BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #11881
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Glad you're loving the R&T's!!!

And is that really YOU saying it needs more power now??????? Lol

For the cooling, you can code the fans to come on earlier, that might help the issue. Also adding an oil cooler couldn't hurt.

I didn't realize you don't have camber plates, I had a set of dinans I just let go...

I too have been on the hunt for some M3 seats, I see we are in a competition here
They're simply magical. We need to get together and do some vehicle exchanging soon...

It definitely needs more power (and more noise lol). I think an N54 intake manifold or a cut-up stock manifold (open runners) and an appropriate tune would be nice (it falls on its face past 6500rpm, sadly). I do have the Dinan camber plates, it just needs even more camber. I'll have to look into coding the fan. I have another track day on Saturday at Summit Point this weekend My car's definitely getting used properly.

My poor car also had a run-in with a flying shade (it got windy on Sunday afternoon), so now there's a nice baseball-sized dent in the left front fender.

Open runners, 258wh (IIRC).
      05-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #11882
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Ohlins Road and Track Review:

TL;DR Version: Umlauts do wondrous, fantastic things.

A couple weeks ago, I finally received my set of Ohlins Road & Track coilovers from 3DM Motorsports. A custom spec; 70N/mm Swift front springs, and 160N/mm Swift rear springs, and valving to match their 1M kit. First impressions were phenomenal; packaging was perfection, plenty of stickers were included, and they were just sooo pretty.

As soon as possible, I got them installed in a single day! First driving impressions were good, but my alignment was WAY off, and I was too busy wondering which direction the next crank of the steering wheel would send me in to notice the finer points. I did an alignment in the middle of that week, and it was time for a REAL first impression. Good God, they felt amazing. They were definitely stiffer, and had FAR better body control than my old Koni's. Yet, there was a suppleness and subtlety to the way it drove that I've never seen. It followed every undulation, crest and bobble in the pavement, but it glided over potholes like a well-built off-roader. The truck-ish ride height was a blessing; I could sail over speed humps, fly over potholes, and bomb down craggy back roads without much aplomb. Fantastic. Wayyy down at 25 clicks from full-stiff, it softened up and became a more-than-bearable daily driver unlike ever before. The confidence to carry bewildering speeds through corners was wonderful.

Your impressions for DD duty align with my own, even though I don't have camber plates and just the alignment pins out. The ride, control and feel is transformative to the 1er.
      05-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #11883
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Your impressions for DD duty align with my own, even though I don't have camber plates and just the alignment pins out. The ride, control and feel is transformative to the 1er.
It absolutely is. It feels genuinely sporty, and is far more satisfying to drive than it was stock.
Gangplank1539.50
      05-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #11884
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
It definitely needs more power (and more noise lol). I think an N54 intake manifold or a cut-up stock manifold (open runners) and an appropriate tune would be nice (it falls on its face past 6500rpm, sadly). I do have the Dinan camber plates, it just needs even more camber.
Can confirm, I have headers with a BPC tune which bumps up the rev limiter another 500rpm or so... but it makes less and less power the further you rev it so the redline bump is kinda pointless. I shift way earlier.

Do you have M3 arms? That would be the next logic step for more camber. I think you are running 245s though, and M3 arms make rubbing worse (see other threads in the suspension section for a discussion on that).

Although modding cars is fun, for me, there is a special kick I get out of passing much faster cars in my nearly stock 128i. I think I'm done modding mine other than potentially a harness belt and a few other small issues that bother me.

Are you guys having trouble heel toeing? I can't seem to get the brake and the gas at the same time comfortably in this car. In my Miata and my GTI it was no problem. Wondering if someone sells a wider gas pedal cover or an extension... something like this, but for the 1er:

https://www.flyinmiata.com/fm-gas-pedal-extension.html
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #11885
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Wider pedal may help, but it's mostly the front - to-back offset. Gotta have the brake way down for the pedals to align. Okay for the track. An awful lot of braking for regular street driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #11886
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Can confirm, I have headers with a BPC tune which bumps up the rev limiter another 500rpm or so... but it makes less and less power the further you rev it so the redline bump is kinda pointless. I shift way earlier.

Do you have M3 arms? That would be the next logic step for more camber. I think you are running 245s though, and M3 arms make rubbing worse (see other threads in the suspension section for a discussion on that).

Although modding cars is fun, for me, there is a special kick I get out of passing much faster cars in my nearly stock 128i. I think I'm done modding mine other than potentially a harness belt and a few other small issues that bother me.

