BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

1M Power vs Manual Seat Headroom

Has anyone compared side by side a 1M with power vs manual seats? I ask this because I'm shopping VW GTi's and am encountering some headroom issues (sunroof vs non-sunroof cars) and wondering if a manual seat GTI would give me even more room. Then it got me thinking if a manual seat 1M would give me any more headroom. I cannot wear a helmet comfortably in the 1M. I did wear one for a drag race but I had to lean back - which would not be good for any other kind of track event.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Yes. Manual seats in 1M are about 1 3/8" lower at their lowest point than power seats. Sitting on top of the car was a
Common saying by the car media during reviews because most 1Ms in US were loaded. The learned that lesson and almost all M2s given to the press had manual seats even though not offered in the US. The seats are also a little lighter than motorized ones and the mirrors on strippers are also not motorized for further weight savings. That's why you still see a desire for strippers especially among trackers because more headroom. Also the seating position is more natural for me. I test drove a couple of no nav 1Ms with power seats and the higher seating position, while not bad, was noticeable. The wife has a 2008 GTI with manual seats so can't compare to power but at 5'10". I don't have any issues at all in gti since it's a no sunroof car and taller cabin. As a side note I love the gti seats. VW can show anyone how to make a great seat!
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is very interesting. I test drove an STI this weekend and that definitely felt like I was driving on top of the car. It was a very odd feeling for me that I don't think I've ever experienced, at least to that degree, before.

The 1M fits me fine (I'm 6'3') - just not with a helmet. I have a full face helmet, so i wonder if the other kind (I forgot what they're called) would be better. I literally need about 1/4 of an inch to be perfect.

Yes, the GTI seats some of the best I've ever sat in of any car!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
This is very interesting. I test drove an STI this weekend and that definitely felt like I was driving on top of the car. It was a very odd feeling for me that I don't think I've ever experienced, at least to that degree, before.

The 1M fits me fine (I'm 6'3') - just not with a helmet. I have a full face helmet, so i wonder if the other kind (I forgot what they're called) would be better. I literally need about 1/4 of an inch to be perfect.

Yes, the GTI seats some of the best I've ever sat in of any car!
I really don't like leather for performance cars and I have been toying with the ideal of finding a pair of manual seats from a 128i or 135i and having them upholstered in alcantara with orange stitching. I would then keep my old seats too. You could find set of manual seats also as long as the belt tensioner has not been popped in an accident.

Another option is to find a 12" disk sander and take 1/4" inch off the top of your helmet. : )

If you were British, they adapted their fighters with the "malcom hood" which was very effective. A mettal hammer and some patience you could make your own malcom hood 1M.

Joking aside, find a manual seat with a good belt tensioner and they bolt on with four bolts. Eezy peezy lemon squeezy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm told that swapping out seats is surprising easy so I probably will buy a manual seat, or even a race seat for track use.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
I'm told that swapping out seats is surprising easy so I probably will buy a manual seat, or even a race seat for track use.
I had a closer look at the seats in my car which has the same seats as yours, and for the love of God I could not see why it is impossible for the seat to move lower. There's enough space.

The high seating position is frustrating, tbh.
      03-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I had a closer look at the seats in my car which has the same seats as yours, and for the love of God I could not see why it is impossible for the seat to move lower. There's enough space.

The high seating position is frustrating, tbh.
Not sure if I am being helpful or a cause for frustration, but I seem to recall a thread about resetting or coding the seats so they can go lower?!?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Not sure if I am being helpful or a cause for frustration, but I seem to recall a thread about resetting or coding the seats so they can go lower?!?
You're right, I remember it as well... but not sure what was the ending. Time to dig it up.
      03-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have taken them out. You unplug your battery so you don't get airbag light.

Slide forward and take back bolts out, slide back and take rear bolts

Then under seat is a connector for heated seats, airbag sensors etc. Just unplug and lift out. They are freakin heavy.

Then plug in in reverse and plug battery last so you get no airbag lights

don't close your trunk, it will not open without batter and make sure both doors are open before you disconnect battery so windows are partially down.

the key is finding a seat where the belt tensioner did not go off. Or if it did, you can replace it too.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
You're right, I remember it as well... but not sure what was the ending. Time to dig it up.
Its a mechanical thing, not electronic. You might be able to do something that might lower them slightly but the issue is with motors and gears under the seat. etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I've also anecdotally heard that swapping manual seats with BMW Performance seats (unobtanium, but in the end are just rebadged Recaro Sportsters) don't appreciably increased headroom.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Its a mechanical thing, not electronic. You might be able to do something that might lower them slightly but the issue is with motors and gears under the seat. etc.
"German engineering"

03-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #13
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I've also anecdotally heard that swapping manual seats with BMW Performance seats (unobtanium, but in the end are just rebadged Recaro Sportsters) don't appreciably increased headroom.
I must be the outlier on this topic. I'm 5'8", so that has an obvious influence but I have no problem with the seating position in the power seats. I do always like to be able to see some portion of the hood too, no matter how little. But maybe that is strange?

...and I really want the performance seats too.
      03-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Quote:
I must be the outlier on this topic. I'm 5'8", so that has an obvious influence but I have no problem with the seating position in the power seats. I do always like to be able to see some portion of the hood too, no matter how little. But maybe that is strange?

Some people need a booster seat ... others don't ??

Just saying!

I'm 5'10"...
I can also see the hood. So you probably have correctly identified why you are an outlier.

The power seats in the 1M and the M2 make me feel like i am sitting perched atop a seat and not in it. I immediately noticed it in the 2 series while test driving a 228 on the BMW ultimate driven on the street and also have driven an M2 (and a 1M ) on track with power seats.

I'm sure I would accommodate .. but the additional headroom lost with a helmet on also makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:56 AM   #15
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

I find it strange that going from my E90 to the 1er, I feel like I am sitting on a booster seat. The E90's seats (which are also power) go so much lower.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Some people need a booster seat ... others don't ??

Just saying!

I'm 5'10"...
I can also see the hood. So you probably have correctly identified why you are an outlier.

The power seats in the 1M and the M2 make me feel like i am sitting perched atop a seat and not in it. I immediately noticed it in the 2 series while test driving a 228 on the BMW ultimate driven on the street and also have driven an M2 (and a 1M ) on track with power seats.

I'm sure I would accommodate .. but the additional headroom lost with a helmet on also makes a difference.
Wait, what's next, a bald joke too? :

I can understand the helmet room issue, but I wonder if a feeling of 'sitting on top of the car' can be synonymous with body roll of a stock suspension? My i3 for example, I feel like I'm sitting on the roof, but this has less to do with the seating position and more to do with the comfy, wallowy suspension.

Another question, do the manual seats still have adjustable side bolsters (a la reebok pumps ) ?
      03-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I can understand the helmet room issue, but I wonder if a feeling of 'sitting on top of the car' can be synonymous with body roll of a stock suspension? My i3 for example, I feel like I'm sitting on the roof, but this has less to do with the seating position and more to do with the comfy, wallowy suspension.

Another question, do the manual seats still have adjustable side bolsters (a la reebok pumps ) ?
Sit in an E90 which is based on the same chassis. Before even moving, you can notice the seat goes a LOT lower.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #18
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:

Manual seats have electrically inflatable side bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #19
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:

Yes, the US manual seats have an electric pump that pumps both bolsters on demand by pressing a rocking switch on the front outside of each seat. Also seat heating (and in EU adjustable lumbar support) was an option on 1M manual seats. In EU also passenger airbag deactivation and an isofix bracket were an option (VO 470)
Appreciate 0