BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
39
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Low beam headlight/AHL malfunction??

So my passenger side low beam just went out recently. I automatically assumed it was just the bulb so I bought a set on Amazon and replaced them both. To my disappointment the same low beam is still not working. This also stopped working just right after I started getting adaptive headlight malfuction warnings as well. I'm not sure if these 2 issues are related but I couldn't find much on this topic. I'm hoping maybe someone here has experienced something similar and can offer me some help? thanks in advance.
__________________
12 135i: DINAN S3, ARM 7" FMIC, MADDAD MIDPIPES, REMUS EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, ARM CP
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
39
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else experienced a Low beam headlight go out and replaced the bulb but still not fix the problem?
__________________
12 135i: DINAN S3, ARM 7" FMIC, MADDAD MIDPIPES, REMUS EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, ARM CP
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
88tuning.id
Private First Class
88tuning.id's Avatar
Indonesia
31
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: E39 520i Msport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indonesia

iTrader: (0)

i dont quite have this particular problem, but do you want to try to code out the AHL error?
__________________
Instagram: @tafikhulafaa & @88tuning.id
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
39
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88tuning.id View Post
i dont quite have this particular problem, but do you want to try to code out the AHL error?
So I swapped out the entire headlight assembly from the driver side on to the Passenger side, this means bulb, ballast, wiring harness, control module should all be in good working order correct? So I'm left with footwell control module I'm assuming? or possibly even just a simple fuse? I actually should have checked the fuses first of course but I didn't know where this was located so maybe I'll check there first.

If I do code out the AHL error, will that just disable the movement of the headlights? I'm assuming this won't make my headlight work all of a sudden.
__________________
12 135i: DINAN S3, ARM 7" FMIC, MADDAD MIDPIPES, REMUS EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, ARM CP
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
codinge90
Banned
263
Rep
745
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

It's most likely the xenon control module if you changed the lowbeam bulbs and it's still not working. As for the Adaptive Headlight Malfunction, when you code it out you lose functionality of the adaptive lights. Headlights will work normal though
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:54 AM   #6
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
39
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
It's most likely the xenon control module if you changed the lowbeam bulbs and it's still not working. As for the Adaptive Headlight Malfunction, when you code it out you lose functionality of the adaptive lights. Headlights will work normal though
Is this the same as the ballast? I googled this and the ballast came up which i've tested already and its in working order. I'm left with the footwell control module which I haven't had time to search for since I'm out of the country but will check this first when I get back.
__________________
12 135i: DINAN S3, ARM 7" FMIC, MADDAD MIDPIPES, REMUS EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, ARM CP
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
codinge90
Banned
263
Rep
745
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
It's most likely the xenon control module if you changed the lowbeam bulbs and it's still not working. As for the Adaptive Headlight Malfunction, when you code it out you lose functionality of the adaptive lights. Headlights will work normal though
Is this the same as the ballast? I googled this and the ballast came up which i've tested already and its in working order. I'm left with the footwell control module which I haven't had time to search for since I'm out of the country but will check this first when I get back.
I would take a look at realoem and put you vin in. I know I'm e9x chassis there is a specific xenon module and there are other ballasts, not sure if it's different for e8x. I doubt it's the frm, if the frm is failing you'd notice more than just the low beam not working. Do you have access to a code reader? You could have a short circuit fault for the low beam which would mean the frm has stopped supplying power to the low beam, if that's the case the counter needs to be reset
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
39
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
I would take a look at realoem and put you vin in. I know I'm e9x chassis there is a specific xenon module and there are other ballasts, not sure if it's different for e8x. I doubt it's the frm, if the frm is failing you'd notice more than just the low beam not working. Do you have access to a code reader? You could have a short circuit fault for the low beam which would mean the frm has stopped supplying power to the low beam, if that's the case the counter needs to be reset
Well I've tried 2 different ballast and the original still works as well, I do have a scanner so I'll run that first when I get back. I jumped to conclusions and started buying parts before really diagnosing it. thanks again for the input.
__________________
12 135i: DINAN S3, ARM 7" FMIC, MADDAD MIDPIPES, REMUS EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, ARM CP
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9007
Rep
22,873
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

On USA cars the footwell module has an extended warranty. I think up to 12 years. ? Not 100% on how long it's for, but its been way extended.... but it's very common for the FW3 module to fail. Are you in the USA ? A new FW3 is your best bet. You will also have to code it to your car.

It sounds like its your footwell module wince you swapped the complete headlight units and they still don't work. There is an ECU under each xenon headlight. But like I said... it sounds like it's your footwell module.


As for how to figure out when you have a bad bulb... you can press and hold the BC(Board Computer) button down and read out the error code.

DIY: How to figure out which bulb is bad/out on your car?
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1185634
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
codinge90
Banned
263
Rep
745
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Frm is 10 year (from build date) 150,000 mile warranty
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #11
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
39
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Awesome, So I can take her to the dealer to get this sorted out, Sound like excellent news for me. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm assuming the dealer shouldn't charge me a dime if this is under warranty, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.
__________________
12 135i: DINAN S3, ARM 7" FMIC, MADDAD MIDPIPES, REMUS EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, ARM CP
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #12
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
39
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
On USA cars the footwell module has an extended warranty. I think up to 12 years. ? Not 100% on how long it's for, but its been way extended.... but it's very common for the FW3 module to fail. Are you in the USA ? A new FW3 is your best bet. You will also have to code it to your car.

