BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Underwood
BMW > Audi+ Merc. Simple math.
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 14' Wrangler

[updated] FYI Mounting Pilot Super Sport 265/295 f/r. Pics inside.

Well hello,

Just thought I would inform you of my recent change of tires.
Mounted Pilot Super Sport 265/30 19 front and 295/30 19 in the rear. Stock rims. Custom made spacers all around, think we landed at 5mm each.

The grip is simply unbelievable. My car carries around 420hp, and from first gear all the way through the gears it sticks to the tarmac (when tires are warmed up).

There are slight rubbing inside the wheelhouses. However, in the front it rubs on 3/4 turn, which is only performed when parking (slow speeds) therefore not an issue. Also, the rubbing is hardly noticeble.

In the rear, it rubs quite clearly when rolling over bigger bumps at "city speed", smaller bumps are not an issue. However, when driving on proper roads there is no rubbing at all. Yet to try them on track, but shouldn't rub.

The looks are just perfect. The strange VW beetle-style tilt for the sidewalls are gone. Now the sidewalls lines up perfect (race look).

ABS Wheels in Stockholm performed the switching of tires and fabrication of spacers, they have actually also painted my wheels BSM. These guys knows what they are doing, and provide a lot of BMW spec wheels at great prices. I can really recommend paying their website a visit, or having a chat with them if you are considering a change of wheels/tires, regardless where you are from. (They have figured out a way of fitting a single wheel to several different bolt patterns, why the cost of it all gets lowered a shit load)

www.abswheels.se

Questions? Hit me.

Update!

I got rid of the spacers in the rear, after having the car full of friends. You see with some weight on the rear, the tires started catching the fender on the outside quite badly on bigger bumps. The theory is that this will be gone now. However, will have to wait and see. Front is still no issue.

update #2

no rubbing at all, only on way to big bumps for driving quick over anyway.
Drove: 2014 M5 Competition Package, 2012 1M, 2010 GT-R

Last edited by Underwood; 10-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: Update!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-emm View Post
Well hello,

Just thought I would inform you of my recent change of tires.
Mounted Pilot Super Sport 265/30 19 front and 295/30 19 in the rear. Stock rims. Custom made spacers all around, think we landed at 5mm each.

The grip is simply unbelievable. My car carries around 420hp, and from first gear all the way through the gears it sticks to the tarmac (when tires are warmed up).

There are slight rubbing inside the wheelhouses. However, in the front it rubs on 3/4 turn, which is only performed when parking (slow speeds) therefore not an issue. Also, the rubbing is hardly noticeble.

In the rear, it rubs quite clearly when rolling over bigger bumps at "city speed", smaller bumps are not an issue. However, when driving on proper roads there is no rubbing at all. Yet to try them on track, but shouldn't rub.

The looks are just perfect. The strange VW beetle-style tilt for the sidewalls are gone. Now the sidewalls lines up perfect (race look).

ABS Wheels in Stockholm performed the switching of tires and fabrication of spacers, they have actually also painted my wheels BSM. These guys knows what they are doing, and provide a lot of BMW spec wheels at great prices. I can really recommend paying their website a visit, or having a chat with them if you are considering a change of wheels/tires, regardless where you are from. (They have figured out a way of fitting a single wheel to several different bolt patterns, why the cost of it all gets lowered a shit load)

www.abswheels.se

Questions? Hit me.

Do you think you would still rub without the spacers? Are you lowered?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Rubbing is the same without spacers.... (I'm running OEM wheels, no spacers, same size and model of tire) and I would NOT describe the rub in the rear as hardly noticeable, but the roads are very shitty here.

