BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #67
rainman128
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Is there a Dinan Mod for the 128?...insurance is killer
      03-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #68
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn View Post
^ Let us know if you hear anything. I am excited about the Dinan tune, but I'm absolutely not excited about turning this car into an Evo or something that explodes around 4k. I'd sacrifice mpg or total gain for a slightly more linear curve.
I think we're talking about two different things. An evo: You stomp the gas and get zero hp until higher rpm.. then the one turbo hits hard. The dinan software: You go half throttle and get slightly less boost because the throttle is opening less than stock. You stomp the 135i pedal and the two small turbos will spool up fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #69
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
I think we're talking about two different things. An evo: You stomp the gas and get zero hp until higher rpm.. then the one turbo hits hard. The dinan software: You go half throttle and get slightly less boost because the throttle is opening less than stock. You stomp the 135i pedal and the two small turbos will spool up fast.
That's it. You're doing a great job describing it and u don't even have the car yet! Much less the tune. Thanks.
      03-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #70
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

If it truly is an issue with thottle response then fine. Many people have described the problem as being associated with rpm. Mashing down the pedal from 5 mph causes a big surge at 3000 rpms. That sounds awfully evo-ish and not related to throttle response. Which is it?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #71
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
thanks coolguy for your post! i might call them myself to express interest.

i should point out that it really isn't that big a deal. as the driver you just have to learn to depress the pedal more than you used to. that's my theory as to why people hated it the first day and after a week or two wouldn't take 2000 for someone to remove it.

anyway i'd like to have the car a little more caffeinated and jumpy down low but i can get used to flooring it if the update doesn't materialize.
I went to my bmw dealer today for installing a couple of accessories. When i was talking to him about the dinan issue, he said though dinan is going to give the update for free, still the dealer has to charge for the tech time again. I thought it was a little bummer. I'll talk to dinan again on Monday to check the exact time frame on when they'll be releasing the update.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #72
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Great updates on the Dinan reflash. Thanks for all of the clarification.

By the time my 135 is delivered, this should be sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #73
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

just tested this and it is a throttle depression issue and NOT a lack of torque down low. You just have to floor it. Torque comes well before rpms increase.
      03-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #74
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
just tested this and it is a throttle depression issue and NOT a lack of torque down low. You just have to floor it. Torque comes well before rpms increase.
Thanks for the real world info. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #75
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's it. You're doing a great job describing it and u don't even have the car yet! Much less the tune. Thanks.
Hehe.. throttle by wire has been out for quite a few years. I've owned three cars so far that had it.. and two of the turbo cars also had aftermarket software upgrades. I'm not concerned about it at all with dinan. I'm sure one fine tune software adjustment is all they need to make everyone happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #76
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post

It's called "throttle response"!

Since BMW's don't actually have a mechanical linkage to an actual throttle, how deep you press into your gas pedal can be programed to do more or less.

Dinan programmed the throttle to be linear, meaning it is like a flat ramp, while BMW had it more like an arc.

Nothing is being changed with the engine or the gas pedal, only how it reacts to your input.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #77
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

well i'm really liking the Dinan tune now. it's just a matter of developing a heavier foot.

on the upside, the less sensitive throttle allows for greater control and smoothness with an increase in power. when you want that butt-in-the-seat feel just go close to WOT.

it's pretty darn good just the way it is. i'd consider the update software but it certainly isn't a necessity from my point of view. ymmv.
      03-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #78
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
This is not to say that the Dinan enhancement doesn’t deliver the horsepower and torque increases as advertised—it just takes a more aggressive pedal-to-the-floor effort to elicit some jaw-dropping acceleration!
I don't quite follow what aggressiveness to the pedal has to do with tq per rpm? If the tq (which should be MORE than stock, at least 60 more) at any given RPM is HIGHER, why the lag? If boost is reduced to 10-15% at 1-2K RPMs for example, then wouldn't the tq numbers resemble that for the given RPM range? Are you saying that if you push the pedal-to-the-floor more aggressively, the 'real' tq numbers will be applied? And likewise, if you push it lightly, it won't apply the tq?

Or are you saying that the boost is reduced to 10-15% when not WOT? In that case, then shouldn't this problem be non-existant in a 'race' launch when users ARE going WOT?

