BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #23
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazitp View Post
wont all these universal tuning systems (procede, etc) not take advantage of all your extra mods (DP, FMIC, etc)? I mean, after all, the tunes werent designed for them.

you'd have to get a custom tune/map made to take advantage of your mods. some of the guys on e90post have had problems with downpipes making no (or sometimes loss of) power with procede.

I know v2 is supposed to cure cancer, but unless its designed for your specific combination of mods, it seems like it wouldnt be running as well as it could until you get a custom tune.

Shiv has already said he will make a TBE V2.0 map. I'm sure it will be out within a couple months.

About which Intercooler I'll buy, I still waiting to find out from others which ends up being the best, there are still very few people running FMIC's so far, and some of them are custom. Also, with the M-kit on our 1er's, there's more room then on the 3er for FMIC surface area, so I expect better results on the 1er.

As far as weight saving mods go. And no, I'm not going to do the math, but here's my list.

-TBE, titanium
-Lightweight wheels/tires
-recaro seats
-lightweight battery
-lightweight Coilovers
-sunroof delete
-removal of back seat
-lightweight strut bar
-another 10lbs of junk around the engine that can be replaced with lightweight materials
-CF hood, trunk.

Expensive?

It will be my first major project car. Look for larger turbo's in the near future as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #24
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

My, my, my! The mod bug hasn't just bitten you, it's eating you alive. :headbang:
      09-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #25
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
My, my, my! The mod bug hasn't just bitten you, it's eating you alive. :headbang:
It was either this or buy a 911 turbo. I thought I'd save some money.

Oh and I forgot, a Custom CF driveshaft.

Can't forget the LSD, but that doesn't save weight.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #26
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #27
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ito135i View Post
Shiv has already said he will make a TBE V2.0 map. I'm sure it will be out within a couple months.

About which Intercooler I'll buy, I still waiting to find out from others which ends up being the best, there are still very few people running FMIC's so far, and some of them are custom. Also, with the M-kit on our 1er's, there's more room then on the 3er for FMIC surface area, so I expect better results on the 1er.

As far as weight saving mods go. And no, I'm not going to do the math, but here's my list.

-TBE, titanium
-recaro seats
-lightweight battery
-lightweight Coilovers
-sunroof delete
-removal of back seat
-lightweight strut bar
-another 10lbs of junk around the engine that can be replaced with lightweight materials
-CF hood, trunk.

Expensive?

It will be my first major project car. Look for larger turbo's in the near future as well.
Was thinking about the same things but as well as having the roof done in CF. Not to sure about the battery though want to make sure Im still getting the right amount of juice into the car before I spend $$$ on something that weighs less. Sticking with the same turbo's and driveshaft though . Don't have enough money to go balls to the wall.

I have some concerns about weight reduction though. The weight distribution on this car will be near 50/50 if I remember correctly. So the weight savings should try and follow an even distribution as well. Roof in CF will also help lower center of gravity a bit, plus it is f'in SEXY!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #28
blitzed310
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

-TBE, titanium
-recaro seats
-lightweight battery
-lightweight Coilovers
-sunroof delete
-removal of back seat
-lightweight strut bar
-CF hood, trunk.

Expensive?

Man I want to go all out like that! But then I forget I’m trying to save for a house, which makes me a sad enthusiast. But I'd rather have a nice house, and park my nice car in it too. I’m sure in 10 years, I'll have mine built to my taste.

I have already fully restored 2 BMWs, and rebuilt 2 others, and am in the process of rebuilding a greymarket 323i E21. I can tell you this though, take what ever you plan on spending on the car, and multiply that by 3. Its all for the love of the motorsport.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #29
Electric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Competition

Are any people with TBE's on the 335is having problems with CEL light coming on from deleting the cats or does the TBEs available come with high flow cats?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #30
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

to counter the weight ratio problem, u could relocate the battery to the rear. plus with a stagger wheel setup, the rear will be heavier, i know this is negilable but it all still adds up.

And the great thing about living in the bay, is that i can just drive to shiv's shop and have him do a custom tune for me

and as for the cel problem. the reason a cat delete would pop up a cel is because the increase in tempature. You can do a mechanical fix which would just be elongating the sensor bung so the heat doesn't get to the sensor as much.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #31
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
to counter the weight ratio problem, u could relocate the battery to the rear. plus with a stagger wheel setup, the rear will be heavier, i know this is negilable but it all still adds up.

And the great thing about living in the bay, is that i can just drive to shiv's shop and have him do a custom tune for me

and as for the cel problem. the reason a cat delete would pop up a cel is because the increase in tempature. You can do a mechanical fix which would just be elongating the sensor bung so the heat doesn't get to the sensor as much.
I'm pretty sure the batteries already in the rear? I thought it was on most bmw's it is on my 335i.

Carbon front hood/fenders will help a bit. Also, there's some junk in engine bay that can be junked. ALso with aftermarket sways, compared to stock, the rear get thicker then the front to eliminate the factory understeer. I recently found a custom lexan window company that's affordable as well called proglass. I don't think I'll do it and lose the defrost though..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #32
Italteen3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the batteries already in the rear? I thought it was on most bmw's it is on my 335i.

Carbon front hood/fenders will help a bit. Also, there's some junk in engine bay that can be junked. ALso with aftermarket sways, compared to stock, the rear get thicker then the front to eliminate the factory understeer. I recently found a custom lexan window company that's affordable as well called proglass. I don't think I'll do it and lose the defrost though..
Was thinking about Lexan as well but was not sure how it would work as far as tints, visibility, and also the defroster. Performance is definitely important but looks is up there also!

Does anyone know what the stock weight of one wheel with a filled tire is? Or atleast just the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
Was thinking about Lexan as well but was not sure how it would work as far as tints, visibility, and also the defroster. Performance is definitely important but looks is up there also!

Does anyone know what the stock weight of one wheel with a filled tire is? Or atleast just the wheel?
HEAVY!

I can't remember the specs, but I do remember when I knew the specs and I replaced the stock 18's w/run flats with non-forged 19" M6' reps and PS2's I lost about 10lbs a corner. Not kidding. Oh ya, this is on my 335i.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #34
Italteen3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
HEAVY!

I can't remember the specs, but I do remember when I knew the specs and I replaced the stock 18's w/run flats with non-forged 19" M6' reps and PS2's I lost about 10lbs a corner. Not kidding. Oh ya, this is on my 335i.
WOW! I will be going with 18" Ultraleggeras on PS2's or F1's. Now I'm wondering if 20lbs a corner is possible :thumbup:

Well with 300-400lbs off stock (praying) and 400rwhp should be a monster. Any of you in the NY area down to get a Dyno day with a tune from Shiv next year lets get it going early!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #35
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If you go for ultralight wheels and 18's you could probably do 12lbs a corner. By ultralight I mean 20lbs or less.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #36
Italteen3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If you go for ultralight wheels and 18's you could probably do 12lbs a corner. By ultralight I mean 20lbs or less.
Well I will definitely be weighing everything before and after so I know exactly what I am saving in regards to weight. Even at 40-50lbs of total savings with just wheels is a LOT. Only problem with weight savings after that is $$$:frown:

From what I have been reading over at e90post V2 seems to be worth every penny. Insane power increase, great features, ease of install, and did I mention power increase. That along with a TBE, FMIC, possible CAI, and a tune from Shiv/someone at Vishnu could produce a monster. With a good launch and nice set of tires a high 11/low 12 second 1/4 is possible!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 11:20 PM   #37
Electric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
I know how to fix it, I was wondering though if the turboback exhausts that are currently sold actually do eliminate the cat(s) or it just includes high flow ones.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 01:02 AM   #38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[quote=Tom;18381]I know how to fix it, I was wondering though if the turboback exhausts that are currently sold actually do eliminate the cat(s) or it just

Both catted and catless are currently avail.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #39
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Are any people with TBE's on the 335is having problems with CEL light coming on from deleting the cats or does the TBEs available come with high flow cats?
can u guys enlighten me a bit about exhaust mods?

1/ TBE i reckon is a type of exhasust. can u enlighten me with a few specifics?

2/ downpipes: what part of the exhuast are we talking about. is it from the exhaust manifold to ....where?

3/also, cat back exhaust: i am guessing it is behind the last set of cats, is this correct?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #40
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I think we can definitely do mid to high 11s with those mods. since there are 335i's running low 12s already.

as for the above questions:

1) TBE = turbo back exhaust. as that states, that would be down pipe to cat back.

2) the down pipe is connected to the hot side of the turbo, while the exhaust manifold is connected to the block.

3) yea.

as far as installing aftermarket exhaust manifolds and downpipes, we wont know until the car comes out. If theres no room, you're gonna have to pull the motor out.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #41
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

335ito135i,
Did you get your v2 upgrade yet? Curious minds want to know...
      09-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
335ito135i,
Did you get your v2 upgrade yet? Curious minds want to know...

I wish. Supposedly, they received 300 orders in the first eleven minutes........and I wasn't in the first eleven minutes.......or 60....more like three hours....

I'll defiantely make a thread when it happens though. I did receive my order confirmation.
Appreciate 0