BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #2025
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Haha... now page 93.
      02-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #2026
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Haha... now page 93.
Thanks. It was more of a test post. ;-) I'm considering Cobb vs. Dinan S1 tune. I confirmed the Cobb should work on my 2011 N55 based on my build date. Now it's time to rear through 92 err.. 93 pages to decipher info on N55, smoothness, throttle response and turbo lag. HaHa!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #2027
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Thanks. It was more of a test post. ;-) I'm considering Cobb vs. Dinan S1 tune. I confirmed the Cobb should work on my 2011 N55 based on my build date. Now it's time to rear through 92 err.. 93 pages to decipher info on N55, smoothness, throttle response and turbo lag. HaHa!
I think you mean Dinan S2 Haha
      02-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #2028
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I think you mean Dinan S2 Haha
Yep. Every tune uses different lingo. One tuners stage 1 is another's stage 2
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 03:47 AM   #2029
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, N55, 6MT, MPK

Garage List
So, after 7 years of ownership I am finally going to tune my 135i.... I'm a family man now with a baby/another on the way, and recently almost traded in my vehicle towards a minivan... glad that didn't happen and that my gal and I came to our senses and just decided to add a vehicle to our fleet and keep our current cars... my near death bmw ownership experience caused me to embrace my 135i more than ever and decided that I need to show her some extra love and attention...

I've decided over the JB4 and Dinan, that I want the cobb v3 ap for my 2011 135i w/n55 and will run stage 1. Im not looking for a ton of power, as I want to keep my car safe. 92 octane is the highest octane I can usually find out here, so I won't even be able to run aggressive mode unless that changes...I'm ok with that though as I just want more a little bit more responsiveness. I really I like the ease of install/uninstall back to stock with the cobb ap, being able to read codes is nice, and I like the display a lot, especially with the ability to record 0-60 times... that alone sounds like a fun toy to help add a little excitement to my groundhog-dayish life.... but I keep hearing that cobb isn't good unless I pro-tune it, because "every car is different" and it won't as run smooth or give me as many gains... Can someone explain to me how pro-tuning my car is worth it if I don't have any upgrades besides the stage 1 flash? Wouldn't my car be the same as any stock 135i N55 that the cobb stage 1 135i n55 ots map was tuned for? I mean, I get it if you really get into upgrading your car parts and you want to optimize the tune to work best with and take advantage of all of your non-stock parts, but I don't have any those... Am I misunderstanding this? Thanks... Also, I am aware I should upgrade the air filter and get a metal charge pipe, and likely will. I will definitely at a minimum get a K&N air filter.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #2030
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csween86 View Post
So, after 7 years of ownership I am finally going to tune my 135i.... I'm a family man now with a baby/another on the way, and recently almost traded in my vehicle towards a minivan... glad that didn't happen and that my gal and I came to our senses and just decided to add a vehicle to our fleet and keep our current cars... my near death bmw ownership experience caused me to embrace my 135i more than ever and decided that I need to show her some extra love and attention...

I've decided over the JB4 and Dinan, that I want the cobb v3 ap for my 2011 135i w/n55 and will run stage 1. Im not looking for a ton of power, as I want to keep my car safe. 92 octane is the highest octane I can usually find out here, so I won't even be able to run aggressive mode unless that changes...I'm ok with that though as I just want more a little bit more responsiveness. I really I like the ease of install/uninstall back to stock with the cobb ap, being able to read codes is nice, and I like the display a lot, especially with the ability to record 0-60 times... that alone sounds like a fun toy to help add a little excitement to my groundhog-dayish life.... but I keep hearing that cobb isn't good unless I pro-tune it, because "every car is different" and it won't as run smooth or give me as many gains... Can someone explain to me how pro-tuning my car is worth it if I don't have any upgrades besides the stage 1 flash? Wouldn't my car be the same as any stock 135i N55 that the cobb stage 1 135i n55 ots map was tuned for? I mean, I get it if you really get into upgrading your car parts and you want to optimize the tune to work best with and take advantage of all of your non-stock parts, but I don't have any those... Am I misunderstanding this? Thanks... Also, I am aware I should upgrade the air filter and get a metal charge pipe, and likely will. I will definitely at a minimum get a K&N air filter.
Have you heard of MHD? If not, I recommend you read the threads on 1addicts and e90post. MHD us continually developing for the n55 and releasing new features, as far as I know cobb is not.

