BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #23
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Thanks for the oil cooler pic!! What size front tires are you running?

I have 235/40/18s and it would probably rub because my tire right now is super close to the liner.

Car sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #24
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan
Thanks for the oil cooler pic!! What size front tires are you running?

I have 235/40/18s and it would probably rub because my tire right now is super close to the liner.

Car sounds good.
Running 225 in fronts... those are close...can't imagine 235's

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #25
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
Myplan is to get it dynoed in the next few weeks.
Post your results when you get a chance to dyno. I'm Dinan stage 2 with Dinan intercooler, and always considered going to full stage 3. I manage to get 351hp at the wheels and 387tq at the wheels. 96 oct.
I can get my hands on 100 octane. Do you think I'd see a benefit for the Dyno if I added that prior?

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #26
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 335i

Quote:
I can get my hands on 100 octane. Do you think I'd see a benefit for the Dyno if I added that prior?
Oh, for sure. It's a strong enough difference that you'll even feel it in your butt. I've never done straight 100 octane, but always ended up hovering around 94-96 octane. I'd let the car learn the stage 3 tune first. Then go try the gas. Give the car about 50 miles and few 3rd gear pulls before you make any judgements.

CURRENT: 2013 TSM 335i 6AT | Stock!!...for now |
SOLD: 2010 CR 135i 6MT | 351 WHP 387 WTQ | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Intercooler | BMS DCI | Berk Street Axle Back | N55 Midpipe | BMWP Y-Pipe | Bilstein HD Dampers | BMWP Springs | Whiteline RSFB Inserts | 225/255 RE71R | CDV Delete | CF Diffuser |
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #27
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I too am very interested in your impressions once the tune breaks in, since I have basically your exact old setup and I have been considering Stage III.
Nobody else I know of on here who has Stage III though went there from Stage II - most just went from nothing straight to III, so nobody can speak to the delta and whether it is worth the considerable cost.

I'm sure you probably know this, but the tune will benefit from a few hard WOT pulls up through 4th gear. (yes, I know that will put you at 140+mph at the upper end of 4th gear - find a track or recon a stretch of highway between exists late at night to ensure no hazards or LE).

And yes, I know a guy with that exhaust setup and it is crazy loud. Too loud for my taste. I think I'll keep my no-res PE.

But please, keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #28
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I too am very interested in your impressions once the tune breaks in, since I have basically your exact old setup and I have been considering Stage III.
Nobody else I know of on here who has Stage III though went there from Stage II - most just went from nothing straight to III, so nobody can speak to the delta and whether it is worth the considerable cost.

I'm sure you probably know this, but the tune will benefit from a few hard WOT pulls up through 4th gear. (yes, I know that will put you at 140+mph at the upper end of 4th gear - find a track or recon a stretch of highway between exists late at night to ensure no hazards or LE).

And yes, I know a guy with that exhaust setup and it is crazy loud. Too loud for my taste. I think I'll keep my no-res PE.

But please, keep us posted.
Cavpilot2k - I wish there was somewhere I could go to get that type of 4th gear pull. Since I got the car on Thursday and we've had crappy weather, I only really got to drive it on Sunday.

On Sunday I was able to get the car out and do some runs...nothing crazy of course, but on the highway. Initial feel is, that it pull harder in 3rd gear and it feels like it just keeps pulling. I was able to record it on my Sony FDR X1000v and then download it. Was actually surprised at the speeds I hit (over 55 and "potentially" jail territory). I was able to use the GPS function to reflect the speed on the video. I'll post some video pulls once I get some time in the car.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...19028448,d.dmo

I'm hoping to schedule a run on a dyno at one of the local tuners to see what the car is actually doing. Once I have that, I'll let everyone know.

In regards to Stage 3. The cost of the Stage 3 SW over the stage 2 is small( approx $200-300). It's the HW that is needed which is pricey. I know some members have dealt with this by going with Wagner or other aftermarket companies for the IC and OC. I'm not sure if the minimal gains from stage 2 to stage 3 justify the cost, only time will tell. But that's a decision each individual member needs to weigh when thinking of going this route.

I do have to say, I've noticed a difference in the oil temp guage running 10-15 deg cooler over stock. Also...at initial start up, it feels like the entire car wants to lift up. Not sure if that's the increased power, or the exhaust. But it's crazy.

Finally the exhaust...people...the video's on youtube don't do it justice (even my video). Honestly, it's like 2-3x as loud as my BMW PE (with no res). That being said...as a weekend car, I love the sound. I can now give my buddies all running Akropovic, BMW Ti PE, or Dinan on their M3's, M4's and X5 M's a run in the sound dept. Hope this info is helpful and I'll continue to provide updates as I learn more. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #29
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Cavpilot2k - I wish there was somewhere I could go to get that type of 4th gear pull. Since I got the car on Thursday and we've had crappy weather, I only really got to drive it on Sunday.

On Sunday I was able to get the car out and do some runs...nothing crazy of course, but on the highway. Initial feel is, that it pull harder in 3rd gear and it feels like it just keeps pulling. I was able to record it on my Sony FDR X1000v and then download it. Was actually surprised at the speeds I hit (over 55 and "potentially" jail territory). I was able to use the GPS function to reflect the speed on the video. I'll post some video pulls once I get some time in the car.
Be careful not to post anything that might incriminate yourself.

I heard a good technique is to go out on a stretch of highway late at night and drive from one exit to the next both ways at normal speeds to scout it for obstacles, suitability, traffic volume, speed traps, etc, then when satisfied that it can be done safely, do the WOT pulls in gears 1-4.
I cannot condone this behavior, but I know people who may have used that method.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #30
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Be careful not to post anything that might incriminate yourself.

I heard a good technique is to go out on a stretch of highway late at night and drive from one exit to the next both ways at normal speeds to scout it for obstacles, suitability, traffic volume, speed traps, etc, then when satisfied that it can be done safely, do the WOT pulls in gears 1-4.
I cannot condone this behavior, but I know people who may have used that method.
Absolutely...would not post anything, content or video doing more than 9 mph over the legally posted speed limit...

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #31
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

in for the dyno#'s but I would not add the 100oct so it doesn't skew the numbers that you will typically see on 93oct.

I always liked Dinan products and Thompson Bmw has my business if I go that route on my car. Matt at Thompson was very helpful and knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #32
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00
in for the dyno#'s but I would not add the 100oct so it doesn't skew the numbers that you will typically see on 93oct.

I always liked Dinan products and Thompson Bmw has my business if I go that route on my car. Matt at Thompson was very helpful and knowledgeable.
Matt at Thompson is my Service Rep. I go to him for everything. I love the reliability of the Dinan products. Knock on wood, never an issue.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #33
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So...it's been a few weeks and both the exhaust & Dinan stage 3 tune have settled in.

Initial thoughts are the following. Dinan advertises small gains from stage 2 to 3. At WOT pulls, 1st and 2nd gear top out fast or faster than before. 3rd gear pulls and pulls and feels like it could pull all day.

The oil temp seems to be running 10-15 degrees cooler.

Is it worth getting? I can't answer that for anyone. You have to think about what your trying to accomplish. For me, I knew the gains would be minimal. Since those were my expectations, I'm happy with the results.

Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 05:32 AM   #34
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert
So...it's been a few weeks and both the exhaust & Dinan stage 3 tune have settled in.

Initial thoughts are the following. Dinan advertises small gains from stage 2 to 3. At WOT pulls, 1st and 2nd gear top out fast or faster than before. 3rd gear pulls and pulls and feels like it could pull all day.

Is it worth getting? I can't answer that for anyone. You have to think about what your trying to accomplish. For me, I knew the gains would be minimal. Since those were my expectations, I'm happy with the results.
I will say the car feels faster. It feels like it gets off the line faster. Now if I could only get some consistent seat time, that would be great. The only clear day this week seems to be Saturday.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #35
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I'd also be interested in your numbers if you you decide to have it dyno tested. Would hope for some good results for your money and efforts.

Last edited by Esteban; 04-27-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #36
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wanted to add that my car has really come alive with stage 2. Freeway on ramps are my new fun spots and 120mph+ comes up pretty quick.
      04-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #37
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:

That's kinda what I would expect. If you look just at peak HP/TQ numbers, the difference is minimal, but if you look at their Dyno charts, it suggests a much more aggressive torque curve, hitting near peak TQ much sooner.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #38
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k
Quote:

That's kinda what I would expect. If you look just at peak HP/TQ numbers, the difference is minimal, but if you look at their Dyno charts, it suggests a much more aggressive torque curve, hitting near peak TQ much sooner.
Huh...did not realize that...guess my butt Dyno was right car does feel quicker off the line.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #39
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban
Wanted to add that my car has really come alive with stage 2. Freeway on ramps are my new fun spots and 120mph+ comes up pretty quick.
Esteban...glad you like it. I remember the difference was night and day. Can't wait to hear more about your experience w Stage 2.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #40
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Esteban...glad you like it. I remember the difference was night and day. Can't wait to hear more about your experience w Stage 2.
I really like the fact that it's very smooth. Like PPK only more. More torque, especially. Pulls very strong. It feels like BMW power, just more of it. Plus all my burbling sounds are still there. A win-win for me!
      04-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #41
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Frank, did you ever end up getting a catted DP?
If so, which one, and what has been your experience with it?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #42
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k
Frank, did you ever end up getting a catted DP?
If so, which one, and what has been your experience with it?
No...I decided to wait and I'm glad. With the new exhaust the car is Looouuud!

Not sure if I could live with it w no cats in the DP.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #43
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
No...I decided to wait and I'm glad. With the new exhaust the car is Looouuud!

Not sure if I could live with it w no cats in the DP.
Yeah, I heard a 135 with catless exhaust and Berk Race, and it was obnoxiously loud. Even he thought so - I think he eventually switched to Berk Street to get a muffler in the mix.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #44
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Any new impressions now that you've had a few weeks with the S3?
Appreciate 0