BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #23
Dezmo
LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Same Thing Here

I am about to trade my shit in for a 3 Series. Every morning on the way to work I here it consistently. It seems to be getting louder as time goes by. It started as a random pop here and there but has turned in to a serious CRACK!!! In Dallas the ground swells and heaves, so the roads and highways are fuc*ed up. I brace myself, slow down, and cringe upon driving over the bumps that cause this noise.

I'll let you know what the advisor says. Or maybe the 328 salesman.
      07-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #24
jsdaniels
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 128i Sport, Xenon,iPod

Adding new life to the thread hopefully those who have sent their cars in for check ups don't forget to post follow up here.

Also again today I heard it. This time the wife also heard it and was asking about it. AC was on low, was about 78 outside, did go over a small bump but nothing that bad, infact I go over worse getting out of my housing complex.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #25
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Heard mine again today as I hit an expansion joint in the road.

AC was blasting.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #26
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

I have it too ......front passenger side while turning left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #27
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

OK, went to see the SA yesterday. And of course, even though we did about a 10 mile trip it would not make the noise for the SA. I was hacked. But he was really good about it and after describing it in detail, his best guess was that it was not one of the 3 known issues with the dash assembly (center vent, glove box, or arm rest), he felt that the issue was the brace strut running over the top of the engine in front of the firewall.
He said that particular part is powdercoated and it does have a tendency to make a popping noise at the bolt joining it to the body due to slipping against the painted surface of the body under the bolt during car body flex. He has seen it in other models, but not particularly with the 1 as yet. What he said made sense because the sound I am hearing is definately a metallic pop that you would hear when say a metallic fastener is over torqued, and it does seem to happen more when the car is colder and it was very hot in Phoenix yesterday, which may explain why it would not replicate.
He untorqued and retorqued the two front bolts he could get to. There are 2 more bolts but it would take some dissasembly to get to them. I told them I would give this a try and let them know if I want to come back for a longer appointment to do the back two bolts. The only thing that did not fit this explination was the fact that it only seemed to happen when I had the AC on. Havn't noticed it again since, but have only driven it home. Will let you know.
Interestingly, had a good discussion on the HPFP issue as we were driving. He's convinced it's the gas we have in the States, and the seasonal ethinol additives and other enviromental changes we have, which makes the ECU overcompensate the lean/rich mix putting added stress on the seals and causing failure. He basically said it's a crapshoot on if you get the problem, and sometimes it's more severe than other times. Really sounded to me like this guy knew his stuff.
Sorry for the long post, but wanted to report out.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #28
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

just started hearing this noise as well
      07-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcherjf View Post
I have rattles/creaking coming from virtually everywhere inside the car, but not popping noises. Both doors rattle over bumps, sounds like it's coming from inside the doors, as well as the air vents. Also rattles from the rear view mirror area, iDrive area (2008 nav), and even the armrest area. These are minor rattles though, and most people don't even notice them and call me anal.

I wouldn't consider them popping noises though... does it sound like it's coming from the front right wheel? Could be something outside.
'

Do you have an aftermarket suspension?

I wonder if these RFT's add to the overall "shock" that gets transferred to the dampers and then through the chassis.
Tires have a small role in overall shock absorbtion, and given how the RFT's are constructed I'm sure more "shock" comes through to the chassis.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #30
Dezmo
LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