Ots maps are designed to work on a large number of cars and are more conservative. A pro tune or etune will fine tune the tune for your particular car which typically will allow for more boost and/or timing, resulting in more power.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #2031
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Quote:

Have you heard of MHD? If not, I recommend you read the threads on 1addicts and e90post. MHD us continually developing for the n55 and releasing new features, as far as I know cobb is not.

Ots maps are designed to work on a large number of cars and are more conservative. A pro tune or etune will fine tune the tune for your particular car which typically will allow for more boost and/or timing, resulting in more power.
Ill look into although I don't mind the tune being conservative. I'm not looking to to make my car super fast or put a good amount of extra stress on it as it's already 7 years old and has 67k miles . The access-port would be a fun little toy/gadget to have while adding some responsiveness to the car when I'm in the mood. When you say the tune is made for a large number of cars are we talking like any bmw with the n55, or even cars outside of bmw? My main concern with the cobb ots stage 1 tune is, am I going to go backwards in terms of smoothness and responsiveness from the stock oem tune or will it still be better? That's all I'm worried about. Of course I can get better performance from jb4 or even from a pro-tune down the line with the cobb, but whole reason I like the like the cobb is the ease of install and getting some extra power and responsiveness and just being done with it. I'm not looking to go all out with tuning my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #2032
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I had the same criteria when I looked for a tune and bought Cobb AP3 3 years ago.
3 different levels depending on mods and 3 different versions in each plus
the option of linear or stock throttle mapping.
+ FMIC Drive Linear Throttle is just right for me. While the sport and aggressive are
more powerful they are not as smooth. Linear throttle feels much more natural to me too.
With your expectations I think you would be happy with it.
ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #2033
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I had the same criteria when I looked for a tune and bought Cobb AP3 3 years ago.
+ FMIC Drive Linear Throttle is just right for me. While the sport and aggressive are
more powerful they are not as smooth. Linear throttle feels much more natural to me too.
Thanks for the input. I think I'll be happy with it, and I know with the access port I can still climb through the stages if I decide to upgrade, and even get pro-tuned... I likely won't do that though.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #2034
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Do you remember how much you paid 3 years ago? The AP v3 is $650 now directly from Cobb, and I can get a 15% veteran discount added to that as well, so $552.50 total... Just curious to see how the price has changed over time, and see if I should wait for another price drop.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #2035
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Do you remember how much you paid 3 years ago? The AP v3 is $650 now directly from Cobb, and I can get a 15% veteran discount added to that as well, so $552.50 total... Just curious to see how the price has changed over time, and see if I should wait for another price drop.
I think it was around $700.00.
ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #2036
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Ill look into although I don't mind the tune being conservative. I'm not looking to to make my car super fast or put a good amount of extra stress on it as it's already 7 years old and has 67k miles . The access-port would be a fun little toy/gadget to have while adding some responsiveness to the car when I'm in the mood. When you say the tune is made for a large number of cars are we talking like any bmw with the n55, or even cars outside of bmw? My main concern with the cobb ots stage 1 tune is, am I going to go backwards in terms of smoothness and responsiveness from the stock oem tune or will it still be better? That's all I'm worried about. Of course I can get better performance from jb4 or even from a pro-tune down the line with the cobb, but whole reason I like the like the cobb is the ease of install and getting some extra power and responsiveness and just being done with it. I'm not looking to go all out with tuning my car.
ease of install on MHD is the same as Cobb; but MHD supports the N55 today. If you notice, this is Cobb's thread, and they have not commented in the thread for a very long time. I honestly cannot comprehend why you would spend your hard earned cash on a product that no longer supports your platform and is inferior to MHD.

