BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #12035
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I've been following this since the problem first popped up. I was thinking about doing the MFactory LSD. Until I saw this and what their response was. I know MFactory has a following here and I do know they also post here. But my opinion of how they've handled this issue is just unacceptable.

They've recognized it was defective bolts they've used in their LSDs. So it's a manufacturing problem. Their only remedy was to replace the LSDs. No duh. This is what any manufacturer with a product that has a factory defect should do. What I feel they should have done is to reimburse for the labor in pulling the LSDs and the installation of the new one along with any shipping charges. This may seem excessive for some and it could be. But at a minimum, they should have split half the cost.

And now with some time that has passed and this problem is still occurring is unacceptable to me.
What do you expect a fairly small company/division like MFactory to do? The fasteners they had outsourced was manufactured incorrectly, and their products were affected. They don't have the money to immediately pay for all costs, and (as of the 2015-ish thread I read) were pursuing action against the manufacturer of their fasteners. I haven't seen anything come of that yet though. Also, if there was a failure, MFactory covered a complete pumpkin rebuild for the owner. Getting a diff out is three bolts and a little gymnastics.

MFactory did the best they could in a crap situation, and I can respect that. Quaife used the same bolts, but didn't issue preemptive recalls. I love my MFactory diff; it works very well and was well worth the money. I don't understand why you'd single-out a single brand for doing something not to your liking. That'd be like singling-out BMW because they use turbochargers or are now making a FWD 1-Series
      06-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #12036
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
What do you expect a fairly small company/division like MFactory to do? The fasteners they had outsourced was manufactured incorrectly, and their products were affected. They don't have the money to immediately pay for all costs, and (as of the 2015-ish thread I read) were pursuing action against the manufacturer of their fasteners. I haven't seen anything come of that yet though. Also, if there was a failure, MFactory covered a complete pumpkin rebuild for the owner. Getting a diff out is three bolts and a little gymnastics.

MFactory did the best they could in a crap situation, and I can respect that. Quaife used the same bolts, but didn't issue preemptive recalls. I love my MFactory diff; it works very well and was well worth the money. I don't understand why you'd single-out a single brand for doing something not to your liking. That'd be like singling-out BMW because they use turbochargers or are now making a FWD 1-Series
Elaborate on what you mean by a complete pumpkin rebuild. Does this mean the owner had to ship the entire pumpkin back to get this and does this apply to people who didn't buy the whole pumpkin and just the diff?

It may be simple to you in pulling out the diff, but for others who paid a shop to do the install, it's not so trivial.

I kept quiet about this until iminhell1 brought up his failure which looks to be the same situation with a decent amount of time that has elapsed from the initial failures.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 11:43 PM   #12037
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Finally finished a project that took far too long to get situated.

M3 steering wheel
Nelson paddle shifters
IND starter button
Joying Android tablet for the headunit

Not 100% happy with everything, but whatever. Nobody really mentions that the Nelson paddles stick so far towards the front of the car, that your fingers don't have room between the paddle and the turn signal/windshield wiper stalks.

The headunit. My god what a pain in the ass this install was.

The good:
Looks neat
Apple CarPlay
Added a backup camera too integrated into a trunk handle
Can tether to my phone's data to surf the web (but honestly when the fuck am I ever really gonna do that?)

The bad:
There's a constant buzzing noise when the volume is on. When it's one 0, it goes away. Luckily you can't really hear it with music playing or if you're driving around.
Programming the steering wheel buttons with a 3rd party harness was a nightmare in itself. They work now, but CarPlay doesn't let you skip tracks from the steering wheel, volume works fine though.
For whatever reason, every time I use CarPlay, shit decides to BLAST the volume on songs initially. And there's no way to set a default start volume on CarPlay.
The backup camera video quality is god awful. Looks like 240p.
For some reason, the button illumination on the headunit can't stay on all the time. Which is fucking weird. So at night time, you're literally going blind to try and adjust the volume or hit the home button.
Oh, and I can't figure how to get the factory chimes to work, so I'm currently chimeless. Which some might find to be a good thing, but I actually wanted to keep em.

In the end, I give it a 7/10. But honestly, I probably wouldn't do it again. Way too much of a hassle and work for very little benefit. This is what happens when you're bored and just wanna spend money like a dingus. At least the M3 wheel is nice, for now lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Fakemike368.50
CH400EM117.50
zx10guy5149.50
      06-10-2019, 04:04 AM   #12038
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clainer98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
Color matched the lower part of the front lip
Fixed it for ya.

The Green Machine looks pretty good. The big black nostrils need some green air scoops behind them.
Where did you get that hood?
Its not my car. You'd have to ask low135. If I remember correctly it's a carbon fiber hood that he picked it up used on Craigslist. Possibly a Seibon Carbon hood?
@Clainer98 I did grab it from a local member but I did find it on a site a while back out of Ireland. It was something around $1600 shipped to the US
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #12039
jamespaoli
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post

M3 steering wheel
Nelson paddle shifters
IND starter button

Not 100% happy with everything, but whatever. Nobody really mentions that the Nelson paddles stick so far towards the front of the car, that your fingers don't have room between the paddle and the turn signal/windshield wiper stalks.

The good:
Looks neat
Apple CarPlay
Can tether to my phone's data to surf the web (but honestly when the fuck am I ever really gonna do that?)

The bad:
There's a constant buzzing noise when the volume is on. When it's one 0, it goes away. Luckily you can't really hear it with music playing or if you're driving around.
Programming the steering wheel buttons with a 3rd party harness was a nightmare in itself. They work now, but CarPlay doesn't let you skip tracks from the steering wheel, volume works fine though.
For whatever reason, every time I use CarPlay, shit decides to BLAST the volume on songs initially. And there's no way to set a default start volume on CarPlay.
For some reason, the button illumination on the headunit can't stay on all the time. Which is fucking weird. So at night time, you're literally going blind to try and adjust the volume or hit the home button.
Oh, and I can't figure how to get the factory chimes to work, so I'm currently chimeless. Which some might find to be a good thing, but I actually wanted to keep em.

In the end, I give it a 7/10. But honestly, I probably wouldn't do it again. Way too much of a hassle and work for very little benefit. This is what happens when you're bored and just wanna spend money like a dingus. At least the M3 wheel is nice, for now lol

Do you just plug your phone into one of the two supplied USB's from Joying on the headunit? did you have to configure or do anything?

I have same headunit, car play is not working... not sure if i need to set something up
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #12040
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Finally took a look at my stock M Sport suspension that came out a week or two ago. Was surprised to find some rust on the shocks with only 28k miles on it. The rest of the underside of the car seems to be rust free so I was a bit shocked.

The car was originally a Colorado car so it’s possible it saw some snow. But it was really low mileage when I bought it (17k). Hoping there’s not some other hidden rust.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:55 PM   #12041
CH400EM
M119
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9892 Merc 400E, %E2%80%

Modified the lower FMIC grill by cutting out the solid pieces on the sides and leaving the center grill for protection + less blingy OEM look. The rectangular diamond pattern grill is similar to the 3 series with brake ducts on either side. I just wanted the IC to be more visible and have no obstruction. The edge of the lower grill that clips in is still intact all the way around. I used a Dremel to cut everything out then a fine sanding pad to smooth the openings.
Attached Images

06-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #12042
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Carbon fiber fang overlays shipped from the motherland. Can't wait to see this front end come together
Appreciate 1
Fakemike368.50
      06-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #12043
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespaoli View Post
Do you just plug your phone into one of the two supplied USB's from Joying on the headunit? did you have to configure or do anything?

I have same headunit, car play is not working... not sure if i need to set something up
Yea plug your lightning USB cable into one of the USB inputs coming off the Joying (not sure if it matters which one), then go in the apps on the Joying units and loadup the Z-Link app. Should boot right away to CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #12044
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Zero contact from MFactory .

Really not pleased.
Appreciate 2
1and11858.00
zx10guy5149.50
      06-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #12045
CH400EM
M119
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post

Really not pleased.
Bummer.. hope things start going more smoothly for you.

