BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #23
comtrang
Workin' hard
11
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: '08 135i in AW/Terracotta
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (1)

I don't think it weighs quite that much. The suspension pieces are the heaviest part. I worked at Rallysport Direct and took pictures of these kits when they first came in which meant pulling every single thing out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #24
mimtbr
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: White 135 6speed M pkg
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Detroit Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
I don't think it weighs quite that much. The suspension pieces are the heaviest part.
Your right. The front strut assembly is lighter, but the rear is heavier due to the control arm change. Were not talking TONS, it's a few pounds here or there.
The tank is extremely light, aluminum. I made the brackets from alum. so not much there, either. The pump is lighter than I thought it would be. I'll try and get numbers. The valve block is not that heavy either. The air hose I made is very light plastic tubing.

A vid of my nephew letting the air out

Last edited by mimtbr; 06-26-2014 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #25
addict
Second Lieutenant
addict's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 2010 e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Juan, Tx.

iTrader: (0)

Nice to see that airlift finally relased the rear kit i had the Airforce sleeve bags and it was awful had to have 100+ psi in the rears to have a drivable ride height and even with koni adjustables in the rear it was still way too soft. I dont have my 135i anymore but plan on getting an e90 in the near future to do equip with the new airlift rear setup. Any idea on official release date to the public?
__________________

INSTAGRAM:@add1ct
2010 E90 335I : FBO | M Sport Conversion | FK Streetline | 19" Apex Arc-8
(SOLD)2013 335i M Sport : FBO/Meth | BC Racing coilovers | 20" BBS RSII
(SOLD) 2011 135i : FBO | Airlift suspension | CCW LM5
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #26
mimtbr
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: White 135 6speed M pkg
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Detroit Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict View Post
Any idea on official release date to the public?
Finally hit the website!
http://www.airliftperformance.com/ve...-1-series-e8x/

78510 - Performance Front Kit
78610 - Performance Rear Kit
27671 - AutoPilot V2 (1/4″ Air Line, 4 Gallon Tank, Viair 380 Compressor)
Part #: 98010 full kit
I checked Jegs, not up yet.

Notes: I have the 2.5gal tank (Part #: 12958) in my car. The 4gal would not fit on the side where I have mine. Everything else is the same.

Here is a list of basic control system part weights:
Compressor = 8.88 lbs
Manifold = 2.90 lbs
Isolator brackets = 0.78 lbs
Display = 0.22 lbs
Wiring harness = 2.25
Alum tank = 3.77
Fittings = 2 lbs
Air Line = 1 lb
TOTAL = 21.8 lbs

In most cases, it's in the trunk. Also, with most vehicles, this weight gain offsets the weight lost on the conventional steel spring/shock components.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #27
Freon
Major
United_States
68
Rep
1,053
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (3)

Donk/stance mods being marketed as "performance" parts for autocrossers? New one on me...

Same thing (same product for Imprezas) was attempted on a local Subaru forum and the poor guy got laughed out of the forum because the forum had dozens of experienced autocrossers on it. Not as many on this board (despite being an international forum).
__________________
2009 BMW 135i 6MT Sport, AFE intake, Cobb AP, Apex 18x8.5+9.5, 255/275 PSS
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #28
R6EATER
Second Lieutenant
R6EATER's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando, Fl

iTrader: (0)

great and sick write up!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #29
project jayden
First Lieutenant
55
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: murrieta

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 135i  [5.00]
very nice right up! I actually bought the kit as well due to your detailed review. Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #30
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
TheSt|G's Avatar
United_States
253
Rep
4,736
Posts

Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Donk/stance mods being marketed as "performance" parts for autocrossers? New one on me...

Same thing (same product for Imprezas) was attempted on a local Subaru forum and the poor guy got laughed out of the forum because the forum had dozens of experienced autocrossers on it. Not as many on this board (despite being an international forum).
I've had a number of the "air" people tell me on this forum that there is no noticeable difference in performance.

So it looks like the net weight change was a gain of 16lbs.
__________________
2005 E46 M3 Interlagos/Cinnamon with Sunroof Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #31
fe1rx
Captain
684
Rep
615
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i, 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I've had a number of the "air" people tell me on this forum that there is no noticeable difference in performance.

So it looks like the net weight change was a gain of 16lbs.
To lower you have to go softer and to raise it you have to go harder. This is the exact opposite of what people do with real springs (for good reason).

Also, air springs are by definition extremely progressive (non-linear). Again the opposite of what is desirable in a "performance" application. As the OP points out he needs to crank the damping up and lower the car to get best lap times. This is more nonsense from a performance or ride quality point of view.

An air suspension that supplements a conventional spring to adjust ride height makes some technical sense in some applications, because the non-linearity introduced by the air spring is small relative to the total spring rate.

A pure air spring suspension has no place any car worth driving on a track.

I am reminded of a cat that drags its ass on the carpet after having a crap when I see a car on deflated air springs. Correction, I am reminded of the crap it leaves on the carpet.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #32
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
TheSt|G's Avatar
United_States
253
Rep
4,736
Posts

Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
To lower you have to go softer and to raise it you have to go harder. This is the exact opposite of what people do with real springs (for good reason).

Also, air springs are by definition extremely progressive (non-linear). Again the opposite of what is desirable in a "performance" application. As the OP points out he needs to crank the damping up and lower the car to get best lap times. This is more nonsense from a performance or ride quality point of view.

An air suspension that supplements a conventional spring to adjust ride height makes some technical sense in some applications, because the non-linearity introduced by the air spring is small relative to the total spring rate.

A pure air spring suspension has no place any car worth driving on a track.

I am reminded of a cat that drags its ass on the carpet after having a crap when I see a car on deflated air springs. Correction, I am reminded of the crap it leaves on the carpet.
Well put as always.
__________________
2005 E46 M3 Interlagos/Cinnamon with Sunroof Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #33
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
andrey_gta's Avatar
Canada
256
Rep
4,053
Posts

Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimtbr View Post
What wheel is this - rotiform?
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, 3.73 diff, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: //M front arm, M3 rack, e36M lip Wishlist: Coils, n55 mnts, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #34
Iron Man
Major
Iron Man's Avatar
United_States
178
Rep
1,024
Posts

Drives: N/A
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
I am reminded of a cat that drags its ass on the carpet after having a crap when I see a car on deflated air springs. Correction, I am reminded of the crap it leaves on the carpet.
100% in agreement.

Slammed cars look like total crap to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #35
mimtbr
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: White 135 6speed M pkg
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Detroit Area

iTrader: (0)

Road America BMWCCA Oktoberfast 2014 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Donk/stance mods being marketed as "performance" parts for autocrossers? New one on me...
"Donk" was a new one on me. Had to look that up...
http://jalopnik.com/5974931/your-gui...-culture-donks

Road America BMWCCA Oktoberfast 2014 update:
I did 6 trackdays this year, Gingerman, Waterford Hills, and two days at Road America (a bucketlist item). Two sets of front 245 Hankook C71's, and one set of front Carbotec XP10s are now smoked.
Switched from 275 Hoosier rears to 245 Hankook C71s (which allowed the rear to be lowered 1").

Road America...holy crap the place is fast and awesome! Mike Clemens was the organizer (1M).
His car never ran right all weekend, but mine finally ran great! (Does the ECU need to "learn" after the COBB flash?)
I got down to 2:47. Which is 11sec slower than Mike's 2:36. I heard James Clay ran a 2:34 in a 135. If you have never been to RA (and I had'nt), the track is 4miles and 14 turns.
4miles...
Good times had, and I drove the car home, which is more than can be said by three M3 and one corvette drivers...
Could I go faster? Maybe. The whole streetcar thing at that speed is a bit nutty. No rollcage, stock seat, stock seatbelt. I learned a ton about the track, so maybe next time.

The "air experience" continues.


Next to a Ferrari 333sp...



Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
What wheel is this - rotiform?
Yes. Airlift company stuff. Not mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #36
alexc93
Colonel
United_States
339
Rep
2,393
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK - FL

iTrader: (7)

this kit is $5,000 plus installation....a KW V3 kit plus camber plates, plus bushings, plus sway bars, plus toe arms doesnt even cost this much and will perform 100x better, just my opinion but this seems absurd from a handling performance perspective
__________________
2014 M235i || 8ZF || Black Sapphire Metallic || Black Dakota Leather
|| 30% Llumar CTX || IND Front Reflectors || BMW Performance Grilles || Light Weight Front Lip || JB4 || MPI Downpipe || ER Charge Pipe ||
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #37
fe1rx
Captain
684
Rep
615
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i, 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimtbr View Post
Road America BMWCCA Oktoberfast 2014 update:
I did 6 trackdays this year, Gingerman, Waterford Hills, and two days at Road America (a bucketlist item). Two sets of front 245 Hankook C71's, and one set of front Carbotec XP10s are now smoked.
Switched from 275 Hoosier rears to 245 Hankook C71s (which allowed the rear to be lowered 1").

Road America...holy crap the place is fast and awesome! Mike Clemens was the organizer (1M).
His car never ran right all weekend, but mine finally ran great! (Does the ECU need to "learn" after the COBB flash?)
I got down to 2:47. Which is 11sec slower than Mike's 2:36. I heard James Clay ran a 2:34 in a 135. If you have never been to RA (and I had'nt), the track is 4miles and 14 turns.
4miles...
Good times had, and I drove the car home, which is more than can be said by three M3 and one corvette drivers...
Could I go faster? Maybe. The whole streetcar thing at that speed is a bit nutty. No rollcage, stock seat, stock seatbelt. I learned a ton about the track, so maybe next time.

The "air experience" continues.
Despite my disdain for "air", I applaud you for taking it to the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #38
mimtbr
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: White 135 6speed M pkg
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Detroit Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
this kit is $5,000 plus installation....a KW V3 kit plus camber plates, plus bushings, plus sway bars, plus toe arms doesnt even cost this much and will perform 100x better, just my opinion but this seems absurd from a handling performance perspective
Your math is a bit off.
$2,699.40 (Part #98010) one way adj. damper air setup with control system
http://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-98010.../dp/B00NWIX60S

From Tirerack:
KW Variant 3 Coil-Over Front and Rear fitment
for 2009 BMW 135i Coupe
$2,400.00
SPC BMW Ft Adj Upper Strut Mt Front fitment
for 2009 BMW 135i Coupe
$415.00
Total: $2,815.00 for a two way adj. damper coil over setup with camber plates
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #39
Fifty3bags
Captain
321
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chattanooga, TN

iTrader: (2)

Pretty cool. I finally got my air installed not too long ago, and do have to say that the ride is 10x better than on coilovers. As far as track performance goes, I'm not too sure, but I keep seeing numbers that state that air has pretty good times on the track comparatively.

Those wheels are Rotiforms IND wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #40
alexc93
Colonel
United_States
339
Rep
2,393
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK - FL

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimtbr View Post
Your math is a bit off.
$2,699.40 (Part #98010) one way adj. damper air setup with control system
http://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-98010.../dp/B00NWIX60S

From Tirerack:
KW Variant 3 Coil-Over Front and Rear fitment
for 2009 BMW 135i Coupe
$2,400.00
SPC BMW Ft Adj Upper Strut Mt Front fitment
for 2009 BMW 135i Coupe
$415.00
Total: $2,815.00 for a two way adj. damper coil over setup with camber plates
My price on the airlift kit was directly from air-lift's website..
__________________
2014 M235i || 8ZF || Black Sapphire Metallic || Black Dakota Leather
|| 30% Llumar CTX || IND Front Reflectors || BMW Performance Grilles || Light Weight Front Lip || JB4 || MPI Downpipe || ER Charge Pipe ||
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #41
Fifty3bags
Captain
321
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chattanooga, TN

iTrader: (2)

