BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #23
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Nope, I made sure to use the clear "gummy" 3M automotive tape. It has a red backing. I just pulled the plate off starting at one corner, just as you would a sticker and it came off fine. Not a single blemish. That will be the way I do it when I return here shortly. And our bumpers are the perfect size to fit the plate and be centered, as you can see above.

I like your set-up as well, I had something similar to that on my CR-X. It's exactly what I would have done had Vegas made me run a front plate.

Here is the tape: http://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotc...=pd_sim_auto_1

Check out the reviews.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold

Last edited by HondaGoneRogue; 11-08-2011 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:45 AM   #24
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for the continued advice guys. I haven't been ignoring this thread but everytime I try and post a reply the website freezes or I get logged out. I think its my POS netbook...but anyways.

Babyjoe1973:
I'm in Spangdahlem

BBBluey:
Thanks for the tip on washing the car at the Auto Hobby Shop. It was super convienent.

Z4 OREO:
Congrats on the 135! What color, I'm sure I've seen or will see you around base. Mines DSB with the ICarbon lip...flag me down and say hi.

HondaGoneRogue:
Did you have a clear bra installed whe nyou used the tape? I've considered doing the same but dont want to rip the film off when I take off the plate........and Trier..I'm working on it but its slim pickins trying to find a place there. But when you get get three unsolicted suggestions from local females telling you to live in Trier you pay attention.

Thanks everybody for all the good advice on finaces and such. It's all things I'll keep a close eye on. As for the 1er it looks like one of my rims was scuffed during transport . Its odd but looks like it may have been from something they used to strap it down with. The car also feels low on power. Its odd but the exact same thing happened when I stored the car for two months over the summer. It cleared up once I got the software update so I'm not sure what that means. I'll have the dealer look at it when I get my maps updated.

Wade
      11-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #25
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Thanks HondaGoneRogue...

Swadeness...speaking of clear bra...have any of you seen the new stuff from Xpel...called Ultimate? Fantastic stuff if it really self-heals...I'd like to do my whole friggin car with it. Check out:http://www.xpel.com/installations/viewrelease.asp?id=73

there's also a sweet video on YouTube that shows the self-healing properties...

Maybe I should have made this a new forum
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #26
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness View Post
...Thanks everybody for all the good advice on finaces and such. It's all things I'll keep a close eye on. As for the 1er it looks like one of my rims was scuffed during transport . Its odd but looks like it may have been from something they used to strap it down with. The car also feels low on power. Its odd but the exact same thing happened when I stored the car for two months over the summer. It cleared up once I got the software update so I'm not sure what that means. I'll have the dealer look at it when I get my maps updated.

Wade
Perhaps this is due to the ethanol fuel in the USA. I know that the 10% ethanol that E10 Super over here has is known for not lasting long time. Meaning you should not store a car with it - in it's tank. Also the E10 gives you less performance than say SuperPlus.

Hopefully you have gotten your ESSO fuel card by now Wade. ? I only buy my gas off post at Esso bc ALL the fuel on base has Ethanol it it. Even SuperPlus(it has 5%). While off post at Esso SuperPlus has NO ethanol in it. Its bc the fuel we get on base comes from a different supply chain than the fuel that German Esso gas stations get. We get the crappy gas while the Germans get better fuels. Just FYI.

IF you have a Aral (blue gas stations) or a Shell... they have another top tier fuel grade. Ultimate 102 octane and V-Power 100 octane. You could put 20 euros worth in and see what your "butt dyno" feels.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #27
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
HondaGoneRogue:
Did you have a clear bra installed whe nyou used the tape? I've considered doing the same but dont want to rip the film off when I take off the plate........and Trier..I'm working on it but its slim pickins trying to find a place there. But when you get get three unsolicted suggestions from local females telling you to live in Trier you pay attention.
Nope I never had a clear bra. I regret it now lol. Maybe then Rix's setup would be more ideal.

As far as Trier goes, you aren't bound to only the housing office listings. Any German landlord can rent to us provided they follow the proper set-up. Ask around, and be sure to check out the yardsale sites I sent you. There usually always nice pads in Trier.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #28
Swadeness
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Gaahh! I just wrote a lenghy reply only to get logged out again so here is try #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx135 View Post
...speaking of clear bra...have any of you seen the new stuff from Xpel...called Ultimate? Fantastic stuff if it really self-heals...
This is what I have on my hood and fenders (well I'm 95% sure I've got to find my reciepts). It looks fantastic, and you cant tell its there unless you are looking very very close. There is no difference in color between my fenders (covered) and doors (not covered). A quick tip: take off your roudel, headlight/window washers, grills, sidemarkers etc. when you hand the car over to the installer. It makes their job loads easier and goes a long way to eliminate visable lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Perhaps this is due to the ethanol fuel in the USA. I know that the 10% ethanol that E10 Super over here has is known for not lasting long time. Meaning you should not store a car with it - in it's tank. Also the E10 gives you less performance than say SuperPlus.

