BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Recall Campaign No. 17V-683: PCV Valve Heater

So is there anyone else with a 2008-2011 128i that was not affected by this recall? I heard about this one last fall, and expected to get a letter in the mail, but so far, nothing. I plugged my VIN into the recall site, nothing.

Should be good news, right? But I'm a little concerned because I have a Military Sales car that was delivered in Europe, so sometimes dealers or whatever have a hard time pulling up my vehicle by VIN, even though I registered my warranty with BMWNA when I arrived back Stateside. For example, sometimes the recall site will tell me there are no open recalls, even when I've had a letter mailed to me.

I finally called BMWNA and they told me, nope, not affected by this recall. But I'd feel a lot better knowing there were other people in the year range not being recalled, because I'm worried my car is just slipping though the cracks.

Thanks!
      05-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Yes they call you, i am in lebanon middle east (3rd wold country) and my friend has a jeep imported from us, the jeep company called him here to replace an airbag due to a factory issue.. so no worries they ll get to you if needed
      06-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Yeah Bob, I'd be suspicious too. I've got the same year as you and I got the letter. They're just waiting for parts. I'm in Canada but that shouldn't make any difference. Since I've changed to a DISA manifold I don't know if will actually apply. A friend is a tech at the dealership and he'll look into that aspect of it when parts become available.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

Even if BMW won't include your car, the part is not terribly expensive and it shouldn't be too bad to change (at least from what I could discern from the instructions).
      06-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Since I've changed to a DISA manifold I don't know if will actually apply. A friend is a tech at the dealership and he'll look into that aspect of it when parts become available.
Interesting. I've got a DISA manifold as well, so maybe it's much ado about nothing. I don't know exactly what he repair entails, so it's hard for me to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
Even if BMW won't include your car, the part is not terribly expensive and it shouldn't be too bad to change (at least from what I could discern from the instructions).
Do you have those available? I like to see exactly what they're going to be doing before I take it in.
      06-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #6
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Just received a letter from BMW stating that they have a fix for my N51 powered 128i and I should make an appointment to get it fixed.
      06-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Bimmer-Bob That's probably bc no one ever let BMW NA know that your Military Sales Car was back in the states. For some reason BMW AG doesn't let BMW NA know your car was built... so they never have an address or person for that VIN.

Just fill out this form and send it to BMW NA.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
Just received a letter from BMW stating that they have a fix for my N51 powered 128i and I should make an appointment to get it fixed.
maybe parts are coming in finally. I called a dealer a few weeks ago and they didn't have em for my 2008 N51
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Interesting. I've got a DISA manifold as well, so maybe it's much ado about nothing. I don't know exactly what he repair entails, so it's hard for me to say.
I've also got a DISA manifold. given that, there is no need for this recall?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
Quote:
I've also got a DISA manifold. given that, there is no need for this recall?
I don't know - I think there were plenty of cars with the DISABLED manifold on that list, but I could be wrong.

Incidentally, I had my car in at the dealer to finally take care of the air bag recall. They confirmed that my car is unaffected by the recall, and said the car passed their visual inspection of the PVC valve, etc.
      07-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #11
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep

Mine is going in Monday to have the PCV heater recall done. It's considered an all-day job even though the notice specs 3.0hrs, as they have to let the car cool down a bit before digging into it. I'm sure they also build in time to the estimate to deal with any associated problems, if found.
      07-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #12
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Mine is going in Monday to have the PCV heater recall done. It's considered an all-day job even though the notice specs 3.0hrs, as they have to let the car cool down a bit before digging into it. I'm sure they also build in time to the estimate to deal with any associated problems, if found.
Let us know how it goes.
Are they providing a loaner?

I am going in end of July.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep

Yes, they are providing a loaner.
      07-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep

Got the recall done today. Car went in at 0930, called that it was ready at 1615. Parts list on the invoice shows a few aluminum screws and the blow-by heater p/n 11-61-2-458-830, so apparently there was no damage to any other components (I doubt there was any damage to the old PCV heater either).

Loaner was an X1, which was deeply uninspiring. The less said about it the better.