If you still want a cobb AP, buy one used. I have a V2 AP I would be glad to sell you.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #2037
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
ease of install on MHD is the same as Cobb; but MHD supports the N55 today. If you notice, this is Cobb's thread, and they have not commented in the thread for a very long time. I honestly cannot comprehend why you would spend your hard earned cash on a product that no longer supports your platform and is inferior to MHD.

If you still want a cobb AP, buy one used. I have a V2 AP I would be glad to sell you.
I can't find a website for this company or any information on the requirements/recommendations to run the tune safely except for here-say on these forums... That concerns me a little bit on reliability and safety of my car. Is this valid for the 2011 135i n55? I'm seeing a lot of beta stuff as if it's still in testing and not all worked out. I've also read you need an android device too? So I pretty much have to buy a phone or tablet if I use apple... In the end after buying an android device, the adapter, the app, and the tune, I'm spending as much if not more on the MHD... I'm not looking to keep fine tuning and upgrading, I just want something I set up one time and am done with it and get a cool gadget for recording 0-60 times, numerous boost and info displays, and reading codes. Sounds like the MHD takes much longer to load and switch between maps too, but I can't argue that the company is still working hard to tweak and fine tune their tunes, and it appears power gains are better.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:31 PM   #2038
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can't find a website for this company or any information on the requirements/recommendations to run the tune safely except for here-say on these forums... That concerns me a little bit on reliability and safety of my car. Is this valid for the 2011 135i n55? I'm seeing a lot of beta stuff as if it's still in testing and not all worked out. I've also read you need an android device too? So I pretty much have to buy a phone or tablet if I use apple... In the end after buying an android device, the adapter, the app, and the tune, I'm spending as much if not more on the MHD... I'm not looking to keep fine tuning and upgrading, I just want something I set up one time and am done with it and get a cool gadget for recording 0-60 times, numerous boost and info displays, and reading codes. Sounds like the MHD takes much longer to load and switch between maps too, but I can't argue that the company is still working hard to tweak and fine tune their tunes, and it appears power gains are better.
had cobb for 2 years mhd for 6 months

go with mhd i feel the trans and engine rune smoother and more in sync its very easy to use
final cost for me was very cheap 40$obd cable 4$ otg cable 56$ samsung tab 3 8inch and 150$ for mhd license and stage 2 map packs..

do yourelf a big favor and get the mhd cobb is outdated and nowhere near as refined
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #2039
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Sounds like Cobb's website has successfully tricked you into thinking you will get a refined and supported product. If you cannot find the two massive threads on 1addicts and e90, you didn't bother looking. Like I said, I have a v2 AP in great condition I will sell you for a great price, just pm me if you're interested.

And for anyone thinking an aftermarket tune is set it and forget it, that is not reality. At minimum you will need to initially grab logs to make sure your car is happy. Every car is different and what works for one car may not work for the other. If you run an MHD ots map and have issues, there are two active threads, basically customer support threads, where you will get help.

If I were buying a tune today, I would get the mhd flasher module, and an etune from wedge for the fuel I want to run, and skip all of the ots modules. I have to grab logs either way, might as well do it while getting a tune tailored to my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #2040
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Worth noting that MHD has excellent logging, including an autostart feature that I don't think Cobb has (they don't for the mazdaspeed, where I have many years of tuning experience with the AP)

I owned MHD and the logging license for quite a while prior to tuning just to be sure I had a well behaved car to start from
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #2041
tomcat0071
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
I just want something I set up one time and am done with it and get a cool gadget for recording 0-60 times, numerous boost and info displays, and reading codes.
You can absolutely do this for cheaper on MHD.

Android phone/tablet $80
Adaptors $20
MHD total ~$180
Phone mount $40 for a good one

Total is $320 compared to the Cobb $700

You can install everything and hide all the cables if you want to leave it in the car.

Sure MHD takes a bit longer to switch maps but it's so much better than Cobb's solution. With MHD OTS maps you just set it and you can forget it once you're sure it's working right on your car. There doesn't have to be any fine tuning past the first logging session.