That doesn't seem to align with previous posts with people launching.. perhaps they weren't being aggressive enough?

:iono:

Please explain to me, as I really am confused here.
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #79
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i
So the 'lag' from the tune is a matter of the driver, and not the software? Does pushing the pedal, or stomping it, mean the lag won't be there, or the lag will be there on a shorter duration. Are we all in agreement that the Dinan flash causes lag (more than stock) on the throttle response, however little there may appear to be? (depending on how hard you push)
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #80
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoochio View Post
I don't quite follow what aggressiveness to the pedal has to do with tq per rpm? If the tq (which should be MORE than stock, at least 60 more) at any given RPM is HIGHER, why the lag? If boost is reduced to 10-15% at 1-2K RPMs for example, then wouldn't the tq numbers resemble that for the given RPM range? Are you saying that if you push the pedal-to-the-floor more aggressively, the 'real' tq numbers will be applied? And likewise, if you push it lightly, it won't apply the tq?

That doesn't seem to align with previous posts with people launching.. perhaps they weren't being aggressive enough?

:iono:

Please explain to me, as I really am confused here.

It has nothing to do with it!

Coolguy is just trying his best to describe what is taking place and is mixing apples and oranges is all.

BTW, (again) the "lag" they are wrongly labeling is not engine lag, but "throttle response". They are saying that with the Dinan tune, it also remaps the throttle to be less responsive, because of the added torque. Many people didn't like this so Dinan will be releasing a newer tune that adds a more stock-like throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #81
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

There is no lag if you mean that lag is a delay between pedal depression and engine response. Engine response is immediate. The pedal just isn't as jumpy and sensitive ... but all the numbers are there. All I'm saying is that you learn to have a heavier foot. The engine sounds great (mean) and there's amazing power. No lag by my definition. :w00t:
      03-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #82
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Personal opinions aside, for the cost which is the better performance tune: the turbo tuner ($595) or the Dinan reflash ($1995 + labor). I realize that the reflash has better stats, but are they $1500 better and can you tell the difference while driving. I want to be sure that my money is spent the best way possible. Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #83
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Personal opinions aside, for the cost which is the better performance tune: the turbo tuner ($595) or the Dinan reflash ($1995 + labor). I realize that the reflash has better stats, but are they $1500 better and can you tell the difference while driving. I want to be sure that my money is spent the best way possible. Any help is appreciated.
I doubt people pay the extra for the Dinan tune because it squeezes out the last drops of horsepower. In fact, IIRC it has less boost than some others. People pay the extra for the no-piggy-back solution and engineering that goes into it (controlling water pump, etc). The warranty including consequential damages also is a plus.
      03-31-2008, 12:31 AM   #84
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135I

This may be a lil off subject and I'm sorry, but does any one know if they give you a discount on the Dinan mod at the dealership if you're a BMWCCA member?

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #85
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I doubt people pay the extra for the Dinan tune because it squeezes out the last drops of horsepower. In fact, IIRC it has less boost than some others. People pay the extra for the no-piggy-back solution and engineering that goes into it (controlling water pump, etc). The warranty including consequential damages also is a plus.
Exactly.. Dinan is the only tuner to offer a warranty so you know it's in their best interest to not push the turbos too hard. I have no problem with "only" 384hp from a conservative tune that I can drive to the dealer at any time.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 01:18 AM   #86
totallydude
Im gonna do that for sure
Rep
Drives:

I was thinking about doing this, but Im going to wait a little longer before I go ahead.

I was planning on taking the 2 small turbos off and putting one big one on, and then of course running different software to support this setup
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 04:39 AM   #87
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Having been in the car for a few days, experiencing the not-inconsiderable torque, I am not convinced an old fart such as myself is realistically 'up to the task' of controlling even more power than what the car delivers right 'out of the box'. There are times when the fire-breathing little monster scares the hell out of me. In a good way.:wink:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #88
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallydude View Post
I was thinking about doing this, but Im going to wait a little longer before I go ahead.

I was planning on taking the 2 small turbos off and putting one big one on, and then of course running different software to support this setup

What outcome are you trying to achieve in doing that mod?
Appreciate 0