I hate taking my car to the dealership. It's been there twice - this recall and the airbag recall - and both times they've left a strong impression of a hopelessly disorganized, slipshod organization. They can't find cars, they can't find keys. They can't seem to be bothered to properly capitalize my name in their system. They don't have my email listed even though I got two reminder emails from them about this appointment. My "service advisor" - and I use the term loosely - barely said a word to me, and seems to have thought that I requested a multi-point inspection (invoice reads "Customer requested to have Multi Point Inspection performed at this visit") even though I said no such thing. They washed the car and now it's got water spots and smudges, plus a few greasy fingerprints on top of the left fender and an oily smudge on the armrest. Under the hood the junction box above the engine was left out of its clips and sitting on the engine cover. They're very polite, but that's their sole redeeming characteristic.
      07-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #15
128ibro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Got the recall done today. Car went in at 0930, called that it was ready at 1615. Parts list on the invoice shows a few aluminum screws and the blow-by heater p/n 11-61-2-458-830, so apparently there was no damage to any other components (I doubt there was any damage to the old PCV heater either).

Loaner was an X1, which was deeply uninspiring. The less said about it the better.

I hate taking my car to the dealership. It's been there twice - this recall and the airbag recall - and both times they've left a strong impression of a hopelessly disorganized, slipshod organization. They can't find cars, they can't find keys. They can't seem to be bothered to properly capitalize my name in their system. They don't have my email listed even though I got two reminder emails from them about this appointment. My "service advisor" - and I use the term loosely - barely said a word to me, and seems to have thought that I requested a multi-point inspection (invoice reads "Customer requested to have Multi Point Inspection performed at this visit") even though I said no such thing. They washed the car and now it's got water spots and smudges, plus a few greasy fingerprints on top of the left fender and an oily smudge on the armrest. Under the hood the junction box above the engine was left out of its clips and sitting on the engine cover. They're very polite, but that's their sole redeeming characteristic.
I checked bmwusa website the status for the recall is remedy unavailable.

How you got it replaced?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #16
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128ibro View Post
I checked bmwusa website the status for the recall is remedy unavailable.

How you got it replaced?
I got the letter from BMW that the remedy was available. They may be staggering it regionally to avoid putting undue strain on the parts supply chain.
      07-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #17
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

My dealer said BMW is officially not doing it yet at my location but they have a bunch of replacement parts on hand that they will do mine if I bring it in.
      07-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #18
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Funny thing-I took my 128i into my local dealer to ask about this recall, and see if the Takata recall had been done. They first ran my VIN, and could get no information about recall status. They then took my key and put it in the reader, and still no joy. They wrote down my VIN, and are contacting BMW Warranty about the situation. Really odd. I know for a fact that neither of my keys are the ones my car came with. My car was a repo, and the dealer (non BMW) only had one key for it. I ordered another one for a spare. Maybe that has something to do with the key reader issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just did mine today. Took 2 hours tops. I was there 8:30 and got the phonecall that it is ready around 10:30.

no horror stories apart from the water spots from the tender loving care of the dealership and their addiction to unfiltered rinse water

bonus: the service advisor had a copy of the car's service history. my logbook is now complete
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #20
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoe Ulbeht View Post
Just did mine today. Took 2 hours tops. I was there 8:30 and got the phonecall that it is ready around 10:30.

no horror stories apart from the water spots from the tender loving care of the dealership and their addiction to unfiltered rinse water

bonus: the service advisor had a copy of the car's service history. my logbook is now complete
scheduled an appointment to get the airbag and PCV recall done next week. They estimate 2 hrs completion time.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know - I think there were plenty of cars with the DISABLED manifold on that list, but I could be wrong.

Incidentally, I had my car in at the dealer to finally take care of the air bag recall. They confirmed that my car is unaffected by the recall, and said the car passed their visual inspection of the PVC valve, etc.
So now apparently the parts are in, will make an appointment next week. Talked to DISA installer/ AA tuner and he believes it's basically a harness replacement and doesn't touch/affect the manifold, so as long as they don't do any computer updates there shouldn't be any issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #22
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Getting this recall and the airbag done as I type this. Tech estimated a little over an hour. He also noticed my valve cover gasket was leaking, and they're replacing it for free since I have the N51 and that's covered (along with other engine related components) under the SULEV 15 yr/150k mileage warranty. Another benefit of the N51

Also, the SA here tells me about 90% of parts that cause a check engine light will be covered by this SULEV warranty. Tried to get a print out but he says they don't have one. However, he says 02 sensors, crank shaft sensors, fuel pump, etc. are all covered. I feel like this should increase the value of the N51 equipped cars!

Last edited by chris82; 08-21-2018 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 1