Worth noting that you'd probably want to do the same check with Cobb anyways. You want to make sure everything's in working order before you do the "forget it" part
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #2042
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Also worth noting about MHD that your licenses for your VIN (flashing, maps, logging) follow your google id, not the device. So you can flash or log from your phone, and your tablet both. Get a new android phone or tablet and all your licenses for that VIN will be right there. It's nice to have multiple devices, multiple screen sizes
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #2043
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Also worth noting about MHD that your licenses for your VIN (flashing, maps, logging) follow your google id, not the device. So you can flash or log from your phone, and your tablet both. Get a new android phone or tablet and all your licenses for that VIN will be right there. It's nice to have multiple devices, multiple screen sizes
Well maybe I'm liking the sounds of this, but I'm going to wait till the N55 tune has been out longer and isn't in beta anymore...

-So I can record 0-60 times and display them?
-Can anyone recommend a cheap android device that will allow for a nice display and mount in my 135? I'm an apple guy so I have no Samsung, but don't want a new top of the line phone or tablet.

Edit* I have no android devices, not just Samsung.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #2044
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
MHD does not attempt to display 0-60, or any sort of software dyno numbers, and based on results I've seen in the past neither should Cobb.

There are many inexpensive android products that work well, other's have posted suggestions earlier in this thread. Personally I'm an android person, so it's everywhere in my ecosystem. insert generic i-sheep joke here...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #2045
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So, I'm going to try the MHD route instead of cobb... I love the burble option, especially since my car used to, and after a dealership visit it never did again... My dad has an old Motorola droid 4 that runs android 4.1.2 that he's sending to me in the mail since I have iPhone only... So hopefully that saves me some money... According to what I found, it supports OTG. I got the KDCAN cable recommended from the MHD user manual for $35, and found a 3 way otg cable on amazon so I can also charge my device while using it as a monitor for $4.50 w/prime shipping. Once all that stuff comes in I'll actually buy/install the app, the the flasher/monitor module, and the stage 1 maps. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes... Hopefully the phone is actually otg supported. Worst case scenario, I buy a refurbished 7-8 inch tablet for about $50-60.

If this works out, after all said and done, the cost of this would be $356.50 compared to $552.50 for the cobb after a 15% veteran discount. A savings of $196 hopefully for a better tune and a nice burble. I like how the license and files will be attached to my account just in case my device breaks, but the Cobb does seem better for mounting and being able to leave it plugged in since there is an on and off switch. I also don't like the fact the n55 MHD is in beta, that doesn't make me to comfortable and confident to install it just yet.

Edit* Just tacked on a "Schumacher SSC-1500A-CA Ship 'N' Shore 15 Amp SpeedCharge Charger with Battery Clamps" for $39.98... Still saving over $150 compared to Cobb, even if I add on a decent tablet, still saving.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #2046
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like Cobb's website has successfully tricked you into thinking you will get a refined and supported product. If you cannot find the two massive threads on 1addicts and e90, you didn't bother looking. Like I said, I have a v2 AP in great condition I will sell you for a great price, just pm me if you're interested.

And for anyone thinking an aftermarket tune is set it and forget it, that is not reality. At minimum you will need to initially grab logs to make sure your car is happy. Every car is different and what works for one car may not work for the other. If you run an MHD ots map and have issues, there are two active threads, basically customer support threads, where you will get help.

If I were buying a tune today, I would get the mhd flasher module, and an etune from wedge for the fuel I want to run, and skip all of the ots modules. I have to grab logs either way, might as well do it while getting a tune tailored to my car.
Thanks for opening my eyes. I ended up flashing MHD last night. I love it so far. Im very happy with the tune itself although I can't compare it to Cobb, but I'll definitely take the burbles and an actively supported tune over a 0-60 gauge and a tune that no longer has support.... Oh, and the price especially considering I got an old Motorola droid 4 for free from my parents that they had sitting around. Happy driving!
Appreciate 0