It sounds like its your footwell module wince you swapped the complete headlight units and they still don't work. There is an ECU under each xenon headlight. But like I said... it sounds like it's your footwell module.


As for how to figure out when you have a bad bulb... you can press and hold the BC(Board Computer) button down and read out the error code.

DIY: How to figure out which bulb is bad/out on your car?
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1185634
Hey Dackelone

thanks again for the tips, I dropped off my car to the dealer today and the service advisor told me that if the problem is my FRM Module they will replace it but they may not be able to save my tune (Dinan stage 3) is this correct? I would think they would be able to flash to stock and flash my tune back. This is getting pretty ridiculous all for just a headlight
__________________
12 135i: DINAN S3, ARM 7" FMIC, MADDAD MIDPIPES, REMUS EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, ARM CP
Appreciate 1
Dackelone9007.00

      05-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9007
Rep
22,873
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post
Hey Dackelone

thanks again for the tips, I dropped off my car to the dealer today and the service advisor told me that if the problem is my FRM Module they will replace it but they may not be able to save my tune (Dinan stage 3) is this correct? I would think they would be able to flash to stock and flash my tune back. This is getting pretty ridiculous all for just a headlight
IF they replace your FRM module they have to code it for your car. The tech can do that the easy way by flashing/updating EVERY module in your car... of just the FRM module. Maybe talk to the tech.

Yeah, I would think your dealer could reflash your DINAN tune. But maybe they are not a DINA dealer ?

I wish you luck,
Dackel
__________________
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #14
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
39
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF they replace your FRM module they have to code it for your car. The tech can do that the easy way by flashing/updating EVERY module in your car... of just the FRM module. Maybe talk to the tech.

Yeah, I would think your dealer could reflash your DINAN tune. But maybe they are not a DINA dealer ?

I wish you luck,
Dackel
So I got my car back and according to the tech the output voltage to the low beam headlight that wasn't working was switched off?

I'm not sure how that happened but all they did was activate the output voltage and viola it was fixed. They still dinged me for the diagnostic fee but at least my headlights work now and they gave me a nice list of more crap I'm going to have to replace soon on my car

Anyway thanks for your help again Dackel and btw you have some awesome content on IG, i'm @which_mark

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone and until next time lol...
__________________
12 135i: DINAN S3, ARM 7" FMIC, MADDAD MIDPIPES, REMUS EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, ARM CP
Appreciate 1
Dackelone9007.00

      05-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9007
Rep
22,873
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post

Anyway thanks for your help again Dackel and btw you have some awesome content on IG, i'm @which_mark

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone and until next time lol...
Hahahaa... Thanks for the Insta plug.

take care,
Dackel
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #16
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
39
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

I Regret to update that my low beam malfunction has returned yet again. So I took apart my passenger side headlight again and inspected the ballast and there was a good amount of build up which I'm assuming was caused from moisture getting in. I swapped it out with a spare ballast I had which was in working condition before but still no good.

When I took my car to the dealer the first time my headlight went out, I asked them to check if my footwell control module was bad and they were able fix my headlight and confirmed my module was fine. I asked the service advisor what they did and all he could say was that they put power to the headlight? what the hell does that mean exactly? shouldn't this power up on its own once connected? does the ballast needed to be coded when you swap this? I've been driving around with one headlight for the last month and its kind of annoying. Bulb, ballast and modules are all good, what the hell gives??
__________________
12 135i: DINAN S3, ARM 7" FMIC, MADDAD MIDPIPES, REMUS EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, ARM CP
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #17
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
39
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
I would take a look at realoem and put you vin in. I know I'm e9x chassis there is a specific xenon module and there are other ballasts, not sure if it's different for e8x. I doubt it's the frm, if the frm is failing you'd notice more than just the low beam not working. Do you have access to a code reader? You could have a short circuit fault for the low beam which would mean the frm has stopped supplying power to the low beam, if that's the case the counter needs to be reset
Could you give me some tips on how to do this counter reset? I have a feeling this is what caused my low beam failure again.
__________________
12 135i: DINAN S3, ARM 7" FMIC, MADDAD MIDPIPES, REMUS EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, ARM CP
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
terced
1Addicts Addict
Canada
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: '09 E82 128i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post
Could you give me some tips on how to do this counter reset? I have a feeling this is what caused my low beam failure again.
Interested to know this aswell, having a similar problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #19
mdk135i
Registered
11
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

It's most likely the xenon control unit. Your situation sounds identical to mine. These cost $200-300 and require coding.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #20
M3nt4l
Private
19
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: BMW F20, BMW E91
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terced View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post
Could you give me some tips on how to do this counter reset? I have a feeling this is what caused my low beam failure again.
Interested to know this aswell, having a similar problem.
This sounds like a short circuit issue. On the E Series there is a short circuit counter which,when a bulb blows, after so many ignition cycles it will stop sending power to that one bulb.

Use tool32 to reset the short circuit counter and it will send power to that bulb once again.

Any more information required just ask 👍🏽
__________________
Vehicle Diagnostics and Coding
ISTA ESYS
CarPlay Activation
Sat Nav Map Updates
SLI FSC
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST