BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #1
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Replacing iDriver Controller and surrounding trim

The iDrive Controller in my 1M is starting to look very worn so I've purchased a new one online, as well as the piece of plastic trim that surrounds the controller.

Can anyone give me basic tips/instructions on how to remove the surrounding plastic trim and the controller without doing any damage?

Thanks!!

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
stormchaser7
Private
Rep

Get a decent set of trim removal tools. I-drive controller should just pop out. There are 4 clips that hold it in place. Base trim should come out by using a thin trim tool to pry up the trim.
      02-10-2018, 03:47 AM   #3
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks!

Yup, in the end I was worrying about nothing. With a bit of care the trim around the iDrive Controller just pops off. Easy.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive View Post
Thanks!

Yup, in the end I was worrying about nothing. With a bit of care the trim around the iDrive Controller just pops off. Easy.
Hey NPVPositive, is this the trim piece you removed? Mine is scratched so I thought I'd replace it. Expensive little piece of plastic ($110 at the dealer / $87 at getbmwparts).

Part number 51-16-9-181-071

Anyway, the trim piece just pops off with some gentle leverage using a plastic trim removal tool and you snap the new one in?

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
GiorgioE82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive View Post
Thanks!

Hey NPVPositive, is this the trim piece you removed? Mine is scratched so I thought I'd replace it. Expensive little piece of plastic ($110 at the dealer / $87 at getbmwparts).

Part number 51-16-9-181-071

Anyway, the trim piece just pops off with some gentle leverage using a plastic trim removal tool and you snap the new one in?

That's the piece. I replaced mine as well when I bought my car a year ago as it was scratched up. Took only a few mins of DIY
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50