BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Keep the 261Ms and do the winter/summer swap every 6 months 1 5.26%
Keep the 261Ms for summer and buy 17" wheels and tires for winter 10 52.63%
Keep the 261Ms for winter and buy new summer wheels and tires next spring 6 31.58%
Sell the 261Ms and buy new winter AND summer wheels/tires 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

08-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Vaaaan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 135i

What to do for a winter/summer combo

I know this is a subjective topic but I have a few days before I have to make a decision so I figured I'd ask you guys. I've been racking my mind over these four options and I can't decide.

I'm tired of the hassle and cost of swapping tires twice a year but I'm not sure I want to spend another $600-$800 on winter wheels, and I'm not sure if I'll have $1200-$1500 for decent summer wheels next spring (probably will but also interested in other mods). I really like the looks of the 261Ms but they are all pretty badly curb rashed, so they would work well for winter wheels, but living in Wisconsin and having to drive to work every day and 30 miles to school 3 times a week I'd like to get some skinny 17s on there. Whichever option I choose I'll be switching to non run-flats and a tire repair kit.
      08-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaaaan View Post
I know this is a subjective topic but I have a few days before I have to make a decision so I figured I'd ask you guys. I've been racking my mind over these four options and I can't decide.
Just curious what decision you made. I'm going through a similar situation. I don't know if it's worth getting a dedicated winter wheel/tire set.

The positives I see are. 1.) being able to change to winters without going to the tire shop, 2.) Having an extra spare when I get a leak, 3.) being about to just take the wheels themselves to the tire shop when i need new rubber. 4.) I can explore if non-runflats are to my liking, (i actually like the OE pirelli pzeros i have on there now).

But here are the negatives i see for myself: 1.) cost wheels + tires + sensors ~ $1400 2.) Not sure if the different wheels will look as good as the stocks. 3.) postponing my performance exhaust purchase
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Vaaaan
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm leaning towards getting 17's for winter and deciding next spring if I feel like investing in new summer wheels. Right now I have a slow leak in one of my runflats but it hasn't gotten below 25psi yet (and that takes about a week from 40psi) so I'm hoping it will last me another couple weeks.

The price would pretty much pay for itself in two years if I buy new winter tires at that point and factor in the cost of remounting twice a year.

Due to all the curb rash on the 261Ms I'd like to go with option 3, but I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to comfortably afford buying new summer rims in the spring without cheaping out. If I go with winter 17s I can at least wait till spring to see if I want to invest in new summer wheels or just keep the 261Ms for summer.

So basically, I want to do option 3, but I'll probably do option 2 and decide later if I want to switch to option 4. Option 1 is pretty much out of the question.
      08-22-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I would only buy 17s if you know that you are likely to hit some killer potholes, but then how long do you leave them on for, until someone repairs the roads?
Put winters on the OEMs. If you can't afford new wheels yet just swap the tires for a year. This option keeps you running in winter AND lets you eventually do an upgrade to a higher performance package for warm weather.
      08-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaaaan View Post

I'm tired of the hassle and cost of swapping tires twice a year but I'm not sure I want to spend another $600-$800 on winter wheels, and I'm not sure if I'll have $1200-$1500 for decent summer wheels next spring (probably will but also interested in other mods). I really like the looks of the 261Ms but they are all pretty badly curb rashed, so they would work well for winter wheels, but living in Wisconsin and having to drive to work every day and 30 miles to school 3 times a week I'd like to get some skinny 17s on there. Whichever option I choose I'll be switching to non run-flats and a tire repair kit.
i'm living the same exact dilemma...

don't know whether to buy 17" tires+wheels for the winter or if i should just put winter tires on my stock 264s and get some VMRs and summer tires in the summer. i'd like to go with the latter but i don't know if it'll fit my budget.. especially since i'm dying to get my hands on that performance exhaust for the N55... which 17" wheels were you looking at?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
gavolant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
Just curious what decision you made. I'm going through a similar situation. I don't know if it's worth getting a dedicated winter wheel/tire set.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Vaaaan
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobm View Post
which 17" wheels were you looking at?
I'm probably gonna go with the Elbrus I06's or I02's.

My leaky tire seems to be holding up ok so I'm going to keep postponing the decision as long as possible.