CRACK!! and pop still not fixed. They performed the TSB addressing the golvebox thing for the rattle but did not work.
      06-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #31
Ganicki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
OK, went to see the SA yesterday. And of course, even though we did about a 10 mile trip it would not make the noise for the SA. I was hacked. But he was really good about it and after describing it in detail, his best guess was that it was not one of the 3 known issues with the dash assembly (center vent, glove box, or arm rest), he felt that the issue was the brace strut running over the top of the engine in front of the firewall.
He said that particular part is powdercoated and it does have a tendency to make a popping noise at the bolt joining it to the body due to slipping against the painted surface of the body under the bolt during car body flex. He has seen it in other models, but not particularly with the 1 as yet. What he said made sense because the sound I am hearing is definately a metallic pop that you would hear when say a metallic fastener is over torqued, and it does seem to happen more when the car is colder and it was very hot in Phoenix yesterday, which may explain why it would not replicate.
He untorqued and retorqued the two front bolts he could get to. There are 2 more bolts but it would take some dissasembly to get to them. I told them I would give this a try and let them know if I want to come back for a longer appointment to do the back two bolts. The only thing that did not fit this explination was the fact that it only seemed to happen when I had the AC on. Havn't noticed it again since, but have only driven it home. Will let you know.
Interestingly, had a good discussion on the HPFP issue as we were driving. He's convinced it's the gas we have in the States, and the seasonal ethinol additives and other enviromental changes we have, which makes the ECU overcompensate the lean/rich mix putting added stress on the seals and causing failure. He basically said it's a crapshoot on if you get the problem, and sometimes it's more severe than other times. Really sounded to me like this guy knew his stuff.
Sorry for the long post, but wanted to report out.
My SA said the same and had the strut brace tightened-- has been relatively quiet just got back from a 700mi round trip to memphis

Ganicki 2008 135i • 2011 328xi
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Mine will do this occasionally. It almost sounds like a good size socket rolling back or to the side on top of the plastic under shielding. It only seems to do it once and it's hard to reproduce. It's definitely coming from the front pass side wheel area.
      06-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #33
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Its some kind of little flap for the ac. You can see it when you take off the cowl cover. It for somereason rotates at random times and it slams open and shut creating the noise we hear. Needs to be a way to dampen how hard it slams. Its located on the passenger side right behind the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #34
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Its some kind of little flap for the ac. You can see it when you take off the cowl cover. It for somereason rotates at random times and it slams open and shut creating the noise we hear. Needs to be a way to dampen how hard it slams. Its located on the passenger side right behind the glovebox.
This sounds the most plausible from among all the different scenarios.

To me, it sounds like the fresh/recirculating air flap that's slamming shut whenever the car's AC is on the automatic recirculate/fresh air setting.

It sounds very similar to a loose upper strut mount or something of that nature (and it's physically very close to that location), but I've never had this happen with that AC setting set to off (manually setting the AC to either fresh/recirculate)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #35
luv135i
Major
Rep

Never have the noise with the ac off but only when the ac is on and recirc setting doesnt matter for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #36
Larz
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I just noticed this today, with the AC on - first time I've used the AC.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #37
phobic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

mine does this too sometimes on my drive home from work. just a random pop, its really weird.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #38
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Happens when the car has been sitting in the sun and you turn the AC on and often is triggered by going over a bump. I use a car cover on 90+ days and I don't get the pop. My windshield heat shield comes today and I'll see if that also prevents it. Car is brand new and has been doing it since the beginning.
      06-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #39
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

It is the AC recirc valve slamming shut.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #40
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
Yep- definitely seems that way. It's almost like it builds up pressure and "sticks"- sometimes it'll just slam shut, other times it's sorta jarred loose by a bump and slams shut that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1er
Happens when the car has been sitting in the sun and you turn the AC on and often is triggered by going over a bump. I use a car cover on 90+ days and I don't get the pop. My windshield heat shield comes today and I'll see if that also prevents it. Car is brand new and has been doing it since the beginning.
+1 here , exactly as mine does. My windshield sun shield helps a bunch
      06-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #42
luv135i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5
Yup. Ive seen it slam shut from the front.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #43
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Had it happen again today and yesterday. I am wondering if it could be a loose endlink. I'm going to have the dealership look at it. My wife heard it last time and thought it was the water bottle she had slamming against the lower door sill. It's a hard plastic and much lower than the dash level.
      07-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #44
phobic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

interested to see what the dealer does.
Appreciate 0