Wish they would have just specced an LSD from factory.
      06-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #12046
CH400EM
M119
Rep

Just posted a thread in the cosmetic modifications section about how I modified the left side vent to serve as a magnetic phone mount. Also ran a cable up through the vent assembly for discreet access to logging/coding.
Attached Images

1and11858.00
      06-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #12047
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
First day at Mid-Ohio:

Holy crap, my front sway bar is never going back in. The handling is AMAZING, it dances beautifully. The balance and controllability between understeer and oversteer is simply delightful. Go in too hot and it plows, get it just right or jump on the throttle too aggressively and it rotates brilliantly (sometimes excessively). For the first time ever, I was getting compliments on the car's performance and on my driving (woo!). My dad was behind me and was 'bragging' about my four-wheel drifting. I'm back in love with this thing again. Also, my car's knack for roasting the outside edge of the front tires seems to be cured, but my classic RWD antics aren't doing favors for the rears...

iminhell1 That's unfortunate. Hope it gets sorted soon...
Matticus913474.50
1and11858.00
CH400EM117.50
Rmtt8211.00
      06-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #12048
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Really old guy here who still loves wrenching on his own car.

In prep for tomorrows tech inspection:
-new rear brakes; they were about 4mm, not good enough for a HPDE day
-brake flush
-track tires put on [MPSS]
-road test tomorrow

Tired as all hell right now; hoping all OK on road test.
60600 miles on car
Appreciate 3
1and11858.00
CH400EM117.50
      06-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #12049
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post

M3 steering wheel
Nelson paddle shifters
IND starter button

The good:
Looks neat
Apple CarPlay

The bad:

Thanks for the write up. I'm betting the buzzing is from some ground loop issue. When I was looking at ways to chase down why I keep toasting the Smartview box I installed to do screen mirroring of my Android phone to my iDrive screen. I tried using a hardwired 12V to 5V micro USB power converter. The buzzing was out of control. Having the volume down, you could hear it but it wasn't that loud. As you cranked up the volume, you really heard it during quieter parts of music or between songs. I think I ended up tapping off of the 12V accessory/cigarette lighter fuse and hardwired the Smartview box to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #12050
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post

Really not pleased.
Sorry to hear. That really sucks. Hopefully something positive happens soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #12051
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
First day at Mid-Ohio:

Holy crap, my front sway bar is never going back in. The handling is AMAZING, it dances beautifully. The balance and controllability between understeer and oversteer is simply delightful. Go in too hot and it plows, get it just right or jump on the throttle too aggressively and it rotates brilliantly (sometimes excessively). For the first time ever, I was getting compliments on the car's performance and on my driving (woo!). My dad was behind me and was 'bragging' about my four-wheel drifting. I'm back in love with this thing again. Also, my car's knack for roasting the outside edge of the front tires seems to be cured, but my classic RWD antics aren't doing favors for the rears...

You're not running a front sway?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #12052
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
First day at Mid-Ohio:

Can you remind me what other suspension mods you might have? Coilovers, camber plates, tire sizes, etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #12053
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
First day at Mid-Ohio:

No sway at all? I don't see how this can be good for laptimes while track driving - with the stock M-sport bar, I had all sorts of dynamic camber change, which isn't doing wonders for front traction; this can only be worse with none at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #12054
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Hey guys, few projects im working on will post photos
Front and rear brakes and pads
Paint calipers phoenix yellow
rear carbon diffuser
double slat grill
m4 rear spolier

Keep everyone updated!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #12055
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
No sway at all? I don't see how this can be good for laptimes while track driving - with the stock M-sport bar, I had all sorts of dynamic camber change, which isn't doing wonders for front traction; this can only be worse with none at all.
I'm sure running 60N/mm front springs helps a lot.
      06-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #12056
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
You're not running a front sway?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Can you remind me what other suspension mods you might have? Coilovers, camber plates, tire sizes, etc?
Ultra-specifics are in my car thread (link in signature), but here's the short-ish list:
-Ohlins Road and Track Coilovers (70N/mm and 160N/mm Swift Springs)
-ECS 12mm Rear Sway Bar
-MFactory 1.5-Way LSD
-Front M Control Arms
-Rear M Upper Control Arms/Guide Rods
-Solid Subframe Bushings
-Dinan Camber Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
No bar in the front. 12mm solid one in the rear.

I'm not out there for laptimes, but the car certainly was not slower. The numerous Caymans, Boxsters, and 911's I was gobbling in the corners can attest to that. I got thumbs-up, compliments, and general astonishment from the people in my group. I was hauling

In the end, I got way more of a result than I was expecting, and love the car more than I ever have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
I'm sure running 60N/mm front springs helps a lot.
70N/mm, but yes. Having just over 3x the stock spring rate helps just a little bit...
Gangplank1540.50
gjm1202181.50
1and11858.00
low1352211.50
CH400EM117.50