Grip is very good, but I hoped for more... I just did my first autocross on the PSS and I wanted a more grip,(maybe to many years of running R-comps) It was a very fast (for an autocross) run way course, well into to 3rd and I was still breaking the rear loose if I was too aggressive with my right foot
http://www.wcma.ca/new/
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
I must say that having seen your car Gary that the look of the wider tires is fantastic. I look forward to trying these sizes out once my oem tires are worn out.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I'm very happy with the size and tires... and more then ok with the rubbing but some would not be.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Personally I may go 265 & 285 to avoid some of the rubbing (in the rear).
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Underwood
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
Personally I may go 265 & 285 to avoid some of the rubbing (in the rear).
You wont go 285 with Super Sports, wrong specs... 295 is fine, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
Luca Riffer
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Just to be clear so I don't mismatch new tires and OEM rims:

OEM: PS2 tires 245/30 19 front and 265/30 19 in the rear
your new tires: PSS 265/30 19 front and 295/30 19 in the rear

That's much wider tires on the same rim; but it fits OK?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Riffer View Post
Just to be clear so I don't mismatch new tires and OEM rims:

OEM: PS2 tires 245/30 19 front and 265/30 19 in the rear
your new tires: PSS 265/30 19 front and 295/30 19 in the rear

That's much wider tires on the same rim; but it fits OK?
Stock sizes are 35 profile not 30.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic View Post
Rubbing is the same without spacers.... (I'm running OEM wheels, no spacers, same size and model of tire) and I would NOT describe the rub in the rear as hardly noticeable, but the roads are very shitty here.

Grip is very good, but I hoped for more... I just did my first autocross on the PSS and I wanted a more grip,(maybe to many years of running R-comps) It was a very fast (for an autocross) run way course, well into to 3rd and I was still breaking the rear loose if I was too aggressive with my right foot

this is a difficult car to autocross.. hard to get the power down.. easy to run into overbosst issues at the wrong time as well. M buttom makes things even worse sometimes it seems.. I switched to R tires after running 265 Hankook RS-3s all around and the R tires are much better at getting the power down
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
boostedtwin
Sheriff
Rep
Drives: spyder, Macan GTS, 4xe Rubicon

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
07 335i  [0.00]
Do you care to post more pics?
      10-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
this is a difficult car to autocross.. hard to get the power down.. easy to run into overbosst issues at the wrong time as well. M buttom makes things even worse sometimes it seems.. I switched to R tires after running 265 Hankook RS-3s all around and the R tires are much better at getting the power down
I'm sure R's would help but I don't Autocross much these days (mostly road racing).. it can be hard to autocross, but it sure is FUN to autocross... I did end the day with the fastest time on street tires, so I can't complain to much
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I've got same setup and exact same rubbing. No need for spacers, they don't do anything for ya (as you figured out). Front they rub at parking lot speed when making hard turn. Just rubs a little bit on that inner fender shroud. The updated shroud may fix the issue, but to be honest I doesn't rub enough for me to change it. On the rear it's only the back right that rubs when going over bumps. There's a little nub that sticks out on that side and it makes contact with the inside of the tire. It's extremely minor though and tire shows zero sign of wear because of it. I've got a buddy with same setup and his car has identical rubbing in rear (only right side). On the track it's not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Underwood
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I've got same setup and exact same rubbing. No need for spacers, they don't do anything for ya (as you figured out). Front they rub at parking lot speed when making hard turn. Just rubs a little bit on that inner fender shroud. The updated shroud may fix the issue, but to be honest I doesn't rub enough for me to change it. On the rear it's only the back right that rubs when going over bumps. There's a little nub that sticks out on that side and it makes contact with the inside of the tire. It's extremely minor though and tire shows zero sign of wear because of it. I've got a buddy with same setup and his car has identical rubbing in rear (only right side). On the track it's not an issue.
+1

Exactly the same setup now. I removed all spacers, and it's the best setup. Only rubs slightly on the right rear, especially when there are passengers in the rear. Front doesn't rub at all now, at least nothing worth mentioning. I feel bad putting stock size winter rubber on this coming week. So much traction, so little time to use it this season.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Yup, fun to autocross:
FWIW, the rear tires are Hoosier A6 tires 315/30-19, fronts are 265/35-19.
East:

West:
Attached Images

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.

Last edited by mattm; 11-24-2013 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Can't tell, are those stock wheels? Regardless, you sir are the fricken Man!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Forgestar F14 9"x19" and 10"x19" with 6mm added to the offset (to legal SCCA specs for A Stock or for 2014: "A Stock R").

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0