Directly from airlift will be more expensive for some reason. Bagriders has the full Autopilot V2 kit on their site for ~$3500 (without any discounts, they have a monthly discount that fairly often has the v2 management package).

http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...ANAGEMENT.html
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #42
bluephobic(1)
Inspiring the youth of tommorow...
United_States
27
Rep
333
Posts

Drives: AllTheTQ's
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ashburn VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to bluephobic(1) Send a message via Yahoo to bluephobic(1)
I live in VA and the roads are terrible I have considered air, but in the end decided it was a terrible idea.. ill just stick with my properly designed and performing R+T setup...oh and slammed cars are hella Ghey....Hate u VW's ....end rant
__________________
E82 135i Jet Black over coral red
E39 Dinan 540i manual Topaz blue over beige
F15 X5 35D Mineral white metallic over Mocha Nappa
991.1 911 GT3 Guards red over black alcantara
P13 570GT MSO Volcano Red over saddle tan
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #43
Fifty3bags
Captain
321
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chattanooga, TN

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluephobic(1) View Post
I live in VA and the roads are terrible I have considered air, but in the end decided it was a terrible idea.. ill just stick with my properly designed and performing R+T setup...oh and slammed cars are hella Ghey....Hate u VW's ....end rant
Are you claiming air isn't properly designed and that's why you decided against it or the price?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #44
mimtbr
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: White 135 6speed M pkg
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Detroit Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimtbr View Post
Below is cost compare to electronically adj. damping and coil over kits:
AirLift Performance Kit (BMW E46, very similar kit) http://www.airliftperformance.com/ap...opean/bmw-e46/
2 Front Airsprings / 1-way adj. damping struts (WITH CAMBER PLATES)
2 Rear Airsprings and 1-way adj. dampers
Pump, tank, electronically controlled air manifold, wiring
Jegs $3074
http://www.jegs.com/i/Air+Lift/022/95746/10002/-1

KW DDC coilover kit (BMW E90) http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_ddc.php
2 coil springs and struts with electronically controlled damping (NO CAMBER PLATES!!)
2 coil springs and adjusters, shocks with electronically controlled damping
ECU, wiring
Bavarian Autosport $3850
http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...Fa4-Mgod4EYAgQ

Bilstein EDC Coilover (BMW E90)
2 coil springs and struts with electronically controlled damping (NO CAMBER PLATES!!)
2 coil springs and adjusters, shocks with electronically controlled damping
ECU, wiring
Turner $2436
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-13...FYlDMgodvk4AlA
add Vorschlag camber plates http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...reettrack.aspx
($474) and your at $2910

And another very nice coilover:
Ohlins Road and Track (BMW E90 M3)
2 coil springs / 1-way adj. damping struts (NO CAMBER PLATES!!)
2 coil springs and adjusters / 1-way adj. damping shocks
GMP $2969
http://gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?...ail&PID=253776

I've considered all of these amazing performance setups. A proper motorsport suspension could be twice those amounts.

This is not something you'd put on a trailer'd racecar. But if you use your car everyday, are sick of scraping over small bumps, run it hard on the track, auto-x, and rally-x; it offers great benefits, with less compromises.

A strong product. Something to consider for any dual purpose performance car. It's already changed my preconceptions of air suspension. The right engineering can do that.
I was informed today, that Amazon's pricing is a bit askew...As was mentioned, ~$3K and change seems to be a more accurate number.

From the f30 forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimtbr View Post
Haters (of which I was one)....Air suspension is just more of an experience...
For instance:
I raise up for for car washes...better than scraping....
I raise up in parking structures or lead in to gas stations.
I raise the rear when I put 4 race tires, tools, jack, and 10gal of race gas in the trunk...
I drop it down on the freeway to get better gas mileage....
Raise it up when there's two feet of snow on the road...
You almost have to experience it to believe it. I adj. WAY more than I thought I would.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST