BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Ange25
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i coupe

HiFi Professional / iDrive

After a lot of consideration and help from this forum (thanks Steve) I decided to order the HiFi Professional system with my 135i just over a fortnight ago.

Though i realise that it's not great value for money, i figured the better amp, extra speakers, surround sound features and graphic equaliser made it a reasonable system, esp given i wasn't keen to install aftermarket products.

However, I have been told by BMW Head Office that unless you also order the iDrive system, the HiFi Pro does not include the surround sound features - i.e. concert, hall, theatre etc options, nor does it include a graphic equaliser. When i questioned them on this, they said they would contact Germany and get back to me....still waiting.

Without these, i will cancel the HiFi Pro which they are aware, however it appears they are stalling til production has begun, so a sh*tstrom may be brewing...

Can anybody confirm/deny this? Does anyone have a HiFi Professional sytem in their 135i without the iDrive? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

I cant remember what the different models are, but i upgraded the stereo in the 135i from the base package to the one above it, which was about 1k RRP? I was in the same boat and wanted more power + more speakers and didnt want to go aftermarket. If thats the pro pack, I had no idea it came with the surround sound options and the equalizer. I thought that was the one they call logic7

and yeah, i have no idrive.
      07-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Just remember to have everything in writing. I suffered big time from BMW until I got everything they told me in writing. As soon as something comes up, they'll call you - and refuse to put anything down.

Just make sure if they make you ANY promises, you have it in writing.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I dont have I drive and I have all those features on my HIFI Pro. Mine is an 08 though so maybe it's changed?
      07-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Ange25
Rep

Radium, yours is the midrange unit with the 10 speaker system but without the equaliser, surround sound etc.

The one that i listened and obviously sat in a couple of months ago, had the hifi pro with the upgraded amp and all those features (though no logic7 - that's only for the 3 series up, not for the 1) and no idrive, but im guessing that must have been an '08 model though they were selling it as new.

They're not providing anything in writing, so might go cancel my order - don't like to be stuffed around!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange25 View Post
Radium, yours is the midrange unit with the 10 speaker system but without the equaliser, surround sound etc.

The one that i listened and obviously sat in a couple of months ago, had the hifi pro with the upgraded amp and all those features (though no logic7 - that's only for the 3 series up, not for the 1) and no idrive, but im guessing that must have been an '08 model though they were selling it as new.

They're not providing anything in writing, so might go cancel my order - don't like to be stuffed around!!
Er, I've got Logic7 on my 135.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
Er, I've got Logic7 on my 135.
Same, its on my invoice too and no idrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Tj303
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

I've never heard that you have to order the idrive in order to get surround sound functions + graphic equaliser and preset equalisers (e.g. concert hall etc) for the Professional Hifi. I think the dealer is screwing you around here... as far as i know, the idrive makes just ipod navigation easier as the interface is better, plus it's more true to the actual ipod's navigation via the idrive knob.

Regarding "Logic 7" in the 1er -- there is Logic 7 processing from the amplifier but, it's not real Logic 7 that comes in the 3 series and above models. The 1er has no centre speaker, so it's actually a simulated logic 7 effect.
      07-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

It would be strange if it doesn't have the eq, but best to confirm. As far as dsp functions, I am not sure if it has them or not - it's not a function I generally use in a car as you can always better setup with the other settings. Going grocery shopping, so will check.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #10
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

Does have eq and other settings, checked today.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #11
Ange25
Rep

I thought it was strange too if the hifi pro had no surround sound and equaliser because of no idrive...esp given the car i listened to had these features without the idrive. However, this is not coming from the dealer, its coming from head office. Spoke to another product 'expert' yesterday from HO who was visiting the dealership and who is now the third person from HO 'will get back to me after contacting Germany'.

He concedes the 2008 model had these features but not sure about the 2009 version ?? I honestly don't think they know.

Only problem is, officially it's too late to change my order....i don't think so!

Will keep you informed.....and yes, the 1 series is simulated logic7, no matter what is written on your sales invoice...that i can confirm.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #12
Ange25
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
Does have eq and other settings, checked today.
Thanks Gumball, so that's defintely a 2009 135i without iDrive that had these features...i.e. surround sound functions, graphic eq?

Appreciate that!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 04:36 AM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Surround functions = only have a surround setting. No simulated hall/studio/etc. Personally, I don't like using electronics for these effects and you usually get much cleaner sound without dsp. However, I have found a setting works well for my current EQ setting - it gives a better staging than having it off - probably because it simulated a centre channel.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 05:00 AM   #14
Ange25
Rep

Funny, BMW rang me today and said that it did have surround AND all the simulated settings, i.e. concert, hall etc without 609 (iDrive) - but the conversation finished with them saying they will call me back yet again to confirm!!

As sweet as the drive is, must admit, i'm quickly losing confidence in anything BMW Australia.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

lol - but that's any car company for you. BMW have much more problems than that. but the drive is worth it!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 05:57 AM   #16
Ange25
Rep

I have finally received feedback from head office regarding option 677 (HiFi Professional) for the 135i.

I received confirmation from Head Office who confirmed it in Germany that the 7-band equalizer is included in 677 even if you have a car without 609 (Navigation system Professional). You only need the Radio BMW Professional which is standard in Australia.

Furthermore, the interior-space sound effects ‘concert’ and ‘theatre’ are also included in 677 with or without the Navigation system.

BMW were agreeable to delay the production of my vehicle for a month so it will be a MY2010 production, so overall very happy with the outcome.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #17
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Ummm, that question went all the way to HQ? Wow. The answer could have easily been gotten from either here or Babybmw.net by using
      08-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #18
Ange25
Rep

I asked the question here and no one could give a definitive answer, actually i got lots of different answers and none of them correct.

Dealership didnt know which is why i asked them to refer it to HO in Germany, so there could be no confusion.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange25 View Post
I asked the question here and no one could give a definitive answer, actually i got lots of different answers and none of them correct.

Dealership didnt know which is why i asked them to refer it to HO in Germany, so there could be no confusion.
Your original question was incorrect as well, perhaps that's the reason all the answers given here were incorrect as well.

You asked about a "HiFi Professional" with surround features when that's incorrect, no "HiFi" system -option 676 Hi-fi sound system- has surround features, only the 677 option "Premium/Top Hi-fi" has surround features.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Your original question was incorrect as well, perhaps that's the reason all the answers given here were incorrect as well.

You asked about a "HiFi Professional" with surround features when that's incorrect, no "HiFi" system -option 676 Hi-fi sound system- has surround features, only the 677 option "Premium/Top Hi-fi" has surround features.
That's what we call them here in Australia.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
That's what we call them here in Australia.
Call them what? You either have a Stereo, a HiFi or you have a Top HiFi, three different sound systems unless in Australia this BMW document attached does not apply (very doubtful):
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 HiFi.pdf (191.5 KB, 266 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #22
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

What they are called in the US is definately different to what they are called in Australia.
Appreciate 0