BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #23
zx10guy
Colonel
2044
Rep
2,253
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Well, I was driving through the mess that is DC rush hours traffic on a Friday afternoon today. And despite having SIB 12-15-14 done on my car a little over a month ago, I had an incident of a major power delivery stumble. Felt like the throttle was slammed shut and then opened back up abruptly. Happened only one time during the crazy drive today but still. Overall, the throttle response seems to have improved some but I'm still getting these episodes like today.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #24
E90 LCI
Major
E90 LCI's Avatar
United_States
340
Rep
1,485
Posts

Drives: '13 EBII 335i Bootmod3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: boca raton, fl

iTrader: (5)

So is there a consensus on what the best remedy for idle fluctuations at stops and throttle lag is?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #25
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
786
Rep
1,944
Posts

Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas Area (McKinney), TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI
So is there a consensus on what the best remedy for idle fluctuations at stops and throttle lag is?
The S I B download completely fixed my problem
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #26
E90 LCI
Major
E90 LCI's Avatar
United_States
340
Rep
1,485
Posts

Drives: '13 EBII 335i Bootmod3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: boca raton, fl

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
The S I B download completely fixed my problem
Ok that's good to hear. What did you pay for that assuming you were out of warranty? And is it ok to get the update done with jb4 installed?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #27
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
786
Rep
1,944
Posts

Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas Area (McKinney), TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
The S I B download completely fixed my problem
Ok that's good to hear. What did you pay for that assuming you were out of warranty? And is it ok to get the update done with jb4 installed?
I don't know, the dealership originally thought it had to do with the coils. When I brought it back the same problem they did the SIB download for free. I don't know about JB4, I don't have it on my car yet
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #28
ignote
Private First Class
22
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI
So is there a consensus on what the best remedy for idle fluctuations at stops and throttle lag is?
The latest PPK flash should help as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #29
zx10guy
Colonel
2044
Rep
2,253
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Update since my last post in this thread.

The throttle lags are still an issue although it doesn't happen as often as it did before the updated flash. The idle fluctuations are also not as wild as before the updated firmware. What idle fluctuations are present stay below 1K RPM. What really caused me to seek out the updated firmware was the scary behavior of my car lurching/jumping forward when I had the brakes applied coming almost to a stop. Well, it's happened a couple of times since the updated firmware.

Don't know what else I can do about my situation. I think I've tried everything. Oh and BTW, I do have the PPK flash on my car too.

Last edited by zx10guy; 09-26-2016 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #30
sandlion
Private First Class
17
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

yeah i have the latest and, while i still have an intercooler leak, the idle fluctuation and lag are there. the lag is awful. i think, personally, as a software developer, that it's a software problem. something with dct state and perhaps adaptations. very weak.

if you unplug your maf sensor, and it runs the fixed program without using the sensor, does it work correctly?
__________________
2011 135i DCT
Space Gray Metallic | TR Motorsports 17x8 ET40 Wheels | Koni Yellows | FMIC | Charge Pipe | MHD Stage 1 | Riken Raptor 245/40ZR Tires
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #31
sandlion
Private First Class
17
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

So, mine seems much improved after fixing my leak at the intercooler pipe.

Previously I had put in a new MAF sensor, which slightly improved things.

Also,

the dealer replaced the 11-74-7-626-351 Pressure Converter (Boost Solenoid),

and flashed the latest software as of Sep-1 2016 (there is no indication of version or part #).

All of this seems to have made the difference, and for today, it's running much better. No idle fluctuations or stalling, and so far no more running too rich code. We'll see if it makes it a full week w/o issue...
__________________
2011 135i DCT
Space Gray Metallic | TR Motorsports 17x8 ET40 Wheels | Koni Yellows | FMIC | Charge Pipe | MHD Stage 1 | Riken Raptor 245/40ZR Tires
Appreciate 1
Dackelone9028.50

      10-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #32
E90 LCI
Major
E90 LCI's Avatar
United_States
340
Rep
1,485
Posts

Drives: '13 EBII 335i Bootmod3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: boca raton, fl

iTrader: (5)

Guy at BMW dealer said that if I choose to update that I have the "potential of crashing a module" anytime I update... What does that even mean?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #33
Hankdoll
First Lieutenant
Hankdoll's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: M2/M3/4/5
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: O.C., CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI View Post
Guy at BMW dealer said that if I choose to update that I have the "potential of crashing a module" anytime I update... What does that even mean?
Probably that if they brick your car, you are on your own and they won't help you with the repairs (I'm assuming he said this because you're no longer under warranty).
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #34
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9029
Rep
22,877
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI View Post
Guy at BMW dealer said that if I choose to update that I have the "potential of crashing a module" anytime I update... What does that even mean?
It means that IF one of your various ECU modules is too old... the update will abort or skip that unit. It can cause "issues" with that module working. Like say the MULF or one of the other com boxes.