Hopefully you have gotten your ESSO fuel card by now Wade. ? I only buy my gas off post at Esso bc ALL the fuel on base has Ethanol it it. Even SuperPlus(it has 5%). While off post at Esso SuperPlus has NO ethanol in it. Its bc the fuel we get on base comes from a different supply chain than the fuel that German Esso gas stations get. We get the crappy gas while the Germans get better fuels. Just FYI.

IF you have a Aral (blue gas stations) or a Shell... they have another top tier fuel grade. Ultimate 102 octane and V-Power 100 octane. You could put 20 euros worth in and see what your "butt dyno" feels.

Dack
Yep, I looked up your old post about the Esso gas and sure enough on base has the 5% crap. Unfortunatley I haven't found an Esso nearby and have been told the closest is 40+ miles away. I also tried searching the Esso website but could not find a "store finder".

I don't think the gas is the issue though. This same thing happed over the summer after it sat for two months. Over several weeks and a couple tanks of gas I eventually talked myself into believing it was just in my head. But as soon as I got the software updated it was back to the way I remembered......strange. Whatever it was I think it explaines why I lost about a 1/2 sec. and 2-4 mph in the in quarter before I had the update.

Wade
      11-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I looked up your old post about the Esso gas and sure enough on base has the 5% crap. Unfortunatley I haven't found an Esso nearby and have been told the closest is 40+ miles away. I also tried searching the Esso website but could not find a "store finder".

Wade

Esso.de doesn't have a store finder per se. But they do have a search engine that works when you enter a city or zip code.

I prefer to use Google.de though.

Go to Google.de and put in: Spangdahlem
Then after the page loads type in "Esso", after the word "Spangdahlem" in the search window. This will show you ALL the Esso's in your area.

Here is what I got...

http://maps.google.de/maps?rls=com.m...ed=0CEIQ8gEwAg

Looks like this Esso is the closest...

33 kms away from Span...

Arthur Hauck KG Vertretung Der Esso Ag_bb

Auf Wolfsgang 8,
54311 Trierweiler

tel. 0651/9987737

or this Esso...

46 Km's away from Span...

ESSO Tankstelle RAINER MARX

Moselweinstraße 85,
54349 Trittenheim

tel. 06507/7039854

And in Bittburg there are two Aral's and one Shell gas station. IF you want to put some "good stuff" in your tank!

I also found this Shell Tanksteller (gas station in German) only 5 kms(!)from you!!

Shell Lindenstraße
Lindenstraße 25,
54662 Herforst

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #30
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Esso gas station finder in ENGLISH

Try this link.
hyper linked from the main Esso page..."Tankstellen finder"
http://www.euromap.be/esso/start.asp...de&language=en
      11-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #31
Swadeness
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for the links to the Esso station I used it to find this location in Trier.

Kaisersrt 30-31
54290 Trier

And I may have found a place to live in Trier! Its on the river, has a garage, a ten minute walk to downtown, and less than 5 min. to an Esso! Location wise I don't think I can beat it. I'd be looking at a 30 min drive one way (if I average 110mph on the Autobahn). The garage is a bit small though so I'll have almost zero room for projects but I've got to make sacrafices if I want to live in a good location. Driving through the countryside around here is amazing! I feel so lucky I'll get to drive some of these roads on a daily basis. I'm already looking forward to the spring when I can get my good wheels and tires on and get my suspension bits installed. As the weather gets colder and looking at these roads the need for a daily driver becomes more and more apparent. Once I find a place this become my top priority. Anybody got some sugestions on a good daily driver? I've seen a lot of mid 90's to early 2000 3 series for sale but IDK what type of reliabilty concerns there are with the high milage. If not that maybe a Suby (if I can find one) or a civic/accord. Either way its got to be safe/competant on the Autobahn, backroads, and snow.

Thanks
Wade
      11-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #32
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
glad it's all working out...moving here to DE can be such a pain in the ass with all the money you have to lay out and no=one wants to translate any of the technical and legal German documents you have to sign everywhere to start everything...be careful how many businesses you give your account info to or they'll just pull euros whenever a bill is due and might not be when you actually want to pay it.

We need to get together...in fact I'll be shooting some wounded warrior portraits as a community service project at the Landstuhl USO on the 4th of Dec....swing on down and check out the 1M...

Best of luck..Rick
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #33
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Anybody got some sugestions on a good daily driver? I've seen a lot of mid 90's to early 2000 3 series for sale but IDK what type of reliabilty concerns there are with the high milage. If not that maybe a Suby (if I can find one) or a civic/accord. Either way its got to be safe/competant on the Autobahn, backroads, and snow.

