BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-29-2020, 02:05 AM   #1
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Best Recaro seats for our cars?

There are some old threads from many years ago, but just wondering who has done the Recaros more recently? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:52 AM   #2
BadakVT
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M AW

I just installed two different Recaro buckets (Driver: 5'9" - 170lbs)

1) Recaro RS-G (Japan Model) + Recaro Side Mounts and Recaro Slider: Perfect sitting height and width.
2) Recaro Pole Position + Recaro Side Mounts and Recaro Slider: Sitting height too high, width too wide for me.

Ended up putting the Pole Position on the passenger side because it was just too high even at the lowest setting. Definitely more roomy than the RS-G.
Just don't pair the Pole Position with original Recaro slider. I think most people use aftermarket mount and slider and those are more flexible/adjustable.

Obviously rear seat access is gone by installing these buckets.
      05-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Thanks BadakVT

Anyone know, what seats keep rear access?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #4
iDontRemember
Ding Dong!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Recaro Sportster CS
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
e82m_van
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1m

I think it depends if you're going for function or more for looks.
There are more aggressive seats on the market, but I say BMW Performance seats or Recaro Sportster CS looks best on our cars.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2020, 12:36 PM   #6
Mogge94
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe, Z4M Roadster

Really depends on what you´re going for and also on your body type.

I was looking for a more functional seat and being 6"2 230lbs i went for the Recaro SPG XL which are pretty tight. Also these are the same seats that BMW used in the E92 M3 GTS so it has a nice OEM+ touch to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
BadakVT
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82m_van View Post
I think it depends if you're going for function or more for looks.
There are more aggressive seats on the market, but I say BMW Performance seats or Recaro Sportster CS looks best on our cars.
I completely agree, for aesthetic and rear seat access it's hard to beat the Sportster CS/BMW Performance seats.

If weight savings and support is your priority then buckets definitely have the edge.

Another option would be to leave the passenger seat stock and only change the driver seat. You'd still have rear-seat access.

OEM unheated powered seats: 28.35kg
Recaro RS-G, side mounts, sliders: 12.35kg.
16kg/35lbs weight saved per side.
      06-02-2020, 12:31 AM   #8
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all responses.

I just want buckets without heat, but having kids I will use the backseats.

More options than I was thinking, not sure how to option the Recaro Sportster CS
Here is my spec...what am I missing? Was not sure, Nardo vs Vinyl??
https://x-ph.com/recaro-sportster-cs...iABEgKEl_D_BwE
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:11 AM   #9
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Best Recaro seats for our cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post

More options than I was thinking, not sure how to option the Recaro Sportster CS
I'm currently in the process of getting some Recaro Sportster CS seats and then getting them re-trimmed the same as the performance seats but with orange stitching and text.

From my research they work well with the Macht seat belt bracket and floor mount which apparently gets you low enough to the floor and better centred.

My only missing part of the equation is that I need the wiring and connector from a standard BMW seat which I believe is for the wiring for the airbag. I'm just struggling to find the part numbers to see if I can source these from BMW without having the find a seat from the wreckers. I believe you can easily code out the passenger sensor mat.

My car doesn't have seat heating so this doesn't concern me.

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      06-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:

That store’s description about these Recaro CS seats hugging you like your grandmother is spot on; I tested them once and found that our standard seats with inflated bolsters give equal torso support. In all, you’d rather like your bucket seats to hug you like you cousin on the wrestling team, not grandma ;-).

Nevertheless these seats look and function the best for daily use. 1M should have come standard, or should have had these optionally.

Last edited by eeghie; 06-02-2020 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #11
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1 Series M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_z4mc1m_oz View Post
I'm currently in the process of getting some Recaro Sportster CS seats and then getting them re-trimmed the same as the performance seats but with orange stitching and text.

From my research they work well with the Macht seat belt bracket and floor mount which apparently gets you low enough to the floor and better centred.

My only missing part of the equation is that I need the wiring and connector from a standard BMW seat which I believe is for the wiring for the airbag. I'm just struggling to find the part numbers to see if I can source these from BMW without having the find a seat from the wreckers. I believe you can easily code out the passenger sensor mat.

Do you have manual or power seats. I had power and heat when I replaced mine. I took the existing control box from the bottom of the seat and ordered the exact same harness in the seats. Since the CS seats are manual, I basically stripped the entire harness except for the airbag and heat. No errors at all. Here's the part I used.

BMW 61129131728
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/61129131728/
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      06-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #12
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKnvl View Post
Quote:

Do you have manual or power seats. I had power and heat when I replaced mine. I took the existing control box from the bottom of the seat and ordered the exact same harness in the seats. Since the CS seats are manual, I basically stripped the entire harness except for the airbag and heat. No errors at all. Here's the part I used.

BMW 61129131728
Thanks for your response. My factory seats are powered and have the side airbag. NO heating.

With the new seats I obviously only need the airbag, as I don't have/need heating, and the new recaro seats aren't powered.

I'll check out your part to try to determine if it's the same one I need.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #13
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep

I'm thinking it might actually be this part which is specifically for the BMW Performance seats. It says it's compatible with the E9X M3, but not for the 1M. But the link to the part you sent me also says it's not compatible with the 1M.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...s/61122155580/

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your response. My factory seats are powered and have the side airbag. NO heating.

With the new seats I obviously only need the airbag, as I don't have/need heating, and the new recaro seats aren't powered.

I need to look under my car and see which one does one. I can't recall how the wiring harness is setup. IIRC, there are 2 boxes underneath. The main one is the black one, and there should be a yellow box as well. I don't remember which wires go to what. My car is at the shop right now, so I should have it next week and can check then.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I need to look under my car and see which one does one. I can't recall how the wiring harness is setup. IIRC, there are 2 boxes underneath. The main one is the black one, and there should be a yellow box as well. I don't remember which wires go to what. My car is at the shop right now, so I should have it next week and can check then.
Thank you. Really appreciate your help.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:01 PM   #16
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:

BMW 61129131728

I would like to go manual, but want rear seat access?

Do you have the exact seats (description) that you ordered and from where?

When you say you stripped the harness, what do you mean?

Lastly, any pics
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:15 PM   #17
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDontRemember View Post
Recaro Sportster CS

Which ones?

If I google Recaro Sportser CS 1M BMW I get a lot of options from various companies.

I should have stated in my OP. I want manual seats, I am now thinking heat is the preferred option? Obviously want airbags and I need rear access. I do want to be able to adjust height, sometimes I like to sit high.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #18
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would like to go manual, but want rear seat access?

Do you have the exact seats (description) that you ordered and from where?

When you say you stripped the harness, what do you mean?

Lastly, any pics

The Recaro CS seats I have were custom made included the Airbag and heat. I had them done by Recaro Max / AMX Performance. The CS seats have a latch behind the seat belt passthru that allows the seat to fold forward.

My original seats are power with heat. The harness is for that. Since the original harness is in the seat, I decided to just purchase a new one rather than try and remove the original. So I took the new harness i purchased and removed all the wiring that wasn't required. Only 2 wires basically remained, which were for the heat and the airbags.

Here's a pic I've shared previously in another thread
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      06-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #19
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Recaro CS seats I have were custom made included the Airbag and heat. I had them done by Recaro Max / AMX Performance. The CS seats have a latch behind the seat belt passthru that allows the seat to fold forward.

My original seats are power with heat. The harness is for that. Since the original harness is in the seat, I decided to just purchase a new one rather than try and remove the original. So I took the new harness i purchased and removed all the wiring that wasn't required. Only 2 wires basically remained, which were for the heat and the airbags.

Here's a pic I've shared previously in another thread
Thank you! Those look great.

I appreciate the details, the seats are a bigger project than anticipated.

Appreciate 0