I would go about getting a PPK sw update. Either from a BMW dealer or from the various remote coders IF you have an early N55. The PPK seems to solve a lot of these weird driveability issues.

IF your car's SW isn't that old... then there is a good chance the update with go smoothly.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:49 PM   #35
E90 LCI
Major
E90 LCI's Avatar
United_States
340
Rep
1,485
Posts

Drives: '13 EBII 335i Bootmod3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: boca raton, fl

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
Probably that if they brick your car, you are on your own and they won't help you with the repairs (I'm assuming he said this because you're no longer under warranty).
Yea, no warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
It means that IF one of your various ECU modules is too old... the update will abort or skip that unit. It can cause "issues" with that module working. Like say the MULF or one of the other com boxes.

I would go about getting a PPK sw update. Either from a BMW dealer or from the various remote coders IF you have an early N55. The PPK seems to solve a lot of these weird driveability issues.

IF your car's SW isn't that old... then there is a good chance the update with go smoothly.
Can the PPK cause a possible issue like the other software update? My car is a 2012 model but built October 2011.

I find it really f'd up that BMW would release an update that could break the car when it's supposed to fix something that they got wrong in the first place.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135785.50

      12-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #36
bung206
Enlisted Member
23
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: E82 135i MSPORT
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation

My car is a Oct 2010 build (2011 MY, N55) and doesn't seem to have any of these issues everyone complains about.

I was really concerned I'd hate it (after having done extensive research before hand) but really it is fine! Maybe you guys set my expectations so hilairously low that I thought it was the best thing ever once I got it?

It is not PERFECT - it behaves similar to how a M/T car would. As in - if you are slowing for the lights and almost at a complete stop but then the lights turn green and you step on the throttle, there will definitely be some hesitation there.

I can also feel the clutch engaging and then again when its fully out when I take off "slowly" from the lights. Just like a M/T car

Are you guys expecting torque converter like behaviour? Basically stand on the pedal and it accelerates gently no matter what? Ain't gonna get that with a clutch based drive train. Has anyone documented this DCT "delay" in a video? Or is these one of those "butt dyno" style things?

Also lastly, I'd like to try some of these "software updates" on my car but can it be rolled back if it goes to shit?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #37
yakuza70
Private First Class
yakuza70's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i coupe
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Thought I'd give an update: I've heard some say the throttle hesitation/lag comes back after a while but I got the software update in July (over five months ago) and there's still no signs of the throttle hesitation/lag on my car.
__________________
2011 135i DCT, M Sport, Deep Sea Blue
Appreciate 1
VRG_135785.50

      12-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #38
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
786
Rep
1,944
Posts

Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas Area (McKinney), TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza70 View Post
Thought I'd give an update: I've heard some say the throttle hesitation/lag comes back after a while but I got the software update in July (over five months ago) and there's still no signs of the throttle hesitation/lag on my car.
Same here
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:24 AM   #39
zx10guy
Colonel
2044
Rep
2,253
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bung206 View Post
My car is a Oct 2010 build (2011 MY, N55) and doesn't seem to have any of these issues everyone complains about.

I was really concerned I'd hate it (after having done extensive research before hand) but really it is fine! Maybe you guys set my expectations so hilairously low that I thought it was the best thing ever once I got it?

It is not PERFECT - it behaves similar to how a M/T car would. As in - if you are slowing for the lights and almost at a complete stop but then the lights turn green and you step on the throttle, there will definitely be some hesitation there.

I can also feel the clutch engaging and then again when its fully out when I take off "slowly" from the lights. Just like a M/T car

Are you guys expecting torque converter like behaviour? Basically stand on the pedal and it accelerates gently no matter what? Ain't gonna get that with a clutch based drive train. Has anyone documented this DCT "delay" in a video? Or is these one of those "butt dyno" style things?

Also lastly, I'd like to try some of these "software updates" on my car but can it be rolled back if it goes to shit?
Sorry but a lot of what you're saying is absurd. So that you know, my last slush box transmissioned car was over 20 years ago. All cars since then until this one had been manual transmissions. Even my motorcycles. So I know full well how a manual behaves. And this lag we're complaining about is NOT normal behavior.