Thanks
Wade
I have an older friend in K-town that just told em he's selling his 320? something as it's a bit too fast for him...He is the second owner....says it's in excellent condition, low miles as the first owner was a dinosaur and never drove....he wants $5000 or so for it.

Let me know.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #34
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
more tips

Quote:
Thanks for the links to the Esso station I used it to find this location in Trier.

Kaisersrt 30-31
54290 Trier

And I may have found a place to live in Trier! Its on the river, has a garage, a ten minute walk to downtown, and less than 5 min. to an Esso! Location wise I don't think I can beat it. I'd be looking at a 30 min drive one way (if I average 110mph on the Autobahn). The garage is a bit small though so I'll have almost zero room for projects but I've got to make sacrafices if I want to live in a good location. Driving through the countryside around here is amazing! I feel so lucky I'll get to drive some of these roads on a daily basis. I'm already looking forward to the spring when I can get my good wheels and tires on and get my suspension bits installed. As the weather gets colder and looking at these roads the need for a daily driver becomes more and more apparent. Once I find a place this become my top priority. Anybody got some sugestions on a good daily driver? I've seen a lot of mid 90's to early 2000 3 series for sale but IDK what type of reliabilty concerns there are with the high milage. If not that maybe a Suby (if I can find one) or a civic/accord. Either way its got to be safe/competant on the Autobahn, backroads, and snow.

Thanks
Wade
NP on the Esso links. If your going to be storming the back roads this website is worth it's weight in gold.

www.blitzer.de
They have an Iphone app!

It is also wise to learn and listen carefully to the morning German radio station Blitzer und Stau reports. Key in for known roads and towns along your route. You will quickly learn where the stationary posts are at but the mobile ones are the ones that will geblitz you.

As for used cars it's buyer beware! As a rule I would a avoid a used car from another service member/short termer. Especially a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. Typically, the cars are not maintained at all (there are exceptions) serving only to last for 36 months prior to being offloaded in an attempt to recoup as much money as possible. I purchased a used Honda Accord from a German dealership. It was hassle free. It had a complete service record book, one owner, two sets of tires and passed inspection with flying colors (as should a '00 Accord with 49K miles and an automatic to boot!). I am generalizing but, your safer buying a used car from a German than an American.

Check out this website, this is how I found the Accord ("Heidi Honda"). You can search in English (but the interface is pretty easy even in Deutsch).
http://www.autoscout24.de/

Good Luck
      11-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #35
135i OREO
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I got myself a 94 Golf to drive around during the winter. The snow here was pretty bad last year and even the Golf got stuck a few times. I agree with Beans about most cars not being treated right by Americans but if you just need a beater, I'd rather pay the 2000 for a Golf and pay for repairs as it breaks. I got my Golf in 2009 and the only thing that has broken on it was a alternator and I had to get the brakes changed. Parts are easy to come by and you can do the majority of the work yourself. Keep in mind, the car has to pass inspection before it is sold to you (unless you buy it non-op which I wouldn't do). As for the drive to and from Trier everyday, its gonna get old real quick. I did it a few times and I wanted to shoot myself sitting in traffic after 15 minutes. Its nice to be close by when you want to go out but between the traffic and putting all the miles on your car on a daily basis, it starts to suck. I used to live 27 miles from base and put a shitload of miles on my Z4 and had to put gas in it every week (at least). I moved to Badem 3 weeks ago when I bought the 135i and I couldn't be happier.

Just make sure you find a place you really like, don't just settle for some random place. Moving here is a pain in the ass. I learned that the hard way. If you need help with anything, hit me up. I'd be happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #36
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

re: Blitzer's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
NP on the Esso links. If your going to be storming the back roads this website is worth it's weight in gold.

www.blitzer.de
They have an Iphone app!
+1.

Another cool tool is to download all the Blitzer locations onto your your portable GPS. Then your GPS will warn you where the Polzei setup their traps. I think there is also a way to do this for the BMW Navi as well. ?

Speed Camera Data Base - its only 10 euro fee to download their POI onto your GPS/Navi for up to a year.

http://www.scdb.info/

Also... www.Radarfalle.de (Radar Trap) is a good website to search for pictures and maps where the Polizei setup their traps in your "neck of the woods".

http://www.radarfalle.de/radarfallen/

Just pull down the "Bitte Auswahlen" and then search.

Rotlicht = Redlight (camera)
Geschwindigkeit = speed (camera)

As for a winter car... look on Stars & Stripes... or on BooKoo...

http://ramstein.bookoo.com/search-PA...ars&cat1151676

Dackel

Last edited by Dackelone; 11-14-2011 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0