BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Galloway28
Rep
Drives:

Rusty Brake Discs

Hi there my first post i have just purchased a 120i m sport about a week old now. Just wanted to ask if any of you have had a problem with new brake discs going rusty. I don’t mean the part were the pads touch but the hub part just wondering if i should ask for new ones or warranty or just paint over the top myself. Thanks for your time.

Ja
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

I wouldn't advise painting over any type of rust.. Are you talking about the rotors looking like they have rust on the surface? You certainly shouldn't paint the surfaces on your rotors.. :eyebulge:
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Painting-over rust protects any rust present from neutralization. Active oxidation/rust must be removed, neutralized, then protected. I work in the aircraft-overhaul industry, I know what I'm talking about, take heed. A visit to the dealer might be a prudent event in your immediate future.:wink:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 04:16 AM   #4
Chop79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surname View Post
Painting-over rust protects any rust present from neutralization. Active oxidation/rust must be removed, neutralized, then protected. I work in the aircraft-overhaul industry, I know what I'm talking about, take heed. A visit to the dealer might be a prudent event in your immediate future.:wink:
So the dealer can do this? Everything rusts in the rainly North West. Not cool!
      05-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
Galloway28
Rep
Drives:

Hi thanks for your replies, i don’t mean the surface on the disc that gets worn. Take a look at these pictures, also notice the wheels also look bad from were the rubbish is coming off. This however can be cleaned off
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #6
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Ja:

I noticed this same thing on a variety of BMW models in two dealerships, and that's in sunny Florida, USA. My suspicion is that the rust stems from the car storage location in Europe (or perhaps at the delivery point in the new country) being subjected to a heavy storm with much salt-laden rain lashing the parking area. As one example, there are huge outdoor storage areas adjacent to the French port of Calais, and a North Sea storm could easily bring much salt-laden rain ashore there.

I realize this isn't of any help to you, but if I was presented with this at delivery time I would decline to accept it. Surname's professional airframe experience notwithstanding, I too have dealt with corrosion issues on aircraft and boats and 'neutralizing' surface rust followed by some kind of surface coating is often, ultimately, a maintenance task vs. a one-time fix. I think that would be especially true with a car's wheels, which are forever seeing blasting road grit and road water full of chemicals.

Were I you, I'd submit this as a warranty claim with the goal of new wheels. Please keep us posted on what you hear from BMW.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
Galloway28
Rep
Drives:

That was actually alot of help I will talk to the dealership tomorrow and see what they say as the car is 5 days old from brand new I think its unacceptable. I will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
Galloway28
Rep
Drives:

Spoke to the dealer today and i think he was trying to say that some new cars have it some dont unlucky pal. I wasn't having any of it so im taking it this week, so i hope they come to there senses.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 05:18 AM   #9
Galloway28
Rep
Drives:

Went to the dealer friday he started by saying the normal. That it is not a BMW problem "there all like that" and after a trip around the parking lot i could see even brand new 330's have the same problem but i was'nt going away without something. in the end i got a respray out of them due in next wednesday so ill let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

what is a "respray" and how does that neutralize the existing rust? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Galloway28
Rep
Drives:

Well the salesman took me to see someone in paint and said he has done a few of these, he will strip off what is on there now rub it back treat it with the necessary chemicals "prevent further rust" and then spray the correct coating over the top. He said others he had done 1-3 years down the line have still never had a problem. Although they probably would have replaced the discs, I thought that this was better than nothing and also that other people who have the same problem can get the same treatment. I have had the car from the factory a week ago and for BMW to do nothing would have been unacceptable to me.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
Galloway28
Rep
Drives:

Took the car in today and was done in a few hours. Its a great job now perfect no rust. Just to let everyone know so you can hopfully get the same treatment if you have this problem. I will post picture if anyone needs them...
Appreciate 0