-2012-2013? I know that since 2011, I'd be dealing with the twin-scroll turbo, and that is my desired era for sure. But I'd like to know if there's any idea of the differences between 11-12-13. I know that, for one, before '12, the rear seat doesn't seem to have any sort of pass through for long luggage, which is unfortunate. Anything else? Maybe differences with the screen/nav/bluetooth?

Thanks again,
Justin
Glad to hear you at least got to drive that coupe at Pacific. They sure are fun, probably way too fast, and that performance exhaust is intoxicating.

I'm not sure there are any real substantive differences after the facelift and engine change. Only minor thing is I think on the 11's and 12's, or just the 12's, you get a storage tray in front of the gearshift to put things instead of a fliptop ashtray. I believe that means you lose the power outlet there, too.

There are a lot of CPO convertibles it looks like within 500 miles. Here are a couple of good ones, at least in terms of your parameters, no clue if they are good/bad prices. You DO NOT want one without the m sport package though, trust me. You want that steering wheel and those seats, especially.

Here's a black 2012, DCT, wood trim, and you can see it has the storage tray instead of the ashtray thing.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/BMW/...m?geoZip=90035

Here's a loaded, pretty 2013 up north, it has the seemingly newer (maybe only 2013) fineline wood trim, notice the ashtray to see the difference:

Space gray 2011, also up north:

And a 2013 black on coral red, not recommending this cause it doesn't have the m sport package and you can see how flat and unbolstered the seats are, and the different steering wheel. My 2008 did NOT have the sports seats and it's a night and day difference:

And there's always that 135is convertible in encinitas in carbon black, though that'll be your priciest option. Who knows how far down they might come now though in price. Might be $10k off? I believe there are threads on here though where numerous people want to trade their wood trims for the glacier alumnium, or you could always buy the BMW carbon fiber trim, though it's pricey at like $1200 or something like that.

One last black one, too:

http://www.eastbaybmw.com/detail-201...-12115324.html

Last edited by gregthegr8; 05-22-2014 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
Bob Z.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Vert

Silver with Coral Red and a Moonlight softtop is very nice; however, I am biased! And if it matters, it is for sale in the classifieds here.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 05-26-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #19
justinmj
Private
Rep

Thanks gents!

Greg, I drove the one you linked above first in your post, the 2012 black/black CPO down in Newport. Great car, pretty clean. Drove perfectly. That one up north looks even better. I'm trying to see what Encinitas and SF will sell me their 135is's for, though so far their offers to me are only $6k below MSRP. Not sure I can get it low enough to justify, and therefore a CPO at a good deal might be my only avenue.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #20
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Whatever you do, most convertible owners will probably recommend you swap out the giant antenna on there for the "sport antenna" which is a $30 upgrade that's short and stubby, works the same, but looks a lot better, may save an eye or two, and suits the lines of the car better. You can see it on Kouper's car here to give you an idea. Best $30 you'll ever spend.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915407
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
justinmj
Private
Rep

Smart move on that antenna!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #22
justinmj
Private
Rep

Hey gregthegr8 and others:

I pulled the trigger on a car, and it's going to be shipped to me next week. It's a 2013 CPO 135i M-Sport, black/black DCT, with most all options. 15k miles It's coming down to Glendale, CA from Weatherford BMW in Berkeley, CA. I'm excited!

The only downside to the car is that it was an exec demo, but it's clean and tight. Nor Cal forum member pepper135I was kind enough to go assess it for me, which was invaluable.

I'd like to start getting some ideas of things to do to for my car right away, just the lightest and simplest of mods and/or things to buy that might be wise. Such as:

1) Golf tee mod.
2) Sport antennae.
3) Some non-run flat tires that might improve noise, ride and performance but that are the same size as stock.
4) A nice car cover.

Anything else I might want to do right off the bat?

Thanks,
Justin
Appreciate 0