Are you guys having trouble heel toeing? I can't seem to get the brake and the gas at the same time comfortably in this car. In my Miata and my GTI it was no problem. Wondering if someone sells a wider gas pedal cover or an extension... something like this, but for the 1er:

https://www.flyinmiata.com/fm-gas-pedal-extension.html
The high-rpm lack of power is a result of the 3-stage intake manifold. There's a resonance issue that starts-up and persists past ~6500rpm. That's why the N54 manifold is gaining popularity lately. I don't want to do headers until the very last second on my car. VA emissions testing is the issue (although I'd technically still pass with stock secondary cats). My suspension is pretty well modded (see my build thread), M3 arms were the first thing I did to my car . I was using 245's, but went back down to 225's with my new Bridgestone RE-71R's.

Heel-toeing in this car is just awful. I've got it pretty much nailed on the street, but the track is the issue for me. The pedal goes too far past the gas pedal, and I end up missing it entirely and just releasing the clutch smoothly in the gear I want so I can focus on braking and turning at the right points. Slower tracks where my brakes are a little firmer like Shenandoah circuit at Summit Point, heel-toeing is far easier. It really needs a lighter flywheel, and my car needs a louder exhaust so I can actually hear the engine's speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Wider pedal may help, but it's mostly the front - to-back offset. Gotta have the brake way down for the pedals to align. Okay for the track. An awful lot of braking for regular street driving.
It's funny you say that, as my issue is the opposite; the brake pedal goes too far to heel-toe effectively. This is probably an unfortunate side effect of swapping four-piston calipers without getting a larger master cylinder to compensate.
      05-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #11887
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
The high-rpm lack of power is a result of the 3-stage intake manifold. There's a resonance issue that starts-up and persists past ~6500rpm. That's why the N54 manifold is gaining popularity lately. I don't want to do headers until the very last second on my car. VA emissions testing is the issue (although I'd technically still pass with stock secondary cats).
Do you have MILVS??? They're good for ~10 wheel across the whole band! Shoot me a PM if you need to contact Marty or Bob (goes for anyone reading this).

Could also look into catted aFe headers, but I've heard of those having issues :/
The stocks look so basic compared to aftermarket.

Also no issues heel-toeing but I'm only street driven. I couldn't do it with the bitey stock pads lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by desertman123; 05-20-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #11888
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The high-rpm lack of power is a result of the 3-stage intake manifold. There's a resonance issue that starts-up and persists past ~6500rpm. That's why the N54 manifold is gaining popularity lately. I don't want to do headers until the very last second on my car. VA emissions testing is the issue (although I'd technically still pass with stock secondary cats). My suspension is pretty well modded (see my build thread), M3 arms were the first thing I did to my car . I was using 245's, but went back down to 225's with my new Bridgestone RE-71R's.

Heel-toeing in this car is just awful. I've got it pretty much nailed on the street, but the track is the issue for me. The pedal goes too far past the gas pedal, and I end up missing it entirely and just releasing the clutch smoothly in the gear I want so I can focus on braking and turning at the right points. Slower tracks where my brakes are a little firmer like Shenandoah circuit at Summit Point, heel-toeing is far easier. It really needs a lighter flywheel, and my car needs a louder exhaust so I can actually hear the engine's speed.

It's funny you say that, as my issue is the opposite; the brake pedal goes too far to heel-toe effectively. This is probably an unfortunate side effect of swapping four-piston calipers without getting a larger master cylinder to compensate.
I'd like to try that but I'm not sure if there's a tune for the N54 manifold on an N51. I end up doing the same as you - letting the clutch out gently with no throttle but I feel like I'm beating the hell out of the clutch.

Headers are kind of a pain, and in hindsight I don't think I would do them again. Especially living in an emissions county in TX. I can pass, but I have to flash to stock and there is a whole procedure to follow and a very small window to get inspected before a SES light. I forget where you are going to school in TX, but only certain counties require emissions. If you're far enough outside of the Dallas and Houston you may only need a safety inspection.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/con...ionTesting.htm
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #11889
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'd like to try that but I'm not sure if there's a tune for the N54 manifold on an N51. I end up doing the same as you - letting the clutch out gently with no throttle but I feel like I'm beating the hell out of the clutch.

Headers are kind of a pain, and in hindsight I don't think I would do them again. Especially living in an emissions county in TX. I can pass, but I have to flash to stock and there is a whole procedure to follow and a very small window to get inspected before a SES light. I forget where you are going to school in TX, but only certain counties require emissions. If you're far enough outside of the Dallas and Houston you may only need a safety inspection.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/consumerinfo/emissionTesting.htm
I brake fast enough that the rpms get pretty close to where they need to be since they fall so slowly. I'm going to school in Longview, which is pretty far away from anything
      05-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #11890
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Glad you're loving the R&T's!!!