If you're getting a delay when you slow to a stop light and then hit the gas, it's because you didn't bother to downshift to the appropriate gear for the speed you're going.

As far as documenting this delay, I don't have the setup to do dual videos where I'm capturing the speedometer/forward view and what I'm doing with my right foot on the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:58 AM   #40
yakuza70
Private First Class
yakuza70's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i coupe
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bung206 View Post
My car is a Oct 2010 build (2011 MY, N55) and doesn't seem to have any of these issues everyone complains about.

I was really concerned I'd hate it (after having done extensive research before hand) but really it is fine! Maybe you guys set my expectations so hilairously low that I thought it was the best thing ever once I got it?

It is not PERFECT - it behaves similar to how a M/T car would. As in - if you are slowing for the lights and almost at a complete stop but then the lights turn green and you step on the throttle, there will definitely be some hesitation there.

I can also feel the clutch engaging and then again when its fully out when I take off "slowly" from the lights. Just like a M/T car

Are you guys expecting torque converter like behaviour? Basically stand on the pedal and it accelerates gently no matter what? Ain't gonna get that with a clutch based drive train. Has anyone documented this DCT "delay" in a video? Or is these one of those "butt dyno" style things?

Also lastly, I'd like to try some of these "software updates" on my car but can it be rolled back if it goes to shit?
I drove a manual transmission for over 20 years before my 135 with the DCT so I know that there's some delay/hesitation on a manual. However, the DCT lag that people are talking about is a hesitation like a loss of power for about a full second upon pressing on the accelerator. I know that doesn't sound like a long time but when you're trying to merge or turn onto a busy street, it's not only irritating but dangerous. It's definitely not normal. Luckily, with the software update, that lag is totally gone now.
__________________
2011 135i DCT, M Sport, Deep Sea Blue
Appreciate 1
VRG_135785.50

      12-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #41
sandlion
Private First Class
17
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

My lag has also been gone for a couple of months now after the software update.

if you are still getting lag after the software update, I would reccomend getting a nitrogen leak test. I had a huge crack in my intercooler pipe (all the way across the pipe). no codes unless I really drove it hard, but the 1-2 second lag when rolling and trying to accelerate. fixed the leak and the lag went away.
__________________
2011 135i DCT
Space Gray Metallic | TR Motorsports 17x8 ET40 Wheels | Koni Yellows | FMIC | Charge Pipe | MHD Stage 1 | Riken Raptor 245/40ZR Tires
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #42
zx10guy
Colonel
2044
Rep
2,253
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Might have to look into this leak theory. But I don't think that's my issue especially since I also have the lurching problem. It's much better since the latest software update but I've had a few instances where the lurching came back. Not as pronounced but still makes itself known it's around. I tell you between the throttle delay which as others have indicated is downright dangerous when trying to merge into an open spot in traffic and the car trying to jump forward with my foot on the brake makes for some severe butt pucker moments.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:57 PM   #43
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Overpar56's Avatar
27
Rep
638
Posts

Drives: Me nuts
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Skyline, Chile

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza70 View Post
I drove a manual transmission for over 20 years before my 135 with the DCT so I know that there's some delay/hesitation on a manual. However, the DCT lag that people are talking about is a hesitation like a loss of power for about a full second upon pressing on the accelerator. I know that doesn't sound like a long time but when you're trying to merge or turn onto a busy street, it's not only irritating but dangerous. It's definitely not normal. Luckily, with the software update, that lag is totally gone now.

Exactly. The update fixed it. I had PPK1 first and still lagged. The update did the trick. Over 1 year and still fine.
__________________

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #44
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
796
Rep
1,799
Posts

Drives: 135i N55 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

My car lags only when I'm not driving it in anger. If I get mad about the lag I just drive harder...problem fixed. Oh the trans does start to lag a shitload on downshifts once you beat it at the track but yeah it gets hot.

Also, lol @ "I've driven cars with conventional manual gearboxes and motos with sequential so I KNOW how an unrelated, completely automated manual with TWO OUTPUT SHAFTS and TWO MILLION LINES OF SOFTWARE CODE is supposed to work." Well, maybe so, but the cited experience is really irrelevant, because most anyone whether they've driven a car, bike, snowmobile, jetski or just walk their dog (advanced biological "machine") down the street will tell you that the machine should do exactly as you ask, exactly WHEN you ask it. For various reasons (probably don't want to dilute the M cars, although maybe they do this BS too) our DCT is unable to always function so straightforwardly.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST