BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
joeoctane
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

Purchase car somewhere and have maintenance and service elsewhere?

First time poster. Forgive me if this has been asked before but can you purchase a vehicle at a dealership far away from your home and have the servicing and maintenance done at another location?

Reason being: the closest dealership does not have vehicle in inventory, faraway dealership does.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
You should be able to get service at any dealership.

My local dealer says that you will not get a free loaner car if you didn't buy the car from them.
      08-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
You should be able to get service at any dealership.

My local dealer says that you will not get a free loaner car if you didn't buy the car from them.
YOUR DEALER IS LYING TO YOU!

BMW pays for the loaner, and the fact that they said that to you, is completely BS!!!

I would not service there, because if they lie once, they will lie again!

What dealer is it?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Yes, you can, but they may not treat you the same way they would an existing customer...but then again, that could be a good thing!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

I've been wondering about the 'free loaner if you did not by the car there' issue as well. I ordered from a dealer out of town but will have it serviced in town (when I was ready to order the dealer in town told me he could not get an 09' while a dealer out of town was more than willing to do an allocation trade). Someone has got to have some experience with this.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
YOUR DEALER IS LYING TO YOU!

BMW pays for the loaner, and the fact that they said that to you, is completely BS!!!
How is telling him he's not going to get a loaner then not giving him one lying? If you ask me, they're being perfectly honest with him.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
How is telling him he's not going to get a loaner then not giving him one lying? If you ask me, they're being perfectly honest with him.
This be troof.

It's not that they can't afford to give you a loaner, it's that they reserve them for their better customers (the ones who bought the car there). That said, I haven't bought a single car from the dealer at which I (and my family) have our cars serviced, and I still get a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you might read what he said. Truth, it is not!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
This be troof.

It's not that they can't afford to give you a loaner, it's that they reserve them for their better customers (the ones who bought the car there). That said, I haven't bought a single car from the dealer at which I (and my family) have our cars serviced, and I still get a loaner.
When you service said car, they are to provide you a car billed to BMW, or a rental car, IF they are unavailable. The only exception might be if you are not willing to set an appointment enough in advance to allow for them to book one in your name. It doesn't matter where you bought the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

The dealership pays for the rentals, so they get to say who gets one. Nothing in the warranty says you can or will get a free loaner during service.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

If you want to be technical about it, the cars are subsidized by BMW, and then retired and sold as a used car, and the dealer sells them as CPO's at the end of the rental cycle. Hell I have even had more than one MB 230 sedan rented from Enterprise, and they were paid for by BMW, because the store ran out of cars.

The only reason you would not get one, is because one did not plan ahead enough to get put on said loaner list.

Quote:
The dealership pays for the rentals, so they get to say who gets one. Nothing in the warranty says you can or will get a free loaner during service.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
noep you can go anywhere
IN my area, the dealership / service center are at separate areas..

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

One of the guys at the local BMW CCA chapter said he goes to a more distant dealer because the service at the closest dealer, which I think is where he bought the vehicle, is not so good in his opinion. Mine has not been into any dealer, including where I purchased the car, yet (delivery was at Performance Center). I noticed the local dealer schedules service on-line, which is how I bought the car, so I will try that when the time comes (assuming it is not a break-down).

I am still learning how things work at BMW dealerships but for the other cars we purchased, the repair is separate from the new car sales. New car sales can ask the repair facility to do things for you but they usually don't get involved. The repair area is expected to turn a profit on their own. The link to new car sales is weak, in other words. If the repair area wants your business and is well run, it doesn't matter at all that you bought the car somewhere else. We've had warranty work done by a dealership other than where we bought it multiple times with no issues.

I'm curious to see how the loaner thing works out when I do need service. I have two vehicles so I don't really need a loaner but I can't drive both of them at the same time. The only reason I need a loaner is because it would be a car I could pick up and drop off at the dealership. I wouldn't mind driving other BMWs to learn more but it isn't a huge issue for me. I do not want to have to have somebody follow me to the dealership so I have a way to leave only to have to have them drop me off again when it is time to pick the car up. If the dealership offers to drop me at work and pick me up from work, it would be OK with me. Part of the problem is there is only one BMW dealership in town and they are not close to either where I live or work.

Jim
      08-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

It shouldn't matter where you bought your car. If your local dealership dings you for buying your car elsewhere by giving you poor service, that's even more reason to buy your car elsewhere, since that dealership is also likely to screw you on a purchase.

IMO - use the FAX/email method to find the best deal among dealers within driving range. Once you have a great offer, bring it to your local dealer and get them to match it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
I think that as a paying and twice returning client to my dealership, I should get priority over people who purchased from other dealers when it comes to loaners (and I always get a BMW loaner from my dealer).

If someone purchased from another dealer, why should I get a Malibu to drive and they get the brand spanking new X5?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

as others have mentioned, they will service your vehicle. whether or not you actually get a loaner car is up to the dealership that is servicing your BMW.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I think that as a paying and twice returning client to my dealership, I should get priority over people who purchased from other dealers when it comes to loaners (and I always get a BMW loaner from my dealer).

If someone purchased from another dealer, why should I get a Malibu to drive and they get the brand spanking new X5?
Loyalty is a two-way street. Why should I buy my next car from a dealership that gives me a Malibu?

Ultimately it's a law of supply and demand. Who holds the stronger card, the customer who is paying for service and may buy a car in the near future, or the dealership that is one of many in a down market?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #18
SG Spiff
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

My car is currently in for service at a dealer I did not purchase from. They offered me a loaner right off the bat; I didn't even have to ask. And you can bet that I will be recommending this dealer to anyone I know who is in the market for a new car.
Appreciate 0