And is that really YOU saying it needs more power now??????? Lol

For the cooling, you can code the fans to come on earlier, that might help the issue. Also adding an oil cooler couldn't hurt.

I didn't realize you don't have camber plates, I had a set of dinans I just let go...

I too have been on the hunt for some M3 seats, I see we are in a competition here
I'd recommend wrecking yards for the M3 seats. I got mine for 225$, driver and passenger combined. Don't forget to swap the seat positioning sensor that lives on the inner seat rail, I did and now I have to get these codes dealt with.
Matticus913474.50
      05-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #11891
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I brake fast enough that the rpms get pretty close to where they need to be since they fall so slowly. I'm going to school in Longview, which is pretty far away from anything
Well good news, Longview is in Gregg and Harrison counties which are not emissions counties. You would only need a safety inspection to register your car.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/ins...nCriteria.aspx

Not sure what hoops you need to jump through if you want to register your car in TX while at college though.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #11892
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Well good news, Longview is in Gregg and Harrison counties which are not emissions counties. You would only need a safety inspection to register your car.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

Not sure what hoops you need to jump through if you want to register your car in TX while at college though.
I'll probably keep it VA registered while I'm in school unless my parents move to TX as well (dad's job is trying to consolidate staff locations, and Texas is one of the options). Fortunately I'll be back here pretty frequently to have inspections done...
      05-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #11893
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'll probably keep it VA registered while I'm in school unless my parents move to TX as well (dad's job is trying to consolidate staff locations, and Texas is one of the options). Fortunately I'll be back here pretty frequently to have inspections done...
Got it. I'd skip headers then.

The Texas tracks I know about are Motorsport Ranch Cresson (southwest of DFW), Eagles Canyon Raceway (northwest of DFW), MSR Houston, and of course COTA in Austin. There are likely more but I've not heard anyone bring up other tracks yet.

I have only been to MSRC, it's where I go all the time. There are 2 tracks that can be combined into one large track (a 1.7, 1.3, or 3.1). The facility is okay, but not great, and it's sort of in the middle of nowhere. It's a lot like Summit Point now that I think about it. I usually go with Apex Driving Academy.

I have not been to Eagles Canyon but they just repaved it this winter and I really want to try it out.

MSR Houston is supposed to be good but it's far (south of Houston).

COTA is supposed to be okay, but it's built for F1 cars, not our scrappy road cars, and it's super expensive. I've heard some horror stories of guys crashing or catching fire, and the track charges absolutely absurd amounts to fix things. $30 per linear foot of damaged armco for example... makes me a little nervous to even do a track day there. Obviously it has world class facilities.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.
Appreciate 2
CH400EM117.50
      05-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #11894
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:

Yeah, like the other poster said, I find it easier on track, but I don’t have too much of an issue either way.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #11895
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Changed the oil yesterday. Using 15W-50 this time in an effort to slow leaking, and for a little extra protection on the track.

I also found an axle shaft in pretty poor condition, it makes all sorts of horrible grinding and popping noises when I move it in and out, and has a lot of play moving it up, down, and all around. I guess I'll be doing an axle and a wheel bearing (while I'm in there) sometime soon...
      05-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #11896
CH400EM
M119
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9892 Merc 400E, %E2%80%

Quote:

Any photos of this setup? Thanks for the excellent review.
      05-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #11897
CH400EM
M119
Rep

Cleaned up and polished a HPF intercooler I picked up in the "For Sale" section. Used Simple Green Extreme (aircraft grade, aluminum safe cleaner) and Mothers aluminum polish. 👍🏽

Edit: also pressure tested - good-to-go!
Attached Images

Matticus913474.50
      05-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #11898
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Still plugging away at this. It's been so long since I've done major bodywork that it's been kind of a pain. Plan is to start wrapping the other panels this weekend and by the time I'm ready to hit the quarters the bodywork will be done. Lots of carbon on order so that stuff should be coming in soon hopefully
Attached Images

Last edited by low135; 05-22-2019 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 2
Matticus913474.50
CH400EM117.50
      05-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #11899
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH400EM View Post
Quote:

Any photos of this setup? Thanks for the excellent review.
Stock-ish ride height is wonderful to have again.
Attached Images

Matticus913474.50
CH400EM117.50
gjm1202181.50
Gangplank1539.50
      05-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #11900
CH400EM
M119
Rep

Quote:
Stock-ish ride height is wonderful to have again.
Yeah that looks perfect. Functional AND liveable!
      05-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #11901
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH400EM View Post
Yeah that looks perfect. Functional AND liveable!
I can jump over railroad tracks without much aplomb
Rmtt8208.00
CH400EM117.50
      05-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #11902
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Gave it a bath to get all the pollen off and installed a new cabin air filter.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0